NSERC PGS D 2022-2023

MarleyBarley

Also just a general question for those of us lucky to have, or have had, external funding support - does your supervisor remove/claw-back (some or all) of their portion of your funding package? I had that happen last year with OGS so my net gain from that scholarship was only about 1k ? 

2 minutes ago, breadhead said:

Not that I'm complaining about 1k in additional financial support! Just a bit of a hit due to the amount of the award vs. the amount I actually saw.

Depends on your supervisor and program. Check your institution and departments Grad Studies guidance documentation. I fully expect that my department is going to rescind ~$12K/y in funding if I'm lucky enough to get either PGS-D or CGS-D.

5 minutes ago, breadhead said:

Also just a general question for those of us lucky to have, or have had, external funding support - does your supervisor remove/claw-back (some or all) of their portion of your funding package? I had that happen last year with OGS so my net gain from that scholarship was only about 1k ? 

In my experience it depends on the school and potentially even the faculty. At least for me, I received CGS M at McMaster in engineering physics, and I received the full amount of the scholarship and my stipend. I never understood clawbacks, it takes away motivation to apply and students aren't exactly paid well in the first place. Not to mention cost of living soaring these days 

Edited by Undeadmudkipz

Wait there are places where you actually see the money from it though? My stipend is higher than the PGS-D, so as I understand it the award would just replace that part of my stipend and I wouldn't actually see a pay increase?

1 minute ago, nerd_inthecorner said:

Wait there are places where you actually see the money from it though? My stipend is higher than the PGS-D, so as I understand it the award would just replace that part of my stipend and I wouldn't actually see a pay increase?

Yes, from my understanding it's up to your supervisor. Mine will let me keep all of my stipend if I get NSERC so I'm really hoping for it.

It all depends on your supervisor/school/faculty etc.

2 minutes ago, nerd_inthecorner said:

6 minutes ago, KierDoyle said:

It all depends on your supervisor/school/faculty etc.

I think applicants at international schools get the money straight in their bank account.  I had a friend who got the award in the states and her advisor told her not to tell the department so that her wage from the university remained the same and she got the award on top of that.

8 minutes ago, Care_bou said:

I think applicants at international schools get the money straight in their bank account.  I had a friend who got the award in the states and her advisor told her not to tell the department so that her wage from the university remained the same and she got the award on top of that.

They do, I'm one of them... but don't I *have* to tell the department?

Or are you saying I can just.... 

I don't think I can because my advisor is the one who pays for me, though, at least to an extent

Just now, Friendly NBHD Grad Student said:

35-40% of us will which are pretty good odds...

Yeah, it's a reasonable shot. Still more applicants won't get chosen than will, but somehow I think that a lot of the people hanging out here are the obsessive types who are pretty decent at research and writing applications. 

Just a guess.

Just now, nerd_inthecorner said:

They do, I'm one of them... but don't I *have* to tell the department?

Or are you saying I can just.... 

I don't think I can because my advisor is the one who pays for me, though, at least to an extent

Yeah, I guess the choice is with your advisor still, then. Like they can choose not to alert the department since the university isn't involved in the application process like in Canada.  I'm in the same boat, and with a new advisor so not sure how we'll handle the funds if I actually get lucky.  Was wait-listed last year, but pretty far down the list...

9 minutes ago, Friendly NBHD Grad Student said:

35-40% of us will which are pretty good odds...

But that's like 40% of all applicants across years, some of which are applying for the second year and some first. I'm applying in first, so I'm just going to assume it's pretty skewed since you have a year more for research.

4 minutes ago, nerd_inthecorner said:

But that's like 40% of all applicants across years, some of which are applying for the second year and some first. I'm applying in first, so I'm just going to assume it's pretty skewed since you have a year more for research.

Yes but 2nd year masters and 3rd and 4th year PhD students aren't eligible to apply. After courses and TAing, that doesn't leave a lot of time for people to get ahead in reasearch IMO.