2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

Just now, scared_phd said:

Is that an actual fact? Like if an institution emails you there has been a status update and to go check portal, is it most definitely a rejection? I have always wondered.

I've seen several acceptance claims of people who saw it on the portal first, then got the email the next day. 

14 minutes ago, scared_phd said:

Is that an actual fact? Like if an institution emails you there has been a status update and to go check portal, is it most definitely a rejection? I have always wondered.

Not necessarily, but I think it is slightly more likely to be a rejection or waitlist based on the fact that many people who have gotten acceptances seem to have gotten emails from the DGS directly or a POI directly (or some sort of invitation to an admit weekend/funding offer accompanying an original email offer).

But at the end of the day, every school is different, every experience is different. Anything can happen!

1 hour ago, modesteffect said:

Refrain yourself from refreshing the portals guys. Results without email first are always rejections! 

This is not true. My cycle was a few years ago but iirc at least maybe Yale and definitely Columbia sent a "check your portal" situation where everyone learned at the same time. 

ETA: I got into both. That's how I know that the "check your portal" email didn't universally lead to rejection. 

Edited by uncle_socks

59 minutes ago, scared_phd said:

Mostly, if they want you, they are eager to tell you.

Edited by modesteffect

8 minutes ago, uncle_socks said:

This is not true. My cycle was a few years ago but iirc at least maybe Yale and definitely Columbia sent a "check your portal" situation where everyone learned at the same time. 

I mean, sure you will have 1-2 schools being surrenptitious...but in most cases, email comes first.

4 minutes ago, modesteffect said:

actually, not refreshing portals reduces anxiety. do something else!

No one's saying to refresh portals, I agree here, don't refresh portals. You'll get a "check your portal" email almost always right as the portal gets updated, if they update through portals at all. Most places I got into didn't really update portals -- in most cases even after you get accepted/rejected, the portal doesn't update for a little while. My rejections all came through email. 

I'm saying a "check your portal" email doesn't equal a rejection. The department won't always email you first. 

Edited by uncle_socks

2 hours ago, hawnsay said:

Anybody here claiming one of those acceptances or waitlists for Minnesota? Or how about the solo acceptances posted for UGA or UConn? I just find it a bit sus that for these two schools, there has only been one acceptance claimed for each campus.

the UGA acceptance is me - I got an email from the DGS with acceptance and funding info but portal is actually not updated yet. More info on decision process below, copy pasted from the FAQ on the department PhD application page:

• When will I hear whether I’ve been accepted for admission?

Once your file is complete, it will be considered at the next Graduate Committee meeting. The committee will discuss and vote on your application and then send its recommendation to the Graduate School, which makes the official decision on your application. The Graduate School normally contacts you 1-2 weeks after the Departmental recommendation is submitted. If your application arrives by our priority consideration deadline (December 1), you can anticipate receiving a decision by late February.

1 hour ago, zoooxu said:

UCSD started around Jan.28 last year, 11:05am to be precise, according to my friend who got in last year. 

Yeah I got rejected on Jan 28, 2021 at 12:15 PM and received my invite to apply to the MPP or MIA program on Feb 8, 2021 at 11:24 AM. 

38 minutes ago, ekb98 said:

the UGA acceptance is me - I got an email from the DGS with acceptance and funding info but portal is actually not updated yet. More info on decision process below, copy pasted from the FAQ on the department PhD application page:

• When will I hear whether I’ve been accepted for admission?

Once your file is complete, it will be considered at the next Graduate Committee meeting. The committee will discuss and vote on your application and then send its recommendation to the Graduate School, which makes the official decision on your application. The Graduate School normally contacts you 1-2 weeks after the Departmental recommendation is submitted. If your application arrives by our priority consideration deadline (December 1), you can anticipate receiving a decision by late February.

Thanks for confirming. Congrats and I guess you lucked out on hearing back in January.  I applied before the priority deadline too so I'm still on the lookout.  If you don't mind me asking, what did they offer for funding (specifically the stipend amount)?

1 hour ago, uncle_socks said:

No one's saying to refresh portals, I agree here, don't refresh portals. You'll get a "check your portal" email almost always right as the portal gets updated, if they update through portals at all. Most places I got into didn't really update portals -- in most cases even after you get accepted/rejected, the portal doesn't update for a little while. My rejections all came through email. 

I'm saying a "check your portal" email doesn't equal a rejection. The department won't always email you first. 

Yeah, I would agree, i saw somebdy posting: check each of their application portals multiple times a day...

1 hour ago, IAMK said:

Has anyone got an interview offer from MSU yet? I am really nervous.

I got admitted to MSU without an interview last year. I am not sure if they changed the procedure this year but not hearing about an interview might still be a good sign for MSU.

3 minutes ago, modesteffect said:

Yeah, I would agree, i saw somebdy posting: check each of their application portals multiple times a day...

I think it was me. And while I will say that I was mostly joking, it kinda helps reduce my anxiety.

This is a very anxious time for everyone, and we all deal with anxiety differently. For some, it might be easier to disconnect from their apps and wait it out. For me, I am currently dealing with the two-person problem where my partner of 5 years and I are applying to Ph.D. programs (he is neuroscience), and we are super anxious that we will be separated for the next 5-7 years. So I check my portals because 1) it helps me pass the time, and 2) it reminds me that I am still in the running for my programs and still have the chance to stay with my partner.

I know you probably made this comment in good fun; still, I wanted to share my personal thought process on why I check portals multiple times a day. Wishing you a successful app cycle, and I'm rooting for you.

4 minutes ago, DanTheGrad said:

I think it was me. And while I will say that I was mostly joking, it kinda helps reduce my anxiety.

This is a very anxious time for everyone, and we all deal with anxiety differently. For some, it might be easier to disconnect from their apps and wait it out. For me, I am currently dealing with the two-person problem where my partner of 5 years and I are applying to Ph.D. programs (he is neuroscience), and we are super anxious that we will be separated for the next 5-7 years. So I check my portals because 1) it helps me pass the time, and 2) it reminds me that I am still in the running for my programs and still have the chance to stay with my partner.

I know you probably made this comment in good fun; still, I wanted to share my personal thought process on why I check portals multiple times a day. Wishing you a successful app cycle, and I'm rooting for you.

I get that! I was trying to say not refreshing the portals while focusing on other stuff reduces anxiety. You can start an online game and when you get addicted to it for a few weeks, the cycle ends, and you will find time flies...

Congrats to him or her who just got the UCB offer! It will be great if you can share any details with us such as the cohort size or anything!

Edited by zoooxu

58 minutes ago, hawnsay said:

Thanks for confirming. Congrats and I guess you lucked out on hearing back in January.  I applied before the priority deadline too so I'm still on the lookout.  If you don't mind me asking, what did they offer for funding (specifically the stipend amount)?

No prob! Stipend was about $15,000, with a nom for a fellowship that would add $7k/year. I believe its based on doing some kind of assistantship all 5 yrs.

edit: and thank you! I'm excited ? 

Edited by ekb98

20 minutes ago, bmo103 said:

Another UCB acceptance. My stomach hurts. 

Do we think these are real? It’s 5:30 pm in California right now, would they be sending acceptances after business hours?

Seems so, a third one, incl. cp and ir now

For the past three cycles I've been on this forum, every year around this time there would be fake posts about Berkeley acceptance. Judging by the fact that nobody in this forum claims these acceptances so far, I would be inclined to say that this is just part of this weird tradition...Although typically, when these posts take place, it means that real admission decisions are coming in...

Edited by ETea24

4 hours ago, hawnsay said:

Anybody here claiming one of those acceptances or waitlists for Minnesota? Or how about the solo acceptances posted for UGA or UConn? I just find it a bit sus that for these two schools, there has only been one acceptance claimed for each campus.

I claimed the acceptance for U of Minnesota. CP