2022 Applicants

On 1/31/2022 at 10:58 PM, Cordelipup said:

I haven't heard back from schools either way this year, but in my handful of rejections last year, each one mentioned the drastic increase in applicants. Has anyone heard from programs about a similar trend happening this year?

Good luck getting through this week!

A lot more people from my undergraduate institution are applying to English programs this year. Not sure about across the board, but I would expect so... :(

On 1/31/2022 at 11:28 AM, Cordelipup said:

I'm excited to see all these UNC acceptances on the board!

I did not apply to this school, but it seems that they have released results earlier than in previous years. Has anyone noticed this with other schools?

I haven't heard back from schools either way this year, but in my handful of rejections last year, each one mentioned the drastic increase in applicants. Has anyone heard from programs about a similar trend happening this year?

Good luck getting through this week!

I have a professor who I've kept in touch with over the years. She's at Yale, now. I applied there, and I emailed her to say thank you for writing letters (to all but Yale, ofc) and she got back to me with a warm remark but also to say that they've seen even more applications this go around. I feel that's going to be pretty on brand for the industry. 

/sigh. Best of luck to all of us participating in this lottocracy! ?

10 hours ago, Hard times! said:

And yes, an early acceptance is even better! I mean grad school admissions involve so much nerves and to be able to relax and know that you have made it to at least one place is such a relief. Congratulations on the unburdening too :) hope you have positive news from more places :)

Oh yea, the unburdening and the early acceptance are huge. I finally understand what people mean when they say "you need to be sitting down for this"! My friends keep asking me how I feel, and all I could say that first day was "I'm so relieved." It's wild how relief is the strongest emotion at play here!

Also, thank you to everyone for the congrats and warm wishes!

I just got my first acceptance (UC Davis) and am almost in tears. After starting with 4 rejections, I was having a lot of anxiety and fear. I want to give a shout out to this message board for being so supportive and kind. I haven't been posting much this cycle, but reading y'alls comments to each other has been really helpful and comforting. All the best to everyone!!!!

2 minutes ago, illcounsel said:

I just got my first acceptance (UC Davis) and am almost in tears. After starting with 4 rejections, I was having a lot of anxiety and fear. I want to give a shout out to this message board for being so supportive and kind. I haven't been posting much this cycle, but reading y'alls comments to each other has been really helpful and comforting. All the best to everyone!!!!

Congratulations! Very heartening news :) now you can sleep well *starry eyed*

1 hour ago, illcounsel said:

Congratulations!!! So so stoked for you. I saw that Davis acceptances were trickling in and am now feverishly refreshing my email. *lightly hyperventilates*

I saw the Cornell accept a couple days ago, and Cornell is very much my dream school, so now I'm just sitting here refreshing everything constantly ? And UMass Amherst very rudely has had my status at "Update Pending" for over 24 hours

26 minutes ago, zetasp said:

I saw the Cornell accept a couple days ago, and Cornell is very much my dream school, so now I'm just sitting here refreshing everything constantly ? And UMass Amherst very rudely has had my status at "Update Pending" for over 24 hours

I got an email last night letting me know my UMass app was updated and mine is still saying "Update Pending" as well! I've not only been obsessively refreshing it all day, but I've also been looking at past years to see if people have been accepted in that way (as opposed to receiving a personal email from someone in the department). It seems like many people in past years have been accepted in late Jan/very early Feb but a handful have also been rejected during that time. Gah!

I just got offered admission to University of Oregon via email! I'm so stoked, this was the only school I applied to back in 2020, and I applied in 2021 but they decided not to have an admissions cycle last minute (because of the pandemic). Thanks to the folks in this forum, because tbh I had no idea what I was doing when I first applied haha

11 hours ago, zetasp said:

Yeah I saw that too... I also really want Cornell, fingers crossed for us ??

8 hours ago, VicLitGuy said:

Congrats to everyone hearing good news! Things are starting to heat it up seems ...

Yes, congrats to all those who have received offers and good luck to all those who are awaiting decisions any time now. I don't know how I ended up applying to only those places that do not send out decisions before the third week of Feb (and that's only for three) or the first week of March (barring UIUC which is gone anyway)! This wait, oh!

Was worried about Cornell because I was seeing accepts... But got one myself today! Does anyone have any idea what I should talk with professors about over the phone? I feel like I already know all about the program. Maybe I should ask who wants to work with me?

Hey everyone! I'm new here and only applied to a couple of english/lit programs this round since my background is in history. 

Has anyone heard any news on Johns Hopkins or University of Colorado Boulder? I saw a couple of UoOregon results get posted (congrats to the acceptance!), so I'm anxious to hear back about those hopefully soon!

Hope everyone has had a good week. I'm starting to grow slightly worried -- I've applied to a bunch of places, with no success so far. I thought I tried my hardest on my materials -- which includes spending a long time thinking about "fit." I don't know what goes into making decisions, but I hope that we can all have good fortune this cycle. Until then, I just got to stay positive -- anything is possible.

Edited by thecat00

5 minutes ago, thecat00 said:

Hope everyone has had a good week. I'm starting to grow slightly worried -- I've applied to a bunch of places, with no success so far. I thought I tried my hardest on my materials -- which includes spending a long time thinking about "fit." I don't know what goes into making decisions, but I hope that we can all have good fortune this cycle. Until then, I just got to stay positive -- anything is possible.

Yes, let's hope it ends well--after all, as many have already said, you need only one acceptance! 

Most programmes I applied to are yet to release their decisions but my heart has been sinking this whole week.

All the best and have a nice weekend :)!

11 hours ago, Submarina said:

Was worried about Cornell because I was seeing accepts... But got one myself today! Does anyone have any idea what I should talk with professors about over the phone? I feel like I already know all about the program. Maybe I should ask who wants to work with me?

Congrats! Cornell is a dream school for sure. I don’t have any advice, but they already accepted you, so I’m sure they won’t be grilling you or anything! 

4 hours ago, medievalpeasant said:

Has anyone heard any news on Johns Hopkins or University of Colorado Boulder?

I also applied to Boulder and havent heard anything. It looks like they typically don’t send decisions until late Feb or early March.

59 minutes ago, sadevilminion said:

I also applied to Boulder and havent heard anything. It looks like they typically don’t send decisions until late Feb or early March.

I have applied to Boulder as well but nothing as yet. It's hard to determine when they release their decisions because there are only about 50 posts over a span of decade on gradcafe for Boulder's English department. Some acceptances seem to have gone out quite early in the past years (as early as February 5) and some acceptances have gone out in late February. The rejections have always been late though. Also, what I gather from the previous posts is they tend to have very small cohort sizes (4-5, though that number is not official). Haha if only all these calculations amounted to something!

6 hours ago, medievalpeasant said:

Has anyone heard any news on Johns Hopkins or University of Colorado Boulder? I saw a couple of UoOregon results get posted (congrats to the acceptance!), so I'm anxious to hear back about those hopefully soon!

I'm also waiting on Boulder and Oregon, seems weird that the latter's decisions have been trickling in so slowly. Adcomms are frustratingly shrouded in mystery. Everyone remember to shut off the computer occasionally and do some self-care! This is an intense time but it's still early in the decisions cycle.

Edited by forgottenworks

1 hour ago, why_tho said:

Hello everyone, congratulation to everyone with acceptances! Has anyone gotten any interview invites from Columbia this season? Good luck to all! 

I'm also curious about this. I thought Columbia doesn't usually do interviews (but I may be wrong). It's my #1 choice so crossing my fingers.

2 hours ago, sadevilminion said:

Congrats! Cornell is a dream school for sure. I don’t have any advice, but they already accepted you, so I’m sure they won’t be grilling you or anything! 

Thanks so much! That's reassuring to hear!

6 minutes ago, Cordelipup said:

Has anyone heard from UCI? In the past several years they have sent interview requests around this time.

I applied and haven't heard back, for what it's worth (English PhD). But I also applied last year, didn't get in, and didn't really substantively change my app. :X