PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2023

sheisgreat

Got an interview invite from NYU GPH this morn!! looks like they are having an interview day 2/9. From program admin, says its a 30 min chat with 2 faculty, but doesnt say who.

Also- emailed Brown to even see if they got my app and they said yes, I'll hear back in March, so likely a rejection.

Still no word from Drexel or Rutgers. Anyone heard from Rutgers?

19 minutes ago, olivecords said:

Got an interview invite from NYU GPH this morn!! looks like they are having an interview day 2/9. From program admin, says its a 30 min chat with 2 faculty, but doesnt say who.

Also- emailed Brown to even see if they got my app and they said yes, I'll hear back in March, so likely a rejection.

I interviewed with a prof in Rutgers Epi on Jan 10th. I was admitted two days ago 

14 minutes ago, olivecords said:

Can anyone that's been interviewing for SBS PhD programs assist with typical questions they were asked during 30 min chats? I have my first interview for public health next week

Epi experience here but I think the interviews are usually the same 

You should be very comfortable talking about (1) yourself and background (2) motivation for PhD (3) research experience (4) strengths and weakness (5) career goals (6) research interests especially the alignment with one or more of their faculty members (7) what you bring to the table (8) what you expect from the school/dept/prof aka advisor (9) ask questions - very sound questions 

48 minutes ago, olivecords said:

Congrats! I received an NYU GPH SBS invite today too!

18 minutes ago, spiralingepi said:

hey all. did anyone receive communication from gwu global public health sciences phd since first submitting the app? i don't want to email them just yet.

Hey hi - I couldn't wait... and emailed last week... (27 Jan) 

ME: 

Hello,

I am reaching out to see if you all may have an updated timeline on the PhD program in Global Public Health Science. I am sure you are all diligently weighing through applications, but any additional information you have is much appreciated. 

Kind regards,

THem: 

Hello XXXX,

Thank you for your email. The committee is still reviewing applications at this time. As son as a decision has been reached, you'll receive an email from our office with an admissions decision. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions!

Sincerely,

XXXXX

3 minutes ago, dogmom34 said:

Sad! How do you know? I had so many wonderful convos with the faculty. 

I emailed the director in mid Jan and he replied with this: "Hi XXXXX,

We have just sent out all our interview invitations.  I am sorry you are not included in that group.

"

Just now, lunalune said:

I emailed the director in mid Jan and he replied with this: "Hi XXXXX,

We have just sent out all our interview invitations.  I am sorry you are not included in that group.

"

This is funny cause I emailed the director not more than 10 days ago and I got a "we are still reviewing applications." 

Maybe it's not over till it's over!

10 minutes ago, dogmom34 said:

This is funny cause I emailed the director not more than 10 days ago and I got a "we are still reviewing applications." 

Maybe it's not over till it's over!

Maybe you're on their shortlist! Lol they just didn't like my behind

On 1/31/2023 at 1:58 PM, Myyday said:

Just received second interview request from POI. First was a couple weeks ago with a few other professors from the department participating.

Help I'm freaking out

Just came back after this interview. Well, after eating something after the interview, to be honest. Guess I was more stressed out than I thought, I think I ate for about 3 people. Anyways, it was more like a discussion than an interview about sime popular topics in the field, and what other things I should be studying before joining. Hope the professor finds my point of view interesting.

13 hours ago, olivecords said:

I heard from drexel for the community health and prevention program. poi and director of doctoral program emailed me about funding sources and said official letter to come.

38 minutes ago, bmore_epi said:

I heard from drexel for the community health and prevention program. poi and director of doctoral program emailed me about funding sources and said official letter to come.

When did you hear back? Had you interviewed?

1 minute ago, lunalune said:

When did you hear back? Had you interviewed?

originally I emailed and zoomed with the PI back in sept. submitted my app in nov. didnt hear anything until this week (monday). PI said the dept didnt make me do an interview because I had already met with her. before getting her email I thought I was going to get rejected because I saw on the main results page a few weeks ago that people mentioned interviewing for the program. 

2 minutes ago, bmore_epi said:

originally I emailed and zoomed with the PI back in sept. submitted my app in nov. didnt hear anything until this week (monday). PI said the dept didnt make me do an interview because I had already met with her. before getting her email I thought I was going to get rejected because I saw on the main results page a few weeks ago that people mentioned interviewing for the program. 

That's amazing, congrats!

3 hours ago, GlobalHealth1 said:

It looks like I’ll be applying again next year— what tips /whatcha learn to make your application stand out this year? 

I definitely emailed professors way in advance like early august. Before I emailed I read about the faculty on the school pages and also checked the NIH RePORT to see if they had any grants that I could work under https://report.nih.gov/award/index.cfm. Tried to set up zoom chats and then developed a solid elevator speech about what i want to do and how that fits with their current work, made sure I had at least 2 questions about their research ready to go in each meeting. 

In terms of myself I did a second masters program, was able to help a previous mentor with a book chapter, submitted three invited articles from projects I had worked on in my first masters. I also work full time in the field I want to study so was able to talk about practical applications of the potential research in my application. but this has been super exhausting and I am ready to just commit to a program and focus on being only a student for a while. 

This time I applied to 11 schools:

- interviewed with 6 so far

-rejected from 1 but the poi I had talked to left the school before the application review began, bummer ?

-assume rejection from 1 because no interview

-3 programs I have just not heard from or read about on the main results page

hope this helps!