Environmental Management and Policy 2022

youngturtle

Anyone else having major anxiety around funding? I think I was overly optimistic about the amount of funding I would receive. I've gotten (and not gotten) scholarships from different programs, but all options still lead to a lot of student loans. 

If it's not too forward, how is everyone planning on paying for this? Are people applying for a lot of external scholarships, counting on TA positions or research assistantships, or just taking out loans? Is it smart to take on a lot of debt for a masters in a field that historically doesn't have the highest salary range? I've gotten into some of my dream programs, but I'm not sure if I should even go at all if I would have to go into too much debt.

4 minutes ago, lemonscone said:

Anyone else having major anxiety around funding? I think I was overly optimistic about the amount of funding I would receive. I've gotten (and not gotten) scholarships from different programs, but all options still lead to a lot of student loans. 

If it's not too forward, how is everyone planning on paying for this? Are people applying for a lot of external scholarships, counting on TA positions or research assistantships, or just taking out loans? Is it smart to take on a lot of debt for a masters in a field that historically doesn't have the highest salary range? I've gotten into some of my dream programs, but I'm not sure if I should even go at all if I would have to go into too much debt.

TA and paid research positions are usually the domain of PhD students....its the reason they call these professional degree programs.

I got full funding for Bren but absolutely zero funding for another program (U Miami). I have savings for my living expenses and luckily also my parents saved up money for my schooling that I didn't touch in undergrad because I got a full scholarship for undergrad. Hoping that Yale comes out soon so that I can start planning what my future will look like. 

1 hour ago, lemonscone said:

If the program you like the most (School A) doesn't offer you as much as another program you got into (School B ), you can always ask School A in a nice way if they can increase their funding to the level School B provides. My friend did that for Yale and she got a higher scholarship. She's also taking out loans and working a part-time job within YSE 

16 minutes ago, youngturtle said:

Also, has anyone called YSE to inquire the date results come out? Is that like bad practice lol

I'm so excited to hear back from them, idk if I should call but I kind of want to.

If someone here were to call admissions anonymously to ask about a release date… I think that would put us all at ease. I’m ecstatic that I got into Duke, but I don’t think funding will be great, so I’m hoping to hear soon from YSE!

45 minutes ago, envisciguy said:

If someone here were to call admissions anonymously to ask about a release date… I think that would put us all at ease. I’m ecstatic that I got into Duke, but I don’t think funding will be great, so I’m hoping to hear soon from YSE!

lol I called them when i wrote that and they didnt pick up and then called them again just now and they didnt pick up again! that was scary HAHA

Edited by youngturtle

3 minutes ago, youngturtle said:

lol I called em when i wrote that and then called em again just now and they didnt pick up! that was scary HAHA

Thanks for trying :)

I was also about to call only to realise I don't have international calling XD

Edited by Pru_

44 minutes ago, Pru_ said:

Thanks for trying :)

I was also about to call only to realise I don't have international calling XD

I just called too, they didn't pick up 

7 minutes ago, greenlit20 said:

YSE just sent out their March newsletter. It said something along the lines of "Thanks for your continued interest, greenlit20. Applications have been reviewed and decisions should be released in the upcoming weeks."

Just saw this too. If they’re done reviewing I don’t see why they would wait additional weeks to send results out. Fingers crossed!

3 hours ago, youngturtle said:

I got full funding for Bren but absolutely zero funding for another program (U Miami). I have savings for my living expenses and luckily also my parents saved up money for my schooling that I didn't touch in undergrad because I got a full scholarship for undergrad. Hoping that Yale comes out soon so that I can start planning what my future will look like. 

Hi there, curious if you received full funding for both years or just the 2022-2023 school year in your letter. I received the latter!

1 hour ago, greenlit20 said:

Not gonna lie, they got me for a second ?

same, I got such a strong shot of adrenaline when I got that email. They sent the last newsletter on Feb 3rd which makes me think they're delivered exactly a month apart regardless of when we get results. tbh I feel like we could hear as soon as tomorrow even though they said "in the coming weeks"

9 minutes ago, Pianist143 said:

Hi there, curious if you received full funding for both years or just the 2022-2023 school year in your letter. I received the latter!

I got full funding for the 2022-2023 school year with the possibility of renewal for my second year if I remain in good standing and take 12 units!

3 minutes ago, youngturtle said:

I got full funding for the 2022-2023 school year with the possibility of renewal for my second year if I remain in good standing and take 12 units!

Congratulations! Hopefully we will see each other on Admitted Students Day! Was the possibility for renewal outlined in the letter? 

46 minutes ago, Pianist143 said:

Congratulations! Hopefully we will see each other on Admitted Students Day! Was the possibility for renewal outlined in the letter? 

Yes it was, and underneath the statement that said my scholarship could be renewed, there was a chart displaying what the fund dispersal looked like, as well as the total amount of money I'd be given if I received the scholarship for both years of the program

And absolutely, I hope to see you there!!:)

Edited by youngturtle
addin my excitement for the admitted students day

9 hours ago, lemonscone said:

I can relate. What all are the programs you got into? How much funding have you got there?

Master's is always a trad off between your willingness to enter a certain program and what they offer financially.

Congrats to everyone who got into Bren! I only got back a recommendation for admission letter & no funding info so I’m really nervous ?

But to anyone curious about Yale, I emailed them a few days ago and they responded: “The decision letter will be electronically posted to your online application account on or around March 15.” So less than 2 weeks left!

Edited by kokuyo