Hey everyone! I’ve declined UofT. I was also waitlisted at McMaster and am now off of that so there will be an extra spot in each now :)
I have lots of questions about Western as I provisionally accepted there. Does anybody know any current or past graduates I could connect with at Western for SLP? 
thanks in advance! 

Edited by sunnyspeech

2 hours ago, SpeechieKeen7 said:

Has anyone heard from Western since about last Wednesday? That seems to be the last time anyone mentioned getting off the waitlist

I emailed to find out what quadrant I am in and heard back pretty quickly. In terms of getting off the waitlist I heard that they continued giving offers throughout the summer last year and one person even got in in the beginning of September!! So I mean, anything could happen!

Looking for some advice: This is my first year applying to SLP programs because I actually went to school for concurrent education and am currently a teacher. In order to be eligible to apply this year I took courses I was missing from my undergrad (anatomy, physiology, cog psych) while teaching. My GPA is not the highest (rejected from Mac and U of T), but it was enough to get on Western's waitlist and I am still waiting to hear from Dal. My question is, what could I do to upgrade my application package should I try and apply again next year? I am signed up for Phonetics through U of A in the spring, and taking Orton Gillingham training in the summer. I currently teach special education (Autism) and English Language Learners, as well as some time in Kindergarten (trying to get as close to "speech populations" as I can!). Should I try taking more courses, volunteer with an SLP, or retake a course to upgrade my marks? My undergrad was 2013-17 so a little while ago. Any suggestions from those who have applied more than once are greatly appreciated! 

9 hours ago, teachtospeech said:

Looking for some advice: This is my first year applying to SLP programs because I actually went to school for concurrent education and am currently a teacher. In order to be eligible to apply this year I took courses I was missing from my undergrad (anatomy, physiology, cog psych) while teaching. My GPA is not the highest (rejected from Mac and U of T), but it was enough to get on Western's waitlist and I am still waiting to hear from Dal. My question is, what could I do to upgrade my application package should I try and apply again next year? I am signed up for Phonetics through U of A in the spring, and taking Orton Gillingham training in the summer. I currently teach special education (Autism) and English Language Learners, as well as some time in Kindergarten (trying to get as close to "speech populations" as I can!). Should I try taking more courses, volunteer with an SLP, or retake a course to upgrade my marks? My undergrad was 2013-17 so a little while ago. Any suggestions from those who have applied more than once are greatly appreciated! 

Hey! I've applied three times to Ontario schools only, it depends on what school you really want to get in. If you want to get into McMaster you obviously have to focus on sGPA only (you need a 3.85+ to be safe, but still, you'd be at the lower end of their 125 candidates), but UofT has also put a lot of weight on grades since covid (you probably need 3.80+ to have a good shot). Western definitely looks at applications more holistically but also seems a bit random, some people with amazing stats were placed in lower quadrants of their waitlist.

Keep in mind that if you retake a course, ORPAS does not replace the previous grade if it's still within your last 20 half credits. They will count both (they suck). So it only makes sense to retake a course if it's a prerequisite where you got less than A/A+. 

Not sure how your academic references are, but if you end up taking more courses it might also be a good idea to take one that has a synchronous component where you can get a strong reference, preferably in a field that's related to SLP (I think one part of the reference letter asks your referees something about your attitude towards the field of rehabilitation, or something like that).

Hope it helps and feel free to send a PM if you want more info!

I emailed mcmaster to ask if they have an update of where I now stand on the waitlist, and they said that my position on the waitlist has not changed. Does this mean that everyone who got an offer to mcmaster has accepted it? I figured that since the 15th, the waitlist would have shifted forward a bit so I am a bit confused. 

19 minutes ago, speechenthusiast said:

I emailed mcmaster to ask if they have an update of where I now stand on the waitlist, and they said that my position on the waitlist has not changed. Does this mean that everyone who got an offer to mcmaster has accepted it? I figured that since the 15th, the waitlist would have shifted forward a bit so I am a bit confused. 

Yea I’m confused about the same thing. It doesn’t make sense that they still haven’t started going down the waitlist. I’m sure not everyone accepted their offers, I’m pretty sure I saw a couple people on here mention they declined their offer from Mac.

2 hours ago, haiSLP said:

Yea I’m confused about the same thing. It doesn’t make sense that they still haven’t started going down the waitlist. I’m sure not everyone accepted their offers, I’m pretty sure I saw a couple people on here mention they declined their offer from Mac.

Hey! I declined my Mac offer so definitely a spot available :) 

On 4/17/2022 at 1:39 AM, AnnaGrad said:

Ah okay thanks for sharing! Glad to hear they make some exceptions. How long did that whole process take until they allowed it? 

Hey! Just quoting this to let you know that I’m in a pretty similar situation! I contacted McMaster and your PHYSICAL TRANSCRIPT needs to be at the office by June 30, not just the transcript on OPRAS... unfortunately, Athabascas processing times for transcripts are 5-6 weeks (the registrars office let me know). I called McMaster and explained the situation (no way I can finish the class in that time-frame because you would need to complete it by May 19th with that timeline and I have a full time job//family) and they said your offer is automatically rescinded (with nothing you can do about it) if there is no physical transcript by June 30... Western on the other hand was SO understanding and told me I could submit my transcript online via OPRAS by June 30 and then get the office an official transcript as soon as I’m done my course :) I hope this helps! Sorry I’m just seeing this now!

3 hours ago, SpeechieSar said:

Dal people: I just got a decline adresses to the wrong person... did this happen to anyone else?? Trying to figure out if it’s a mass email error or if they confused me with someone else maybe...

That’s so wierd. What did you do about it? 

8 hours ago, speechenthusiast said:

Okay I'm so confused, she said "we've reached our target admission without moving to the waitlist" how is that possible LOL

Do they send out more offers than necessary?!? Like target admission is 32 so they send out 50 or something?

8 hours ago, SpeechieSar said:

I sent them an email and called! But am still waiting to hear back.. I haven’t heard from them since like February so was VERY CONFUSED when I got an email declining someone else...

So strange! But hopefully this means they’re about to send out emails any minute now…