Grad school 2022 offers/intimations

Kankabatir_tirey

Any update on any of your applications for 2022 grad school in Anthropology? I have applied to only three schools (and am finishing up application for another now) this year because I'm in the middle of a lot of stuff while still pursuing my master's at my home country. But I did select the 4 schools on the basis of maximum alignment of my research interests with the department and it's faculties. I'm just curious to know if any of you have heard from any schools regarding anything, including interviews or so. Let us know here? I haven't heard from any yet, although I know it might be boderline too early. Good luck to all applicants!

I've applied to 11 schools this cycle, after only applying to 8 last year and not receiving any offers (but very hopeful this year!). I'm wondering if the lack of discussion on the forum this year indicates that the applicant pool is not quite as large as it was last year?

So far I've already received 1 rejection and 1 interview request, but nothing yet from the other 9 schools (as is to be expected at this point in the year). Just have to wait and see what happens over the next couple of weeks or so - good luck to all other applicants! 

3 hours ago, anth_01 said:

I've applied to 11 schools this cycle, after only applying to 8 last year and not receiving any offers (but very hopeful this year!). I'm wondering if the lack of discussion on the forum this year indicates that the applicant pool is not quite as large as it was last year?

So far I've already received 1 rejection and 1 interview request, but nothing yet from the other 9 schools (as is to be expected at this point in the year). Just have to wait and see what happens over the next couple of weeks or so - good luck to all other applicants! 

Hi could you please share from which two universities you got feedback?

On 1/10/2022 at 3:58 PM, Kankabatir_tirey said:

Any update on any of your applications for 2022 grad school in Anthropology? I have applied to only three schools (and am finishing up application for another now) this year because I'm in the middle of a lot of stuff while still pursuing my master's at my home country. But I did select the 4 schools on the basis of maximum alignment of my research interests with the department and it's faculties. I'm just curious to know if any of you have heard from any schools regarding anything, including interviews or so. Let us know here? I haven't heard from any yet, although I know it might be boderline too early. Good luck to all applicants!

hi! I saw on the results page that someone got invited to UCI's virtual visit day for anthro!

On 1/11/2022 at 10:40 PM, anth_01 said:

Hey. It would be great if you could let us know which schools you heard from? I'm expecting to hear something from UCI soon. The other schools I applied to (UMass, UVA, and I just submitted Brandeis) I think come up with decisions a bit later. Keeping fingers crossed for all of us. Let us hope for the best! 

12 hours ago, giustizia said:

Hi everyone! I applied to 9 PhD programs this cycle and haven't heard anything yet. Waiting is really stressful, but I'm happy to have this community. By any chance, does anyone know if the Duke interview updates are for cultural? 

Hi. No idea about Duke. Let's keep checking our emails and the results page (although that makes me so much more anxious) ! Good luck.

Just now, Kankabatir_tirey said:

Hi. No idea about Duke. Let's keep checking our emails and the results page (although that makes me so much more anxious) ! Good luck.

Hey @Kankabatir_tirey, good luck to you too!!! I just saw some comments on the results page that one was for sociocultural (which I applied to also) and one was for medical anthro. They said an assistant sent the invites though, so it could just take some time for them all to come out. I'm trying to relax haha but now that it's about the time when we may start hearing things, I'm on edge

Just now, giustizia said:

Hey @Kankabatir_tirey, good luck to you too!!! I just saw some comments on the results page that one was for sociocultural (which I applied to also) and one was for medical anthro. They said an assistant sent the invites though, so it could just take some time for them all to come out. I'm trying to relax haha but now that it's about the time when we may start hearing things, I'm on edge

Just hang in. I am sure we'd know very soon and life would take it's course anyway. Honestly, I was in some sort of a crisis when I put together my UCI application, while I was also writing my master's semester exams. So, I'm sure my application is not the very best, but I keep telling myself it's the best I could do at the moment. The later applications went far better. I am still keeping some hope up for UCI. And since one person recieved a call for interview yesterday,  I think, if I have a chance, I should hear from them in a week Max for an interview. Let's see how it turns up. Legit freaking out haha. I'm almost in the same spot with UCI as you are with Duke. I sincerely hope you get your mail the soonest :)

Haha I’m also sweating it out about Duke. It seems that there are zero acceptances on the results page for Duke so that’s a bit scary. Glad I’m not the only one obsessively checking my email! I haven’t heard anything from any of my schools but I’m hoping for some news in the coming weeks. 

8 hours ago, giustizia said:

Hey. I was wondering if it's okay to reach out to my POI I've been in touch with for my application asking them around when should I expect any intimation regarding my application? Does that seem like a good idea?

Hi everyone! I applied to 15 schools this cycle (way more than I did the first time around, pre-pandemic), and so far I've gotten one interview from Minnesota. I'm trying to keep myself distracted with school, but this weird limbo period is weighing on my mind ? I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy, and it's very nice to meet you all! 

15 hours ago, Kankabatir_tirey said:

Hey. I was wondering if it's okay to reach out to my POI I've been in touch with for my application asking them around when should I expect any intimation regarding my application? Does that seem like a good idea?

Hey, I'm not really in a position to give advice since this is my first time applying and I don't really know what's considered normal. My instinct is to try to wait about a week from when people started posting about getting interviews because it could take time for them to be sent out etc. But that's just my two cents so take it with a grain of salt, lol. I'm rooting for you!

Out of curiosity, what are y’all studying/what are your research interests? I love hearing what other budding anthropologists are into! I study religion and media and how media trends have impacted religious experience. 

Edited by Ilovesoup1997

17 hours ago, giustizia said:

Hey, I'm not really in a position to give advice since this is my first time applying and I don't really know what's considered normal. My instinct is to try to wait about a week from when people started posting about getting interviews because it could take time for them to be sent out etc. But that's just my two cents so take it with a grain of salt, lol. I'm rooting for you!

Hey. Thanks for this. I thought about it and realised I am freaking out too much and being a bit impulsive than good. So, I decided I'll control myself and wait it out till the end of this month, at least. And see what comes/doesn't come my way. Thanks a lot for your message! Really hope we all do get offers from the schools we wish to join!

On 1/12/2022 at 5:19 PM, Kankabatir_tirey said:

Hey. It would be great if you could let us know which schools you heard from? I'm expecting to hear something from UCI soon. The other schools I applied to (UMass, UVA, and I just submitted Brandeis) I think come up with decisions a bit later. Keeping fingers crossed for all of us. Let us hope for the best! 

Hi! I received the rejection from UIUC and the interview request from UCSC. I think most schools will be going through interviews/early results over the next few weeks, so I'm sure you'll hear something soon. But if not, most results are usually out by the end of February (though some can go as far as April) so hopefully you don't have to wait too long! Good luck on your applications! 

On 1/13/2022 at 4:15 PM, Ilovesoup1997 said:

Out of curiosity, what are y’all studying/what are your research interests? I love hearing what other budding anthropologists are into! I study religion and media and how media trends have impacted religious experience. 

Your research sounds fascinating! If you don't mind sharing, what's your region?

I study mass protest in South Asia and how it produces resistance against the state. 

19 minutes ago, weast said:

Your research sounds fascinating! If you don't mind sharing, what's your region?

I study mass protest in South Asia and how it produces resistance against the state. 

My region is East Asia!

Any UChicago applicants here? Seems like they sent out interview requests a bit earlier than this last year and I’m curious if the one listed on gradcafe is even legit. Anyone else heard anything or talked to anyone?