2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

5 minutes ago, CapTipps said:

Same here, 1st time though. Kinda intrigued, because I got offers from OSU and Minnesota, and I feel UW-Madison is a similar program... but anyway, I already gave up trying to understand admissions decisions haha

In the same boat. I had talked with a POI there and thought this was the ONE school I would get into if nowhere else. I have an offer from BU and waitlist from GWU, but I really had hope for UWM. I hadn't talked or interacted with anyone from the other schools. Oh well!

Just now, smallcrown said:

Congrats!! That's awesome!

They told me that they only had 8 spots for this cycle. And you got one!!

Huh, that sounds awfully small. Did they mention the number of applicants this year?

5 minutes ago, PolishPhD said:

Also received a rejection from UW-Madison. First of the season :(

5 minutes ago, PoliCommsGirl said:

In the same boat. I had talked with a POI there and thought this was the ONE school I would get into if nowhere else. I have an offer from BU and waitlist from GWU, but I really had hope for UWM. I hadn't talked or interacted with anyone from the other schools. Oh well!

Hang in there!!! This is tough. I am an international student, so I don't know a lot about reputation/department culture at UWM, but I heard they would admit a very small cohort this year and that they were struggling with funding offers... So I guess the news are disappointing, but the reasons can be many. Also I think it's better to be rejected than admitted without funding, so... 

1 minute ago, scared_phd said:

Huh, that sounds awfully small. Did they mention the number of applicants this year?

I don't think they did. They just said the usual mambo jumbo about having an amazing pool of applicants but only a limited number of spots and stuff like that. Very long but sort of generic email with the 8 spots available as only real information. 

I did ask what the application was lacking and how to make it stronger for next year - they didn't say anything about that. It's very nice that they replied at all though. 

23 minutes ago, polisciboy said:

Got rejected from Madison today and that was supposed to be one of my safety schools...am I f**ked?

I don't wish to come off as a jerk, but isn't Madison a bit too higher ranked to be a safety? I didn't apply there, but if I had I'd have definitely considered it as a reach school. Then again, our profiles are very different. Best of luck for the rest of your applications!! 

28 minutes ago, polisciboy said:

Got rejected from Madison today and that was supposed to be one of my safety schools...am I f**ked?

I don’t think safeties really exist for PhDs, especially when you are still in the top ~20. Admissions is often as much about fit as qualifications. People get rejected from their bottom choice and accepted into their top choice. Admissions are weird.

11 minutes ago, jjiffy said:

I don’t think safeties really exist for PhDs, especially when you are still in the top ~20. Admissions is often as much about fit as qualifications. People get rejected from their bottom choice and accepted into their top choice. Admissions are weird.

I couldn't agree more! The process is so random that you don't even know what and how many boxes you have to tick to get in. Admissions committees also change considerably every year so somebody that was accepted last year may get rejected this cycle even if they use the same materials. My mentors were kind enough to point this out and let me know not to take the decisions personally as I can easily use the same materials the next year and get accepted to a few of the programs that reject me this year. 

Edited by scared_phd

35 minutes ago, polisciboy said:

I agree with the previous posters~ Also, this forum is filled with very overwhelmed people waiting on pretty life-changing results so I'd be more careful with how you publicly describe and react towards the schools you do or don't get into as it can make an already difficult process even more difficult for everyone. I, for one, would consider it a dream come true to be accepted in a school like Madison. But I'm sure that rejection was hard on you so I understand, just food for thought

@jjiffy @scared_phd thanks for the advice, that's actually really helpful

@sbidyanta @Lighthopes thanks for pointing out that my post was somewhat callous, I think calling it a "safety" school is a bad term tbh, I just thought I had a pretty good chance at getting accepted/thought I would be a good fit so was a little bummed when I got a reject this morning!

1 minute ago, Paul123fasd said:

@scared_phd  @LatinAmericanFootball

Contrats both of you!

Did you guys reply back to the email? Not sure how to process things from here lol

Thanks, congrats to you too!

Yeah, I basically replied thanking the DGA for the great news, saying how excited I am, and confirming I would attend the virtual visit.

This week started off with an early morning rejection from the University of Florida and it's hard not to feel a little depressed, discouraged, and more anxious. 

Still rooting for every single one of you - just wanted to share where I'm at right now. 

3 hours ago, polisciboy said:

Absolutely not. There are so many applicants for so few spots at all of these places that at least half of this is blind luck. Safety schools don't work for PhD applications; you might get the boot from a program ranked in the 40s and then get into a T20. That's part of why this is so hard! The odds will land in your favor at some point!!! You got this.

Also claiming a rejection from UW. 

Posting just because there's a lot of high stakes here, and I know we are all stressed. I want to mention that there are about a thousand reasons why you can be rejected from a program that are outside the realm of talent. 

Academia is collapsing, and that means opprotunities and funding (especially in the social sciences) are going to continue to decline. This has nothing to do with individual potential; I can tell by everyone's scores and interest that everyone here is motivated and brilliant. 

Best of luck to everyone. If you get your choice, congrats. If not, there is a whole world of engaging and financially rewarding outside of graduate school. Stay strong!