2023 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

walterkronkite

On 12/28/2022 at 1:24 AM, Diderot said:

Question: do y'all select the full 7 profs for interview day or just the 2 or 3 profs you said you would like to work with in your application? I'm struggling to decide. Thanks!

I mean, you should fill every spot if they're prioritized. Makes the admins job easier and you'll ensure you know who you're interviewing with. If you get paired with a rando prof, that's a wasted opportunity.

Hi all looking for advice, At Scripps I only received an interview request for the Florida Campus, not the California one. Even after discussing only CA based PI's in my personal statement. I'm not sure how to handle this, I've accepted the interview in FL because I have only one other interview offer at this time. The site says the admission standards are the same, should I reach out to see why I only got the interview at the campus I'm not that interested in? Should I email some PIs in CA to express my interest in their labs now that I have an interview and hope that they get me that CA interview? 

2 hours ago, astra said:

By the way, does anyone know if Stanford is expected to send out interview invites this week or next week? I've heard that in previous years they sent out phone calls first?

According to the Stanford biosciences PhD admissions FAQ: "During the week of January 9, 2023 (and the weeks that follow), the Home Programs will start to contact those applicants who have been selected for an interview. The selected applicants will be invited to interview virtually February 14-16, 2023. This will be our only interview session. Those admitted will be invited, at our expense, to an in-person visit March 16-19, 2023."

I'm not sure about phone calls, but I wouldn't expect anything until next week :) Good luck!

Also, in case anyone else was waiting on Columbia, it appears someone on Reddit contacted the administrator and was told all interview invites have been sent out. 

Update- the user on Reddit actually contacted the administrator about a different program (not the Neurobiology program), though I am not expecting much at this point anyway haha

Edited by astra

21 hours ago, astra said:

Also, in case anyone else was waiting on Columbia, it appears someone on Reddit contacted the administrator and was told all interview invites have been sent out. 

Update- the user on Reddit actually contacted the administrator about a different program (not the Neurobiology program), though I am not expecting much at this point anyway haha

Columbia NBB also says open house invitations are sent in late December (2022). So I'm presuming if we haven't received one, it's a no :(

18 minutes ago, puddingislovely said:

Still waiting to hear from Northwestern, Mt. Sinai, Stanford, Weill Cornell, and USC. Has anyone heard or NOT heard back from these schools? Both pieces of info are useful. 

I only applied to stanford of these and no contact yet.

My friend received interview to Northwestern a few weeks ago

34 minutes ago, puddingislovely said:

Still waiting to hear from Northwestern, Mt. Sinai, Stanford, Weill Cornell, and USC. Has anyone heard or NOT heard back from these schools? Both pieces of info are useful. 

From these, I applied to Mt. Sinai and Stanford. I heard from Mt. Sinai on 12/20, with options for in-person interviews on 2/6-7 or 2/9-10. I have yet to hear from Stanford.

10 minutes ago, neuro-min said:

Hey y’all, I think Stanford has begun sending out interview invites. I received a phone call today!

(Also, does anyone know if MIT BCS and Mt. Sinai are done sending out interview invites?)

Wow!!! Congratulations!! I hope they send out more over the next few days. Just anxiously waiting here ?

59 minutes ago, Astrogli said:

I received a phone call too! Have you received an email from the program at all??

I received an email from the person who called me (some time after the call). I think the official emails are sent out next week though!

7 minutes ago, neuro-min said:

Also, does anyone know what the acceptance rate is after being chosen to interview at Stanford (or maybe other specific programs)? I’m excited but also really worried 

If virtual interviews, I would guess ~60%

That's what it was for UCSF virtual interviews FA21 cycle.

Edited by lowestprime

4 hours ago, neuro-min said:

Hey y’all, I think Stanford has begun sending out interview invites. I received a phone call today!

(Also, does anyone know if MIT BCS and Mt. Sinai are done sending out interview invites?)

2 hours ago, Astrogli said:

I received a phone call too! Have you received an email from the program at all??

Congrats to both of you!! I'm just going to assume I got rejected. I don't think they interview very many people since they only accept around 20-25 each year.

Just now, aspiringphd01 said:

Congrats to both of you!! I'm just going to assume I got rejected. I don't think they interview very many people since they only accept around 20-25 each year.

During the info session, they said they're going to try to interview "as many as possible" this year. Could be true if interviews are virtual.

10 hours ago, Neurolucida said:

Received an interview to Stanford last night so looks like they may continue giving interviews throughout the weekend/week

Congrats to you and everyone else who got an interview!!

9 hours ago, aspiringphd01 said:

Oof I wish that they just sent them out all at once, so I'd know if it's a yes or no! Thanks and congrats!

Seriously! Same!

On 1/6/2023 at 2:32 PM, puddingislovely said:

I heard back from USC on 12/15, and also haven't heard back from Weill Cornell or Stanford either. 

Edited by ts3070