Grad school 2022 offers/intimations

Kankabatir_tirey

1 minute ago, catka said:

hey, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but i believe UCI had their virtual campus visit for all shortlisted students last friday.

Hey. Thanks a lot for breaking the icy silence on this. That means, I should just sit out for an official rejection intimation. Two rejections (including UCI), waiting on any news on two more. Duh. 

Just now, Ilovesoup1997 said:

I wouldn’t hold my breath. It seems like the department has a lot on their plate at the moment…

very true. I wonder if they conducted interviews prior to this news breaking, cuz if they did then it's probably over for me ? (is that super callous of me to say? i'm just so done with the application cycle and the rejections ahhh) 

27 minutes ago, hellohihello said:

I just got waitlisted. Help? What does this mean? When will I know for sure? Likelihood of admission at all? Super disappointed... wishing for a miracle. Anyone with experience/knowledge to share here?

Hey, I got waitlisted at two universities. I'm not super clear on the process, but feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to tell you what I know. 

On 2/2/2022 at 7:17 PM, aratintherace said:

Hi! A contact at Stanford told me that someone (from India) had asked them about guidance regarding the interview (sociocultural) about a week ago. He told me that usually the invites are sent out collectively. So, it is safe to assume that Stanford has sent out all the invites by now.
(I am from India as well. Expecting a rejection email soon.)

I am from India too. Nothing from Stanford yet. Although it does seem like interviews and acceptances are already done. So it's just waiting for the rejection? I mailed the dept but there has been no response.

On 2/5/2022 at 12:43 AM, weast said:

Congratulations on your acceptance! I also applied to Columbia, NYU, and UPenn, and I haven't heard anything. I think someone higher up in the thread said that Columbia would be reviewing applications until the third week of February. 

I contacted a prof I have been in correspondence with at UPenn. He said that they have sent out interview invitations to all the shortlisted candidates. I am unfortunately not on the list. It is fair to assume that everyone who has not gotten an interview invitation yet will soon get a rejection. Sigh.

On 2/9/2022 at 2:01 AM, giustizia said:

Hey everyone, claiming my UMich rejection!!! I'm still waiting to hear literally anything from Yale (seems like interviews went out so expecting rejection), Columbia (seems like we won't hear till end of Feb), Brandeis, UPenn, and NYU. I hope everyone is doing well!!!! Does anyone have any updates or info regarding Brandeis, UPenn, or NYU? Thanks!

Hi! So I wrote to a prof I was in correspondence with at UPenn after seeing a few interview invitations from UPenn on Grad Cafe. He said they have indeed sent out all interview invitations to the shortlisted candidates. Unfortunately, I am not on the list and so it is fair to assume I will be sent a rejection soon.

NYU- I am also waiting to hear from them but I did see one acceptance on grad cafe and they said they had an interview too. I am unsure if it is reliable.

On 2/11/2022 at 1:56 AM, hellohihello said:

I just got waitlisted. Help? What does this mean? When will I know for sure? Likelihood of admission at all? Super disappointed... wishing for a miracle. Anyone with experience/knowledge to share here?

From what I hear, the national deadline for accepting an offer is April 15. Unis usually mention that they will not have anything concrete until a few days prior to that even on that day. My friend got off the shortlist literally on April 15 last year and immediately accepted the offer. It would be really nice if candidates with multiple offers made decisions sooner so the waitlist is cleared sooner! If they do it too late, the waitlist often does not get a chance and unis actually do with a cohort with lesser students than they had intended (this is what a POI told me). I hope this helps! It is a very anxiety-inducing process. Sending you strength and support.

I was waitlisted last year, so I can lend some insight to at least my experience.

I was very lucky in that my prospective advisor kept an open line of communication with me all throughout my application process, so I had a realistic idea of my chances of moving off the waitlist. She told me up front that she thought wanted to work with me, but that department received not only a record number of applications but an incredibly high quality pool of candidates (many of which were already connected to their prospective advisor's research) and that other profs had priority for new students. As a result they (accurately) predicted that the waitlist would not see much movement, but in practice  this can vary A LOT based on the program. (Think of those all-stars who are accepted to multiple top-schools).

I was notified that I was waitlisted in early March (emergency conditions in the state delayed application review last year, so this was concurrent with acceptances going out), and notified that the waitlist was closed in early April.

If you already have rapport with your prospective advisor, or if you are accepted elsewhere and it becomes a more time-sensitive situation to know, I think it's reasonable to ask their thoughts about your chances.

I'm currently waiting for the result of my second round application to this program and goodness is my anxiety higher this year.

6 hours ago, Taara said:

Did anyone here apply to Northwestern? And Toronto? Did anyone hear back fromToronto- interviews/acceptances? Anything at all?

Hey thanks for the update on UPenn (waiting to get a rejection letter at this point)!! I received an interview invite from Northwestern and haven’t heard anything from UToronto. I’ve seen a few UToronto acceptances (all Canadian students), but am not sure if they usually review international students’ app separately.

6 hours ago, Anthro0o0o said:

Hey thanks for the update on UPenn (waiting to get a rejection letter at this point)!! I received an interview invite from Northwestern and haven’t heard anything from UToronto. I’ve seen a few UToronto acceptances (all Canadian students), but am not sure if they usually review international students’ app separately.

Yeah same. I am assuming your interview with NU is in the third week of Feb? Good luck!

6 hours ago, giustizia said:

Did anyone apply to Brandeis? Has anyone heard or seen anything from them? They're basically the only other school I'm waiting on at this point.

Also waiting to hear from Brandeis. I have not seen anyone post interviews from either the masters or the PhD program on the admissions results page. I find it hard to believe that they haven't sent out anything yet though, because in the past years they had sent them out last week of jan or first week of feb. So either they sent out interviews but no one who got an interview happens to be on this forum, or they are late this year. Hope this makes sense.

Edited by fal2022

11 hours ago, fal2022 said:

Also waiting to hear from Brandeis. I have not seen anyone post interviews from either the masters or the PhD program on the admissions results page. I find it hard to believe that they haven't sent out anything yet though, because in the past years they had sent them out last week of jan or first week of feb. So either they sent out interviews but no one who got an interview happens to be on this forum, or they are late this year. Hope this makes sense.

Hey. I am waiting on Brandeis too. Haven’t heard anything yet. I didn’t know they get back that quick. I was assuming they'd take sometime to work through applications. My wait has now watered down to only Brandeis and UMass. Pretty much rejected or anticipating a rejection from everywhere else. Fingers crossed. 

Any advice for dealing with the waitlist stress? My POI at one of my top choices and I spoke over Zoom last week and he told me that I was unofficially in a category called "accepted pending funding availability". He said he thought I'd have more definite news within the next 30 days based on previous years, but that we might not know until April 15th. I have a pretty clear idea of what happened and why (absolutely nothing to do with me) but this is still nerve-wracking.

Has anyone heard anything from Berkeley? I know they did some interviews back in January so I'm 99% sure I'm not getting in, but seriously, how long does it take to say no? Please, I just want some closure on this ?

For fellow prospective grads who applied to UC Santa Cruz and got in, did any POIs tell you how long we will have to wait for official acceptance letters and notices about fellowships and aid? Some POIs contacted me over the weekend saying my application had been recommended for admission, and to wait for an official letter. I was just wondering how long we will be in limbo and I'm anxious to hear fellowship/finaid details since I intend to commit to Santa Cruz should Berkeley not come through for me.

Edited by Triton7193

8 minutes ago, why_tho said:

Hi everyone. Does anyone know about the UMichigan Anthro-History program - the size of their cohort etc.? I got waitlisted, and trying to gauge my chances. 

Hi. A friend of mine has applied to the UMich Anthro-History program and he's waitlisted too. He said the cohort would be 2-3? They don't take too many students, apparently. But you should totally write to a POI asking for this year's planned intake, etc. I know waiting is the worst thing but I hope some good news comes by. Good luck!

3 minutes ago, Taara said:

Hi. A friend of mine has applied to the UMich Anthro-History program and he's waitlisted too. He said the cohort would be 2-3? They don't take too many students, apparently. But you should totally write to a POI asking for this year's planned intake, etc. I know waiting is the worst thing but I hope some good news comes by. Good luck!

Thanks so much for your wishes, and for letting me know! I did write to POIs, who said that the process from waitlist to admissions is dynamic, and there seems no other way than waiting it out. 2-3 is too steep a chance to even hope. Sigh. Good luck to you too! 

Does anyone want to claim CITE admission offers at Rutgers? Apparently three students have been offered admission out of which only one has accepted (they even posted their acceptance on gradcafe) and the rest two are pending.

On 2/12/2022 at 11:14 PM, Taara said:

Hi! So I wrote to a prof I was in correspondence with at UPenn after seeing a few interview invitations from UPenn on Grad Cafe. He said they have indeed sent out all interview invitations to the shortlisted candidates. Unfortunately, I am not on the list and so it is fair to assume I will be sent a rejection soon.

NYU- I am also waiting to hear from them but I did see one acceptance on grad cafe and they said they had an interview too. I am unsure if it is reliable.

A POI told me that all decisions for NYU should be out by 15th. So idk. Maybe the gradcafe post was reliable after all? Since I had no interview I'm assuming it's a rejection, but oh well.