Dressing the Part . . . for Girls!

Glad I found this thread!

I would describe my clothing style as more comfortable girly girl. I'm tall so I don't do heels, but I like to wear flats and nice boots, skinny jeans and sweaters, nice dangling jewelry, etc.

My field is heavily (almost all) male dominated so the attire, at least when I went on recruitment day, were all white washed blue jeans and north face jackets--for both the students and faculty. Needless to say, I am afraid of coming off as too "polished" when in actuality, this is a very rugged field and I want to "fit in" to the greater decor of the department. Any suggestions?

What an awesome thread!

I have to say, I don't really put in the effort to dress appropriately for school....on a typical lab/library day, I will either be in flats or boots, black leggings and a tank/cartigan combo. If I have a presentation or a class to teach, I normally wear a black knee length skirt, black belt and a jazzy/colourful silk top, and flats. I recently bought a fake leather jacket and that's my default outterwear for most days. I have a nice knee length black coat I wear if I am going to a conference or dinner.

I typically wear the same jewelery...but that's because I have some special pieces (necklace my mom gave me, my grandmother's wedding rings, and a family braclet). They are casual but nice pieces.

I need a good bag. I find a backpack ruins my whole look ;) I do have a black messenger bag, but it's not practical for a computer and books. I think I will just have to stop packing like I will never return home.....

BrokenRecord--I know what you mean. I have a lot of polished business casual pieces from many years in the workplace. Most of the faculty and students are super casual. I want to "fit in" but still keep my own fashion/style. People do dress up for teaching days, but that's only one day a week for me. I also have to tone down my makeup a bit. I love eyeshadows, and I don't think I'll be able to wear any of the more colorful ones. I'm going to see how it goes and make little adjustments here and there. But, overall, I think the approach I'm going to take is that it's better to be slightly overdressed.

Try GradGirlStyle.Blogspot.com! I knew her from undergrad. She's about to start uploading more pics soon once the semester starts.

your friend has perfect, beautiful curly hair! lucky girl! my beach waves could never look so professional air-dryed like that

your friend has perfect, beautiful curly hair! lucky girl! my beach waves could never look so professional air-dryed like that

She would be delighted to hear that--she hates her curls. (: She was always saying she'd prefer straight hair because it's easier to manage.

BrokenRecord--I know what you mean. I have a lot of polished business casual pieces from many years in the workplace. Most of the faculty and students are super casual. I want to "fit in" but still keep my own fashion/style. People do dress up for teaching days, but that's only one day a week for me. I also have to tone down my makeup a bit. I love eyeshadows, and I don't think I'll be able to wear any of the more colorful ones. I'm going to see how it goes and make little adjustments here and there. But, overall, I think the approach I'm going to take is that it's better to be slightly overdressed.

Ahhh yes! I think so too, I just couldn't bear the thought of wearing ripped jeans and combat boots that I don't even own! I know when we go visit and do field work I will worry about that. Our administrative assistant tends to have a dressing style like my own when I went to visit, so I hope I'm not too out of place. I love eyeshadows too but whenever I do wear even the thinnest coat it stands out on my brown skin, so I've stopped wearing them for professional reasons. Thanx again!

I think my biggest fashion "issue" has been what to use to carry my books. Around here EVERYONE rides bikes and it's about a 3 mile ride for me one-way. I debated over messenger bags versus backpack and found a compromise... but now I'm wondering about shoes. I love pretty shoes AND I love flip flops, and neither are really bike-friendly.

I don't want to wear athletic shoes every day, but what else can you wear that's okay to ride a bike in?

I think my biggest fashion "issue" has been what to use to carry my books. Around here EVERYONE rides bikes and it's about a 3 mile ride for me one-way. I debated over messenger bags versus backpack and found a compromise... but now I'm wondering about shoes. I love pretty shoes AND I love flip flops, and neither are really bike-friendly.

I don't want to wear athletic shoes every day, but what else can you wear that's okay to ride a bike in?

These are kind of young-cute but I wear these pretty often since they can fit my orthotics and I bet they would be fine for biking as long you're not using clip-in pedals since the strap is elasticized for a good fit (I suggest some sort of liner-sock since some of the fabrics do not breathe)

http://www.zappos.com/product/7851701/color/401 mine are in "patent" (available on other sites)

Have you considered switching shoes once you got to campus, carrying your other shoes in your bag?

I am with GreenePony, perhaps switching once you get there is the best option! Although, I tend to pack like I wil never return home and end up cursing myself half way there! So you might not like the extra stuff!

What about the Toms'esque shoes? They look comfy and practical! And everyone seems to be wearing them now ... they are kind of cute!!

TOMS.jpg

Totally agree about TOMS! Cute, comfy, casual, and the One for One program is great. Also, my orthotics fit! Heads up though - they do stretch out a bit, but that worked out fine for me as I wear sockettes with them anyway.

As for bags, I go with a backpack. I know it's not a super professional look but it's good for my back, especially when I spend so much time sitting at a desk. I use a Dakine. Durable, cute, and a fabulous warranty.

I remember reading Nina Garcia's 100 items every stylish woman should own and adapting it for myself, but it's hard to get down with the dark neutrals as someone who loves her cat eye glasses, blue eyeliner, and red lipstick. I am going in to a professional program, so I'm trying to be aware of the image that I project as I prepare for networking. I suppose this means I shouldn't buy that leopard print dress from forever 21...

Thankfully, I was never a sweats and ugg boots kind of person in undergrad.

On my list of clothing to buy is a nice pair of jeans. I hate wearing jeans because the low cut style is not tailored to my body at ALL (I've finally admitted to myself I need a higher rise trouser, even if it feels "old"), but I need at least one nice pair.

I suppose this means I shouldn't buy that leopard print dress from forever 21...

Of course you can! Just don't wear it to your first day of orientation! :)

Actually, I'm thinking anxiously about what to wear on the first day of orientation. At the end of the day, they take a photograph of each of us (pretty much top half) and post it on a big wall in the department. I'm not terribly photogenic... better use a lot of Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder!

Of course you can! Just don't wear it to your first day of orientation! :)

Actually, I'm thinking anxiously about what to wear on the first day of orientation. At the end of the day, they take a photograph of each of us (pretty much top half) and post it on a big wall in the department. I'm not terribly photogenic... better use a lot of Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder!

Really!?! That sounds horribly frightening!!! I would hate to have that pressure for the first day! I remember my first day- it was like 200% humidity and blazing hot. I was sweaty and had frizzy hair! I would have cried if my photo was taken!!

Really!?! That sounds horribly frightening!!! I would hate to have that pressure for the first day! I remember my first day- it was like 200% humidity and blazing hot. I was sweaty and had frizzy hair! I would have cried if my photo was taken!!

Yes, really! It's the last item on the agenda for tomorrow.

Of course, this means A's picture is already up on the wall, so I can go and look at it whenever I want. :wub:

So we had our first day of orientation today and... I wanted to share what I saw in terms of the way female faculty dressed. I saw:

--cleavage (2x)

--underwear (lowrider pants that were probably a size too big)

--5-inch platform heels (I kid you not)

--bright colors and patterns

I'm at an R1, and these ladies are well-regarded scholars in their field. So I feel perfectly comfortable in my 3-inch heels and navy knee-length dress. :)

That's pretty unprofessional :( (not you, the faculty showing cleavage and underwear). I live in California (which is infamous for being "too relaxed" and I've never encountered faculty dressed like that.

What's the general consensus for how to dress for orientation?

I've never met anyone in the department (beyond a friend from ug) so I'm concerned about first impressions- over dress, under dressed, etc. It's only a half day with a possible advisement meeting in the afternoon ... and then the next day I have a meeting with someone at the natural history museum about a volunteer position and that has me even more confused on what to wear.

What's the general consensus for how to dress for orientation?

I've never met anyone in the department (beyond a friend from ug) so I'm concerned about first impressions- over dress, under dressed, etc. It's only a half day with a possible advisement meeting in the afternoon ... and then the next day I have a meeting with someone at the natural history museum about a volunteer position and that has me even more confused on what to wear.

I think it's generally easier for girls to look nice and presentable without looking too over dressed. I would probably wear a nice skirt and top. Or dark jeans with a dressier more constructed top/blazer.

I think it's generally easier for girls to look nice and presentable without looking too over dressed. I would probably wear a nice skirt and top. Or dark jeans with a dressier more constructed top/blazer.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking, awesome!

Okay, this was my strategy for orientation day:

-Actually tried to tame hair using curling iron to get most of the ends pointing the same direction. (This may happen again the first week of class, then never again.) Then, of course, threw it in a ponytail for the (short) bike ride to campus.

- As other have suggested, I wanted to hedge my bets with being over/under dressed, so I wore a dressier-cut jersey (stretchy t-shirt material) top and skirt with pockets. Then, because I was riding, I wore below-the knee leggings too. HINT: Our lecture hall orientation room was was very air-conditioned, so I was doubly glad for the leggings.

- For shoes, praciticality wins out, and I love my Mary Janes with the thick rubber sole and elastic strap. I've had them for a few years and they're wearing out. I hope I can get another pair, because they're great for things like this!

At orientation, most of guys wore t-shirts and jeans or cargo shorts, while some did khakis and polos. The girls I noticed mostly wore nice jeans and tops or light dresses or skirts. Nobody seemed put-off by what anyone else was wearing.

Next trick: On Friday is my department orientation, and Monday is the first day of class, and re-using my white leggings would be overkill, so I'll need another strategy for summer-business-casual-bike-riding wear. Hmm...

This is a bit off topic...but since the campus is now crawling with undergrads, I can tell you what NOT to wear:

-lycra (especially when it's leggings of bright colours)

- crop tops

- baggy tank tops with no bras

- knee high stocking with a miniskirt

- heels you can't walk in

- bras as tops.

I feel like an old woman, but what are kids wearing these days!?!!?

As for departmental dress- I think it depends (1) the season, and (2) the department. My home department is filled with hippies that wear shorts, linen skirts (not reserved just for females), fleece (lots of fleece in the winter) and jeans. Other departments I walk through have people in suit jackets and dressing like their about to rock a serious VP meeting.

I would stick to the basics. Comfortable, casual but business. Think a drink afterwork with a potential date. Dark jeans and a cute top with a bit of jewellery!

I am a bad person to ask for advice...I am going into my third year and have come to the realization that I can wear gym attire to the lab with no repercussions. That's bad...