Environmental Management and Policy 2022

youngturtle

4 hours ago, GoldRush said:

There was a second letter attached in the portal, check the bottom of the page. Received fin-aid of 13K/sem

Same here. I got need-based fin-aid (about 10k/sem). Does anyone know what's the max fin-aid YSE can provide?

7 hours ago, Boolakanaka said:

Congrats to all the YSE admits. 

Perhaps, I will see some of you as I will be teaching a seminar class and conducting a clinic there.

Best to all of you.

Hey, I wanted to ask if you know on an average how many people are waitlisted? And is there a slight hope of getting in if we have been waitlisted. 

Because I got waitlisted by Duke and Yale, I am just confused how and what to feel really.

18 hours ago, GoldRush said:

There was a second letter attached in the portal, check the bottom of the page. Received fin-aid of 13K/sem

Wow that seems pretty generous. Have you been working for quite some time? Anxiously awaiting my FA.

7 minutes ago, envisciguy said:

Wow that seems pretty generous. Have you been working for quite some time? Anxiously awaiting my FA.

No honestly. Graduated from a tier 3 university in 2021 from India....had a year-long internship in my final year with a Norwegian environmental NGO and have been working for a renewable energy consultancy firm in India after graduation....no idea how I got in let alone the more-than-generous fin-aid ??

15 minutes ago, Tomatobacon said:

Has anyone heard from Duke about funding? I'm reallyyyyy hoping we hear today or tomorrow

I think they'll let us know sometime this week. I applied for/submitted my FAFSA some time ago and am eligible for award matching through the americorps fellowship I did, so really hoping this is all taken into account!

I just heard back from Duke about funding! Surprisingly got selected to be part of the Nicholas Scholars Cohort and got pretty much equivalent funding from Yale so, while I'm super grateful, this is going to be a really hard choice. Any advice? Didn't think I would get nearly as much from Duke.

Edited by envisciguy

59 minutes ago, envisciguy said:

I just heard back from Duke about funding! Surprisingly got selected to be part of the Nicholas Scholars Cohort and got pretty much equivalent funding from Yale so, while I'm super grateful, this is going to be a really hard choice. Any advice? Didn't think I would get nearly as much from Duke.

What's your potential area of focus ?

29 minutes ago, Boolakanaka said:

What's your potential area of focus ?

Well I actually applied as an MF candidate. On this forum since its the closest one I found to forestry. From what I understand, Yale has a more distinct and better funded Forestry school within its environment school, whereas Duke's forestry is less of a focus. It also seems like there are barely any stand alone MF candidates at Duke, which could be a good or bad thing. I also think I would prefer Durham to New Haven. Lots to consider.

Edited by envisciguy

2 minutes ago, envisciguy said:

Well I actually applied as an MF candidate. On this forum since it's the closest one I found to forestry. From what I understand, Yale has a more distinct and better funded Forestry school within it's environment school, whereas Duke's forestry is less of a focus. It also seems like there are barely any stand alone MF candidates at Duke, which could be a good or bad thing. I also think I would prefer Durham to New Haven. Lots to consider.

If forestry is your area of interest, then its Yale--it has a long storied history and many of the leaders in this space, all went to the previous YSF. I also would say its overall program is much established and comprehensive.

Also, does anyone know if Yale would match another school's aid or the difference I would pay in tuition? Duke gave me a bit less in funding, but I would still pay less tuition since Duke is cheaper. Any chance Yale would match that? I don't know if asking Yale's FA department to match would come off in a needy way.

Did anyone else receive scholarship/assistantship from Duke NSOE? I wonder if it's just the nicholas scholar that has been released or other assistantships been out too 

Edited by minusone

31 minutes ago, minusone said:

Did anyone else receive scholarship/assistantship from Duke NSOE? I wonder if it's just the nicholas scholar that has been released or other assistantships been out too 

Haven’t heard anything on Duke fin-aid :(

6 hours ago, ryan.nil said:

Haven’t heard anything on Duke fin-aid :(

Edit: I just received an email. Duke funding certainly makes the decision even more difficult as Duke offered more than Yale did (35k/year vs 20k/year). Both are renewable for the second year. 

How about the rest?

19 hours ago, envisciguy said:

Also, does anyone know if Yale would match another school's aid or the difference I would pay in tuition? Duke gave me a bit less in funding, but I would still pay less tuition since Duke is cheaper. Any chance Yale would match that? I don't know if asking Yale's FA department to match would come off in a needy way.

I asked YSE for more financial aid yesterday, I have no idea if they will offer me anything but I think it's worth asking! They accepted you, they want you to succeed, and they're yale, lol. They've got money.

Also, I know someone who went through the MEM program and she sent YSE her fin aid packaged from other schools to YSE and asked YSE to increase her funding and they did! 

I asked them to match the amount UCSB is offering me, which is probably not gonna happen but I feel like it's worth the ask. I first emailed the financial aid email and they directed me to go through an online appeals process but it was really simple & quick. 

3 hours ago, ryan.nil said:

Edit: I just received an email. Duke funding certainly makes the decision even more difficult as Duke offered more than Yale did (35k/year vs 20k/year). Both are renewable for the second year. 

How about the rest?

Was 35 with need based? I think you're right--maybe yesterday they only sent out Nicholas scholars bc I heard from them (28k) but haven't heard back about need based aid yet 

11 minutes ago, Tomatobacon said:

Was 35 with need based? I think you're right--maybe yesterday they only sent out Nicholas scholars bc I heard from them (28k) but haven't heard back about need based aid yet 

Mine is 20k need-based and 15k professional merit. Once you get need-based aid, your total funding will basically cover your tuition and maybe even more! Amazing ?