Bloomington, IN

Guest SHELLY

2 hours ago, ibull said:

I'm not sure where you're at with registration, etc. but IU students have a in-house classified systems where some students mine for roommates there, so that might be contributing to the trouble you're having with networking with established student residents. (see https://one.iu.edu/ and look for "Classifieds" module—you likely won't be able to use the service until you receive your student credentials, which may not happen until Orientation this fall). FWIW I had a good experience when I moved here just by using Craigslist. You might get lucky, and I recommend living with someone who is from around here or has lived here a few years, if possible. Even if they aren't students!

Thanks, @ibull! I actually ended up signing a lease with a fellow graduate student a couple of weeks ago. (We're sharing a house with another student.) I actually ended up using craigslist and that worked out fine. :) Thanks for the tip about the classifieds forum.... but unfortunately I don't have a sign in yet. Seems like registration for most things has been moving kind of slow! But, I'm all set for my living arrangements, so I can't complain. 

Any other tips about living in Bloomington? I'm moving from the west coast (Seattle area), but I'm originally from Chicago and my family still lives there. 

Either way, thanks for responding to the original call-out! 

On 5/5/2017 at 11:19 AM, Joasia0429 said:

Thanks, @ibull! I actually ended up signing a lease with a fellow graduate student a couple of weeks ago. (We're sharing a house with another student.) I actually ended up using craigslist and that worked out fine. :) Thanks for the tip about the classifieds forum.... but unfortunately I don't have a sign in yet. Seems like registration for most things has been moving kind of slow! But, I'm all set for my living arrangements, so I can't complain. 

Any other tips about living in Bloomington? I'm moving from the west coast (Seattle area), but I'm originally from Chicago and my family still lives there. 

Either way, thanks for responding to the original call-out! 

If you're a stereotypical west-coaster like I am:

Coffee Joints to Check Out:

• Soma (on Grant St)
  • Hopscotch
  • Crumble

If co-ops are your thing, I have enjoyed being a member of Bloomingfoods while living here. Membership fee seems steep at first, but you can split it with others and have multiple people on one account. For as much organic and hippy-dippy shit I enjoy eating, I have definitely gotten my money's worth of this place.

There are local ordinance laws that give food trucks a hard time, so be sure to check out Food Truck Fridays if that is your thing. 

I love biking around here and lived comfortably without a car for a year. Now that I have a car, I still bike routinely because parking around the downtown area is terrible (unless we're talking about summer time and/or weekends). 

If you're into punk/alternative performances, be sure to follow what happens at The Void.

Both the Habitat for Humanity Restore and IU Surplus Store were incredibly helpful when I first moved here and needed to find used stuff. Sometimes the finds are absolutely incredible, so if you're into that kind of thing I recommend watching their facebook pages (linked). 

Finally, one of the most cherished treasures in all of town is the IU Cinema. Do not delay your first viewing. The selections are consistently amazing, so don't be afraid to try something new. Once you get your id most movies will be free, but even if you have to pay it's seldom more than $3. Totally worth your time. One of my biggest regrets is waiting until the end of my 2nd year to see a movie there with some new-found friends. 

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 8:53 PM, SlyManuel said:

Just thought I'd bump this thread.

Is Bloomington livable on the $16,000 TA stipend?

Any advice?

Time for making decisions I guess... help!

DEFINITELY! I went there for my undergrad. I have spent anywhere between 6300-8000 a year on rent. However, look quickly because housing gets snatched up pretty fast there. You don't really need a car. The transportation is pretty good in Bloom.

• 1 year later...

Looking to bring this thread back and see how people like living in Bloomington. It seems like campus itself has quite a bit going on, but does the city itself have enough things to do for you? That's my biggest hesitation about IU, as the faculty and program seem like a great fit for me. Some of the grad students I met on my visit seemed to echo my feelings, too.

On 4/9/2019 at 9:42 AM, FHG said:

Looking to bring this thread back and see how people like living in Bloomington. It seems like campus itself has quite a bit going on, but does the city itself have enough things to do for you? That's my biggest hesitation about IU, as the faculty and program seem like a great fit for me. Some of the grad students I met on my visit seemed to echo my feelings, too.

This is also my biggest fear about IU (that, and the weather--not too thrilled about snow!), given that I've lived near Los Angeles most of my life. I am actually leaving to visit Bloomington tomorrow so I hope to assuage my own fears by checking it out personally, but if you already visited and still feel this way, then I'm also worried I'll feel the same!

I also literally just received an $18k fellowship from them (I was previously only partially funded) so even though other people on this thread have said this is a livable amount, I'm still not sure how much I should be allocating for rent, especially since that is the pre-tax amount. Living in a high COL area means that I can't conceptualize a low COL area at all. Any insight into this would be appreciated!

I did my undergrad at IU, and I really enjoyed living in Bloomington. Most of what's going on is on/throughout/near the campus, but I don't think you'll be disappointed. One of the things I enjoyed was the easy access to some excellent opera, theater, ballet, and music because of the Jacob's School of Music. The talent there is amazing. There's a lot of outdoorsy things you can do nearby as well (e.g. a state forest, Lake Monroe, etc.). There's always something going on in downtown Bloomington, which makes it nice. Bloomington actually has quite a few interesting restaurants - certainly more than chains, and they're fun to check out. Also some great little coffee shops, etc. Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about not having something to do. That said, if you find yourself wanting to get out of the Bloomington bubble, Indianapolis is super close and easy to get to. 

As for the snow... No such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing ;) Bloomington in the spring/fall makes up for the winter I think. 

Cost of living is fairly low in Bloomington, certainly compared to LA. You can definitely get a 1BR for well under 1,000/mo., and if you have a few roommates you can get your costs down even more. Utilities and all that, if they're not included in your rent, are usually pretty low as well. 

Good luck and hope you enjoy your campus visit :)

@DeNovo Thank you for sharing your perspective! I've heard lots of great things from people who've done their undergrad there, and it's reassuring. I'm essentially choosing between there and the city I currently live in, so it's tempting to stick with what I know and like.

@ergative I'm in a pretty similar boat! I live in another midwest city with similar COL, and from my experience (and speaking with current students) the stipend seems perfectly livable. If Bloomington is similar, I would think $1000/mo. would be on the excessive side. Where I live, rent can start as low as $400/person (rarer) and be as high as $1000 (1 br), depending on location/condition/roommates/etc. Echoing DeNovo, I wouldn't worry too much about COL since utilities will also be low and day-to-day spending doesn't run as high either.

@DeNovo Thank you so much for responding and giving so much information! I'm in Bloomington now, I checked out Yellowwood forest, College Mall and the downtown area yesterday. I was surprised by how scenic the city is. Lots of trees and interesting architecture I saw from driving around. I'm used to the concrete jungle of SoCal so it was refreshing lol. I'm usually a hermit anyway so it does feel like there's enough going on to satisfy me, and as you said, Indianapolis (and other cities) are a short drive away if I really need an escape. The weather right now is too nice, I wish I had visited earlier so I truly know what the bad weather is like, but yeah I guess it does come down to suitable clothing ?

I also appreciate both you and @FHG for clarifying about the COL. It's really reassuring because the stipend wouldn't get you very far in SoCal. Now I can breathe and not worry too much about letting finances influence my decision. I'm leaning toward accepting it, but I'm going to be one of those people who wait until the 15th to make a final decision because I only just got here. If you end up at IU, let me know!

On 4/15/2019 at 8:29 AM, FHG said:

@ergative I hope your visit goes well! It was a very tough decision, but in the end I won't be going to IU.

Thank you, it's been going great! I have decided to attend IU, but I can understand why you wouldn't. I wish you the best of luck wherever you decided to go!

• 6 months later...
On 4/9/2019 at 4:42 PM, FHG said:

Hey there!

Thought I'd offer my opinion as someone who has lived in Bloomington for around 6-7 years now. It is a great town and there are SO many fun things to do. As a student, campus offers a lot but if I'm being honest the local culture is way cooler.

Some great yearly events:

Lotus Festival - Huge international/world culture music festival put on every September. Can catch some amazing acts.

Taste of Bloominton - Summer fest where all our (awesome) restaurants create small bit menus to serve food-truck style & live music

Midwest Distillers Fest - yearly distilling festival held in our neighboring town, Nashville.

Bloomington Farmers Market - Every Saturday. Literally the largest weekly gathering in the state. Street music, small art fairs, delicious produce.

Food truck Fridays

First Thursdays

Things to do:

- Restaurants; SO many good ones! We lack in some areas (namely central/South Am. cuisines) but have a huge spread of others. Bloomington has a really heavy international population, particularly Chinese and Korean so we have several awesome spots. Also some great Turkish Restaurants!

- Music! A lot of cool artists come through town and play at our local music venues; The Bluebird & The Bishop. Both are also great hangout bars. We .also have the Orbit Room which is a more underground ( also literally it is underground) punky type music venue.

- Craft artisan shops: We have tons of great local artisans. We have MADE which is a cooperative artisan, as well as GATHER which is similar but more currated.

- Outdoors! Bloomington and the surrounding area is GORGEOUS. Brown County has some of the midwests best hiking/camping if you as me. We also have two lakes with rentable paddleboard/canoes/kayaks.

- Exercise! Walk the beautiful B-Line trail (or Bike, cycle culture is huge here) and check out our wonderful parks. Or visit our indoor rock climbing gym, Hoosier Heights.

-Performances! We have an amazing music program and Theater program as well as multiple local community groups. Check out the yearly shows at the MAC or go spend a fancy night at the Opera or Ballet.

- Drink! We have great local breweries, including one that is totally dog friendly in and outside. Some local breweries: Upland, Quaff On, Switchyard and local Meadery/Ciderys: Friendly Beast, Oddball Fermentables; OR our local wineries: Oliver & Butler.

Bloomington is a wonderful town with so much to do. :) PM if you have any Q's.

• 3 months later...
36 minutes ago, Edminzodo said:

I've been offered the same - how are you coping?

It's not as bad as I thought it be. But definitely do not think that you could save money on this stipend. The only way to make it a comfortable one is to find somewhere cheap to live. I am currently on the wait list for an apartment that is 700 but it is a two bedroom so I can find a roommate and only pay 350. That is the only way to be comfortable with the stipend. 

18 hours ago, SlyManuel said:

It's not as bad as I thought it be. But definitely do not think that you could save money on this stipend. The only way to make it a comfortable one is to find somewhere cheap to live. I am currently on the wait list for an apartment that is 700 but it is a two bedroom so I can find a roommate and only pay 350. That is the only way to be comfortable with the stipend. 

Okay - I wasn't planning on saving, in all honesty. Do you think I'd be able to get a 1 bed for under 700? Don't mind walking, biking or taking the bus but I'd rather not sign up to live with someone I didn't know in my first year?

2 hours ago, Edminzodo said:

Okay - I wasn't planning on saving, in all honesty. Do you think I'd be able to get a 1 bed for under 700? Don't mind walking, biking or taking the bus but I'd rather not sign up to live with someone I didn't know in my first year?

Absolutely! There's a lot of places like that here. I lived in Sunflower apartments my first year for 575. 

7 hours ago, Edminzodo said:

The main problem with housing in Bloomington is that the affordable places (i.e. no roommate) are generally away from campus/downtown, so you'll likely have to take the bus/drive/ride. The bus away from the campus/mall area can be kind of annoying because many routes only run once an hour and there are a few areas that aren't serviced at all. There's also some proposed changes happening to bus routes that will probably result in negative changes to this but I haven't followed them. You can look up bus routes at https://bloomingtontransit.com/

Riding a bike is feasible most of the time but there can be some snow/cold days/rainy days. Parking sucks for students unless you want to arrive early (to get into the few spots), leave late (so you don't get charged to exit the garage), park at the stadium and take the shuttle, or park somewhere else that is free and walk.

Either way, find a place ASAP. There is an extremely large student (esp. undergraduate) population for how big Bloomington is and good housing fills up quickly because they push to re-sign leases early. West side housing tends to be the most affordable but there are places all over.

I also see many graduate students who end up going to Biolife for the extra ~$300/month (not that this is Bloomington only).

The other thing to keep in mind is some of the stipend will end up paying fees. I've heard that they're no longer charging tuition (i.e. tuition waivers in the past only covered 90-95% of tuition so you had to pay for some of it) starting in 2020, but I believe you will still be charged some fees (for me, it was about $1500 year). There was just a protest about this: https://indianapublicmedia.org/news/iu-grad-students-rally-against-unaffordable-fees.php

Feel free to PM if you have questions.

On 2/10/2020 at 8:17 PM, Yas-man said:

The main problem with housing in Bloomington is that the affordable places (i.e. no roommate) are generally away from campus/downtown, so you'll likely have to take the bus/drive/ride. The bus away from the campus/mall area can be kind of annoying because many routes only run once an hour and there are a few areas that aren't serviced at all. There's also some proposed changes happening to bus routes that will probably result in negative changes to this but I haven't followed them. You can look up bus routes at https://bloomingtontransit.com/

Riding a bike is feasible most of the time but there can be some snow/cold days/rainy days. Parking sucks for students unless you want to arrive early (to get into the few spots), leave late (so you don't get charged to exit the garage), park at the stadium and take the shuttle, or park somewhere else that is free and walk.

Either way, find a place ASAP. There is an extremely large student (esp. undergraduate) population for how big Bloomington is and good housing fills up quickly because they push to re-sign leases early. West side housing tends to be the most affordable but there are places all over.

I also see many graduate students who end up going to Biolife for the extra ~$300/month (not that this is Bloomington only).

The other thing to keep in mind is some of the stipend will end up paying fees. I've heard that they're no longer charging tuition (i.e. tuition waivers in the past only covered 90-95% of tuition so you had to pay for some of it) starting in 2020, but I believe you will still be charged some fees (for me, it was about $1500 year). There was just a protest about this: https://indianapublicmedia.org/news/iu-grad-students-rally-against-unaffordable-fees.php

Feel free to PM if you have questions.

Thanks so much, I will drop you a PM soon. I've been told that my fees are $600 so I don't think that'll be too much of an issue, but I am quite concerned about housing. I appreciate your help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I will be attending IUB this Fall as a graduate student. I do not want to live in a largely undergraduate populated area. Does anyone have a good site to find roommates? I have a dog and would love to rent a house and then just get a roommate, but I'm nervous about renting site unseen. Thoughts and resources?

On 3/14/2020 at 12:00 PM, NicholeB said:

I will be attending IUB this Fall as a graduate student. I do not want to live in a largely undergraduate populated area. Does anyone have a good site to find roommates? I have a dog and would love to rent a house and then just get a roommate, but I'm nervous about renting site unseen. Thoughts and resources?

Since I was born in Indianapolis and already knew a lot of people in Bloomington, I never had much of a roommate problem. I would suggest craiglist, or contacting current students in the department you're attending.

I would suggest looking at the southside and westside if you want to avoid undergrads (Rogers St. area has many reasonable spots). I'm not a student, but I live "downtown" and very close to campus and there are very few if any undergrads near me.

You might be able to create an IU account now if you know your student number. The student number probably isn't on the CAS site but it might have been in your acceptance letter or something. You can also try https://access.iu.edu/UniversityId/Lookup I know when I applied in the past (years ago), I was given a student number immediately upon applying but I have no idea if it still works that way with the CAS setup.

Once you have an ID, you can create an account https://one.iu.edu/task/iu/create-my-first-iu-account

Once you have an account, you can go to one.iu.edu and look at the classifieds for roommates: https://classifieds.iu.edu/classifieds/postings

There is an /r/indianauniversity subreddit, but it tends to delete posts about roommates.

Feel free to PM if you have questions about IU/Bloomington.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2020 at 11:00 PM, NicholeB said:

Hi NicholeB!

I will start grad school (Anthropology) at IU Bloomington too this fall. Are you going to join Anthro too? I'm also finding a roommate. There's a Facebook group that you can take a look!

Hope you are staying healthy and safe!

On 3/28/2020 at 7:02 AM, kevinxladd said:

Hi NicholeB!

I will start grad school (Anthropology) at IU Bloomington too this fall. Are you going to join Anthro too? I'm also finding a roommate. There's a Facebook group that you can take a look!

Hope you are staying healthy and safe!

Yes! I need a roommate as well. DM me! Looking forward to meeting you.