Grad school 2022 offers/intimations

Kankabatir_tirey

15 minutes ago, SNSD said:

Yes, interviews are important. Otherwise why have them...

Yes i know.. but i was wondering like, they do this because they selected some students to interview or they are like confirming the students they liked... Like interviews are a confirmation or just part of the process...

26 minutes ago, Madapersx said:

Yes. Because they said that results will come in the end of this month... I think I will wait until Monday... And another question, do you think that interviews are super important during the process? I don't know what to wait about it...

Toronto did you hear something? I got wait-list. International student so .. expected

Oh when did you hear that you got waitlisted? I know that news of some sort will come in "early March" for all the Toronto applicants.

Also do you mind sharing which track? I'm archaeology.

29 minutes ago, Madapersx said:

Yes. Because they said that results will come in the end of this month... I think I will wait until Monday... And another question, do you think that interviews are super important during the process? I don't know what to wait about it...

Toronto did you hear something? I got wait-list. International student so .. expected

Hey! Yes. I think interviews are really important in the sense that they are making decisions about who to accept and who to waitlist. So yeah.

And about UofT- no, I haven't heard anything from them yet. I was expecting a rejection and this confirms it. Haha.

12 minutes ago, Madapersx said:

Yes i know.. but i was wondering like, they do this because they selected some students to interview or they are like confirming the students they liked... Like interviews are a confirmation or just part of the process...

You were drawn from a pool of applicants. They essentially narrowed down their potential candidates from hundreds of applications. Interviews help them narrow down further. There is a real possibility you may be rejected or accepted after the interview, hence why performance at them is important. 

9 minutes ago, eoril1 said:

Oh when did you hear that you got waitlisted? I know that news of some sort will come in "early March" for all the Toronto applicants.

Also do you mind sharing which track? I'm archaeology.

Yesterday. I received an email from the coordinator and my POI, saying that they're are pleased to inform that the committee decided to put me in the wait-list. 

I'm sociocultural anthropology. International student from Brazil. 

Well, there's the (expected) Harvard rejection. Just waiting on Berkeley to also say no, and then I can move into the next stressful phase, picking a school!
In the end, I got in at:

University of New Mexico
Southern Methodist University
McMaster University

Fingers crossed for everyone still waiting!! 

18 hours ago, HorseNerd said:

Well, there's the (expected) Harvard rejection. Just waiting on Berkeley to also say no, and then I can move into the next stressful phase, picking a school!
In the end, I got in at:

University of New Mexico
Southern Methodist University
McMaster University

Fingers crossed for everyone still waiting!! 

As someone in Harvard Anthro, you’ve dodged a giant bullet. The department is collapsing. Good luck picking a school!

For those of you have been notified of acceptance by POIs at a UC, how long do we have to wait for official funding letters? It has been two weeks since I was notified of acceptance, have been participating in graduate colloquia, orientations etc but no official email from the school or portal updates. I am hella nervous about not having an official acceptance in my portal. 

17 hours ago, Triton7193 said:

For those of you have been notified of acceptance by POIs at a UC, how long do we have to wait for official funding letters? It has been two weeks since I was notified of acceptance, have been participating in graduate colloquia, orientations etc but no official email from the school or portal updates. I am hella nervous about not having an official acceptance in my portal. 

I was accepted at UCSC and just got my official acceptance letter on Monday (after being notified approximately 3 weeks prior and being given some details of funding just at the end of last week), so I'm sure yours will be coming very soon! If you're concerned you can always email your POI and ask for a general timeline as they may know when you should expect it.

2 hours ago, anth_01 said:

I was accepted at UCSC and just got my official acceptance letter on Monday (after being notified approximately 3 weeks prior and being given some details of funding just at the end of last week), so I'm sure yours will be coming very soon! If you're concerned you can always email your POI and ask for a general timeline as they may know when you should expect it.

Thank you for the reassurance! I have not received any funding details yet, although I am in the sociocultural track and they may take some time.

15 hours ago, hambee said:

Hello, does anyone know if Berkeley sent out rejections for sociocultural track?

I did see a few rejections but I didn't receive mine yet (although I have not been shortlisted for an interview). I think they send out rejections in a staggered manner. I am expecting to claim mine soon.

On 3/2/2022 at 9:07 AM, anth_01 said:

Glad to hear you got a response! I am still waiting on a response for UCSC. Can I ask what tract you applied for?

Updates so far

rejections- UCI, UCSD, Minnesota, Cornell, BU, Upitt

Acceptances- Syracuse, Purdue, Brandeis( MA)

Waiting- UCD, Vanderbilt and Rutgers

I have heard some students heard back from UCD and Rutgers, so that’s a rejection too and I am not very hopeful about Vanderbilt either.

I would love to know what you guys think about Purdue and Syracuse.

I am slightly inclined towards Syracuse but they are offering me 4 years of funding while Purdue is offering 5 years( one year fellowship). Syracuse has a stronger focus on South Asia and my POI is also well known for working in my region of interest.

I will appreciate any suggestions! 

Hi all!

Acceptances: UC Davis, UC Berkeley, University of Oregon

Rejected: University of Toronto (got waitlisted but ultimately rejected)

I'm arch track so can only talk for that side, since they seem to do things differently between subfields. For those who applied to Toronto as international students, they only accept one person so don't feel down about rejection! I believe UCD have sent out their acceptances already but I'm unsure about their waitlist so maybe some hope there! I also didn't interview with Berkeley if that helps with people who haven't heard back yet. 

Hi!

A friend of mine is waitlisted at four schools and the wait never seems to end. If any of you or those you know are accepted at any of the following places, especially Indiana and UMich, and are planning to not take them up, kindly let me know. It would really help my friend a lot.

- Indiana (Anthro)

- Toronto (Religion)

- UMich (Anthro-History)

- Emory (Religion)

Thank you!

19 hours ago, Taara said:

Hi!

A friend of mine is waitlisted at four schools and the wait never seems to end. If any of you or those you know are accepted at any of the following places, especially Indiana and UMich, and are planning to not take them up, kindly let me know. It would really help my friend a lot.

- Indiana (Anthro)

- Toronto (Religion)

- UMich (Anthro-History)

- Emory (Religion)

Thank you!

Thanks so much for sharing! If you feel comfortable, may I ask what you did to get accepted to Berkeley on the arch track?

On 3/5/2022 at 1:01 AM, Sassafrastea said:

Hi all!

Acceptances: UC Davis, UC Berkeley, University of Oregon

Rejected: University of Toronto (got waitlisted but ultimately rejected)

I'm arch track so can only talk for that side, since they seem to do things differently between subfields. For those who applied to Toronto as international students, they only accept one person so don't feel down about rejection! I believe UCD have sent out their acceptances already but I'm unsure about their waitlist so maybe some hope there! I also didn't interview with Berkeley if that helps with people who haven't heard back yet. 

Hello! For Toronto, would that have been 1 international student total, or just for the archaeology track? I remember reading about the department accepting 4 international students, though that was for a different year. I do feel better knowing my odds were pretty stiff lol.

If anyone has any advice about going through the application process again though, I would love to hear it! 

8 hours ago, eoril1 said:

Hello! For Toronto, would that have been 1 international student total, or just for the archaeology track? I remember reading about the department accepting 4 international students, though that was for a different year. I do feel better knowing my odds were pretty stiff lol.

If anyone has any advice about going through the application process again though, I would love to hear it! 

I think that was just for arch track, but each subfield probably only gets one. Yeah it makes you feel a bit better that its pretty hard for international students to get that funding lol

Advice in general or for Toronto in particular?

18 hours ago, Sassafrastea said:

I think that was just for arch track, but each subfield probably only gets one. Yeah it makes you feel a bit better that its pretty hard for international students to get that funding lol

Advice in general or for Toronto in particular?

Advice in general. I reached out and talked to several POIs, and the conversations did go well, though none of them ended up panning out this go around. I guess it just feels weird to have to do all this again. 

12 minutes ago, eoril1 said:

Advice in general. I reached out and talked to several POIs, and the conversations did go well, though none of them ended up panning out this go around. I guess it just feels weird to have to do all this again. 

First off, I recommend reaching out to them again (or at least the ones you felt the strongest connection to) and asking what you can do to improve your application for future cycles. They know best why and should be honest with you. If they don't respond, ask the department instead. If neither respond, then move on and don't press it.

Can't say much without seeing your profile, SOP, PS, etc, so I'll tell you where I messed up the first time. This is my second time applying and I just finished my Master's. The first time around while I had a lot of experience in my concentration, I had zero experience in the part(s) of the world I wanted to work, which hurt my application the first time (fixed that before I applied again). I also killed my own application by not selling myself well enough, demonstrating how valuable my work and experience had been, and being specific in what I wanted to study, the techniques I would employ, and why these schools were best equipped to help me accomplish this. Sell yourself, tell them why you're hot shit and how prepared you are and what you bring to the table. Don't come off as arrogant, but don't be humble. How have your previous experiences and studies prepared you for the project you want to accomplish? Why this school, why this POI?

Also, some departments or POIs have been burned by students without Master's bailing part way through the program (its a whole different beast from undergrad) so they want students with Master's or that have experience that show you can complete a proper project and thesis/dissertation in a timely manner. This cycle the competition might be fiercer than previous ones because post-Covid a lot of people are considering going back to school and are coming with work experience and other projects under their belt, so the competition might have just been really tough.

I hope this helps a little.

12 hours ago, Sassafrastea said:

First off, I recommend reaching out to them again (or at least the ones you felt the strongest connection to) and asking what you can do to improve your application for future cycles. They know best why and should be honest with you. If they don't respond, ask the department instead. If neither respond, then move on and don't press it.

Can't say much without seeing your profile, SOP, PS, etc, so I'll tell you where I messed up the first time. This is my second time applying and I just finished my Master's. The first time around while I had a lot of experience in my concentration, I had zero experience in the part(s) of the world I wanted to work, which hurt my application the first time (fixed that before I applied again). I also killed my own application by not selling myself well enough, demonstrating how valuable my work and experience had been, and being specific in what I wanted to study, the techniques I would employ, and why these schools were best equipped to help me accomplish this. Sell yourself, tell them why you're hot shit and how prepared you are and what you bring to the table. Don't come off as arrogant, but don't be humble. How have your previous experiences and studies prepared you for the project you want to accomplish? Why this school, why this POI?

Also, some departments or POIs have been burned by students without Master's bailing part way through the program (its a whole different beast from undergrad) so they want students with Master's or that have experience that show you can complete a proper project and thesis/dissertation in a timely manner. This cycle the competition might be fiercer than previous ones because post-Covid a lot of people are considering going back to school and are coming with work experience and other projects under their belt, so the competition might have just been really tough.

The competition has been very intense post-pandemic. A lot of my POIs said the same. There have fund cuts and lesser intakes too! A few schools did not open up applications last year too which means more apps to other schools and this year! If you didn't get through this time, do not take it on yourself. It's a lot more factors (largely out of your hand). It only tells a lot about the process more than it tells about your capacities as a potential doctoral student. I hope you find the resources and strength to apply again. Good luck!

On 3/8/2022 at 5:16 PM, Sassafrastea said:

Thank you so much! This is very useful and it really helped me understand what kind of game plans I should be considering. I don't have field experience in the specific area I was interested in, though it is the focus of my MA thesis, and I have fieldwork in other places. I knew that was a weak aspect of my application, but hopefully I can address it this summer. In hindsight, given what you've said, I think my statements could have been stronger too. This is great advice, again, thank you.