MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

4 hours ago, swifteggtart said:

same here, still waiting for interview from RISD Digital+Media while finding others already admitted. 

I received an interview email from RISD Digital + Media on Jan 27th. The first email said Feb 3rd, but they invited to meet on the 31st. I have not heard back from them since…

I appreciate reading through this forum, so I’m going to put the universities that I applied to and their dates for any current or future applicants (typing out school names for search):

Rhode Island School of Design Digital + Media (RISD D+M): Applied by Jan 10. Interview invite on Jan 27. Interview on Jan 31. Waiting to hear back from them as of Feb 23 (I’m really hoping as they are my top choice)

Massachusetts College of Art and Design Dynamic Media Institute (MassArt DMI): Applied by Jan 13. Interview invite on Feb 9. Interview on Feb 15. Unofficial acceptance Feb 16. Supposedly March is when official results come out. 

Virginia Commonwealth University Kinetic Imaging (VCU KI): Applied by Jan 13. Interview invite on Feb 11. Interview on Feb 16th. I really messed up my interview for VCU at this point, but still hoping to hear back from them.

Pratt Interactive Arts: Applied by Jan 12. Still waiting to hear from them…

On 2/22/2022 at 3:17 PM, oli_czhang said:

Just got an invitation for interview from MassArt. I'm going to have 2 interviews on Thursday. Panicking. 

Also anyone heard from Pratt sculpture yet?

I am still waiting to hear from Pratt but I applied for Printmaking. Has anyone heard from them?

28 minutes ago, ABLBDB345 said:

I am still waiting to hear from Pratt but I applied for Printmaking. Has anyone heard from them?

I'm Pratt Painting and I haven't heard anything either.  I emailed the grad department head on the 10th and he said a few weeks.  Not sure how long that'll be tho..

Hi everyone, 

posting updates for my Yale interview earlier today. Hopefully it can give future applicants some kind of comfort by knowing what to expect❤️ 

University: Yale 

Program: Graphic Design - Preliminary Program

Applicant: International student, science background

Application deadline: Jan. 9 (4 days extension due to Covid) 

Interview invite: Feb. 2 (email notification to check the application status through the portal) 

Interview dates: Feb. 18, 22, or 23 (we got to choose the suitable date and time through the portal) 

you will do two interviews, a formal one with faculty, and a non-formal one with students. 

one day before the interview, you will receive an email with the faculty and student names that will be interviewing you, along with zoom links. 

I was interviewed by 6 faculty members, very nice and conversational interview. Basic questions, they will not challenge you or test your knowledge. Just asking general questions about your plans, and why you chose the school and other questions related to the pieces you’ll be presenting. The interview is 35 minutes (15-20 min. to showcase 4-6 of your pieces and talk about them, the remaining is for questions). 

I had my non-formal student interview 10 minutes after the faculty interview. The purpose of this is for you to ask questions about the university, program, community etc. my interview was with 2 students for 20 minutes. Both were very friendly and helpful. 

Expecting to hear final decisions by next week, hoping for the best ?? 

23 hours ago, eatyoveggies said:

Anyone else out there apply to Georgia State?? I was waitlisted today after my interview on Sunday. Didn't think it went the best, it was very formal. Ah well.

Also wondering if anyone has heard from Indiana, Arizona State, or UNC Greensboro. This wait is killing me... At least GSU made a decision quickly...ahhhh

Hi! Did you get respond from UNC Greensboro?

On 2/22/2022 at 6:40 PM, seelamfa22 said:

Congratulations! Are you comfortable sharing with us what scholarships or financial aid awards you received with RISD? I am curious if their financial aid practices have changed from previous years. Thank you.

Sure. I was offered about half of the tuition cost for both years + 5k TA position (I think someone else on this forum mentioned this as well). 

Does anyone have advice on how to negotiate for more? Anyone have experience in successful negotiations in the past? Thanks!!

4 minutes ago, nobodyok said:

Oh no! Do you mean they sent out interview emails already? I applied in Sculpture, what about you?

The deadline for UF was the 15th so I think there’s still hope for everyone. They’re only a week into review

2 hours ago, hellotothefuture said:

He everyone! 

I got an interview with University of Notre Dame MFA Sculpture on Friday. Just received an email.

Congrats! I had an interview with Notre Dame for photography on 2/16 and it went okay-ish. If the same questions are used department wide, they will ask: introduce yourself and tell us about who you are, can you explain the work you make and why you make it, are you comfortable in a research based environment, how do you think your work will change or will it stay the same, who are your inspirations.

They notified me that every medium only accepts 1 student and the program is extremely research-based. So good luck!!