Environmental Management and Policy 2022

youngturtle

18 hours ago, Chai23 said:

Hey! Has anyone heard back from Columbia  for the MSSM program? Could you let me know what your timeline looked like. It’s rolling admissions so I’m quite anxious!! 

I heard back! It was probably 3.5 months after I submitted though....which was annoying considering they say 4-6 weeks. My other friend that applied waited 7 month!

42 minutes ago, gradschoolgirl said:

I heard back! It was probably 3.5 months after I submitted though....which was annoying considering they say 4-6 weeks. My other friend that applied waited 7 month!

Oh no! You're kidding :(

I'm an International student and had to apply for WES evaluation first, which took so long. Finally my application went into consideration just a week ago. 

I have also received an offer from King's College London, and I need to reply to them by 25th April. I really pray I get my Columbia response before that ?

44 minutes ago, gradschoolgirl said:

I hope you received a positive response tho!

Have you decided which university you will be going to this fall?

Just now, Chai23 said:

I hope you received a positive response tho!

Have you decided which university you will be going to this fall?

I think I will be going to Columbia. I was waitlisted at YSE and got into Georgetown, but Columbia was always my first choice. Don't be afraid to call them! I called them often and even wrote a letter because I was afraid I wouldn't hear back before I had to give other schools an answer and they honestly responded quite well.

3 hours ago, gradschoolgirl said:

2 hours ago, gradschoolgirl said:

I think I will be going to Columbia. I was waitlisted at YSE and got into Georgetown, but Columbia was always my first choice. Don't be afraid to call them! I called them often and even wrote a letter because I was afraid I wouldn't hear back before I had to give other schools an answer and they honestly responded quite well.

That’s so exciting!! Congrats ❤️❤️ I hope I hear good news from Columbia soon, I had a very late application so I’m quite nervous but *fingers crossed*

On 3/12/2022 at 12:55 AM, ramreg said:

yale decision is out for me on my portal! i was accepted! received an email that told me to check just now. 

Congrats! That's awesome!!

Are you waiting on other college responses or will you be going to YSE?

Accepted to Duke Nicholas (Energy & Environment track) and Michigan SEAS (Sustainable Systems track).  Rejected from UCSB Bren and Yale School of Environment.  Also accepted to some urban planning programs (i.e. USC, UPenn, Cornell, UVA, Tufts).  Anyone deciding between urban planning and environmental management?  I feel like the urban planning programs are more of a narrow lane whereas the environmental management programs are more open ended.  I feel like if you don't want to be an urban planner or work in real estate development than environmental management is the way to go.  Leaning towards Duke.

47 minutes ago, renewables22 said:

Accepted to Duke Nicholas (Energy & Environment track) and Michigan SEAS (Sustainable Systems track).  Rejected from UCSB Bren and Yale School of Environment.  Also accepted to some urban planning programs (i.e. USC, UPenn, Cornell, UVA, Tufts).  Anyone deciding between urban planning and environmental management?  I feel like the urban planning programs are more of a narrow lane whereas the environmental management programs are more open ended.  I feel like if you don't want to be an urban planner or work in real estate development than environmental management is the way to go.  Leaning towards Duke.

I think you or more or less correct.  Urban planning is much more nuanced and specific to that space. That said, it does afford its own positive attributes. 

3 hours ago, renewables22 said:

Adding to what @Boolakanakasaid, which I agree with - at YSE there are a  couple of urban planning classes and a very strong urban learning community. Can’t speak for the other MEM schools but I imagine they might have some too, to scratch your urban planning itch

On 3/28/2022 at 2:27 PM, renewables22 said:

I can say Duke itself definitely doesn't have anything in the way of urban planning, but UNC has a department that NSOE students can get a certificate from or do a dual degree

Really need help deciding!

I have been accepted to my top 2 choice programs - University of Michigan for an MS in environmental policy and planning, and Columbia Climate School for an MA in climate and society.

After visiting Michigan for admitted students days, I was fairly confident that I would choose Columbia. Columbia is my top choice, the program is 1 year instead of 2 (aka one year less of tuition), and I would much rather live in New York than Ann Arbor. Columbia hadn’t offered me any scholarship, but it would still be cheaper than Michigan overall because of the program length.

However, I just got word that Michigan is offering me additional scholarship money, which in total would essentially cover the entire first semester of tuition. I’ve also been informed that I would be invited to apply for other scholarships once I’m there, which would put a huge dent in the tuition cost.

Would it be crazy to still choose Columbia? I’ve always heard to go with the cheapest option for grad school, but my heart still wants to go with Columbia. Another consideration, though, is that the Climate School has very recently been established, and Michigan has a long and accomplished history. Does anyone know anything about the columbia climate school? or just have any thoughts in general? Thank you!!!

On 4/1/2022 at 12:47 PM, lemonscone said:

I have been accepted to my top 2 choice programs - University of Michigan for an MS in environmental policy and planning, and Columbia Climate School for an MA in climate and society.

After visiting Michigan for admitted students days, I was fairly confident that I would choose Columbia. Columbia is my top choice, the program is 1 year instead of 2 (aka one year less of tuition), and I would much rather live in New York than Ann Arbor. Columbia hadn’t offered me any scholarship, but it would still be cheaper than Michigan overall because of the program length.

However, I just got word that Michigan is offering me additional scholarship money, which in total would essentially cover the entire first semester of tuition. I’ve also been informed that I would be invited to apply for other scholarships once I’m there, which would put a huge dent in the tuition cost.

Would it be crazy to still choose Columbia? I’ve always heard to go with the cheapest option for grad school, but my heart still wants to go with Columbia. Another consideration, though, is that the Climate School has very recently been established, and Michigan has a long and accomplished history. Does anyone know anything about the columbia climate school? or just have any thoughts in general? Thank you!!!

Hey, I'll give the perspective of someone who also just got accepted into grad programs but hasn't yet attended. 

IMO, one of the best things about grad school is the skills and connections you develop during your time there. For that reason, I think that two years is better than one, it gives you more time to develop skills, do independent projects, have a summer internship, and make those connections. Columbia's program means that you're dedicating one entire year to education and no opportunity for a fellowship in between summers. However, I feel like that's more important if you're younger, like me, and you have limited real-world environmental career experience. Also, two years of schooling gives you the freedom to explore classes that you might not have the ability to explore in a one year, crunched, program like that of Columbia's. 

*AND* like you said, Michigan has a much longer and accomplished history. But ultimately it's up to you and there are so many factors that you can't compare quantitatively! If your heart is all in on Columbia and it'll give you what you need out of a program, go for it:)

On 4/1/2022 at 10:17 PM, lemonscone said:

Hey,

Congrats.

I can understand and relate to the dilemma. I think the main differentiators are your career stage, future plans, and financials. The weights may differ person to person though and hence the overall outcome. 

For example, for someone with a plan to go for a PhD after Master's, one year research-based program may still be a great choice given it increases your chances to land a PhD at a better place. Similarly, for someone in their middle of the industry career, one year professional program will be an excellent proposition. However, if you are just out of undergrad, I would personally recommend a two-year program. All of this is irrespective to your financial condition, which is often the biggest constraint for many people like me. You are obviously the best judge though.

I too have offer from Michigan for SusSys track, however, haven't heard anything on funding which is the limiting factor for me. Please let me know if they themselves sent you funding information last week, or did you request them to reconsider your funding status given you were not awarded fin-aid initially?

Edited by harstechp

On 3/22/2022 at 7:59 PM, gradschoolgirl said:

Hey! Your advice was very helpful. I reached out to Columbia to expedite the decision process and they did! I received my admit letter yesterday!! Super stoked

Do you know any groups (facebook/whatsapp) that we can join to connect with other students?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Pru, I was waitlisted at YSE this cycle and reached out to them a couple of weeks ago. Apparently they'll admit students throughout the summer as spots open up but I have a feeling they might have (?) filled their class at this point. Yale started notifying students the week after the April 15th deposit deadline (as seen above, congratulations!) but you could always send them a letter of continued interest if you haven't already, and they will add it to your file. From a different forum post, it looks like YSE accepted around 15% of applicants, so it was a pretty competitive cycle! 

I was admitted to Duke last year but withdrew from the program relatively late in the summer because it didn't feel like a good fit for me personally and I wasn't sure about the large cohort size. I do recall people getting off the waitlist around this time and later, so hopefully you'll hear some good news soon :)

-

I'll be heading to Tufts in the fall for their Urban + Environmental Planning and Policy program, which I'm really excited about. They have a strong GIS and climate science component and offered me generous ($$$+) funding. The students I've met were great too and had that kind of crunchy, Yale Forestry vibe that made the above a dream school for me in the first place, so I'm happy with the way things turned out. 

Good luck to everyone on their grad school journeys! 

Edited by chaparralcountry