2023 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

walterkronkite

3 minutes ago, holmosaint said:

Congrats! Could you share more info on the invitation email please?

Thank you!! I'm totally shocked... It was an official email from the program addressed to me with a google form for my info and faculty interview preferences. The interview is super late (March 9-10) and virtual, and I just need to respond by the end of January

16 minutes ago, aspiringphd01 said:

Thank you!! I'm totally shocked... It was an official email from the program addressed to me with a google form for my info and faculty interview preferences. The interview is super late (March 9-10) and virtual, and I just need to respond by the end of January

Does it look like the email is only sent to people in specific tracks (e.g. systems or cell/molec) or to all BCS interviewees? I applied to computation/cog sci and am wondering if I'm rejected or not...

13 minutes ago, compneuro2023 said:

Does it look like the email is only sent to people in specific tracks (e.g. systems or cell/molec) or to all BCS interviewees? I applied to computation/cog sci and am wondering if I'm rejected or not...

They don't mention the track at all, but this email was directly sent to me (it wasn't a mass email or anything). My guess is that they will be sending out invites over time because I don't have to respond until Jan 31!

Edited by aspiringphd01

5 minutes ago, StrawberryCupcake said:

Congrats! I got an invitation from them at around the same time!! I think it might be a mass email...

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing which tracks you applied to? And in the faculty interview preferences are you able to select any faculty at BCS or just from particular tracks?

3 minutes ago, compneuro2023 said:

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing which tracks you applied to? And in the faculty interview preferences are you able to select any faculty at BCS or just from particular tracks?

Thanks! I am applying to 2 systems labs and 1 cognitive. It is still possible the systems track send the invitations first. After all the interview is two months away. For the interview preferences, you can select 8 from any tracks.

1 minute ago, bcookie2 said:

congrats on your official interview invitation for BCS, that's amazing!

just wanted to add--I don't believe this is all of the invites just yet, because I literally just (as in today) had an informal zoom interview with a prof in cognitive track. so fingers crossed there's another wave coming soon. ?

Did a PI just email you for an interview? And you haven't received the mass email from BCS mentioned above?

1 minute ago, walterkronkite said:

Did a PI just email you for an interview? And you haven't received the mass email from BCS mentioned above?

they emailed me a few days ago requesting the informal interview, and today we had the interview. no, i did not get the mass email invite

Edited by bcookie2

21 minutes ago, aspiringphd01 said:

Do you know if MIT BCS pretty much only interviews and accepts people based on what the professors want? That seems different from other top neuro programs

From what I know, the committee still comes together to make final decisions about applicants, but if you have spoken to a professor and they see your interests/potential align with their research, then they can vouch for you and advocate for you during these discussions, which is very helpful.

Also, I have been told this is somewhat similar to how psychology PhD admissions work (where it's usually a mentorship model rather than a rotation model). The BCS program is a rotation model program, but it still helps to have a professor vouch for you so you know you have a potential placement in at least one lab.

Edited by astra

11 hours ago, neurosciencePhD said:

I'm feeling like there haven't been too many new updates here. I was wondering if anyone has received an interview from Brown NSGP (not NIH), UNC BBSP, Duke Neurobiology, Harvard BBS or Yale INP? If so, I was wondering what days these were received 

I go received an interview from Brown today. Idk if they're releasing it in one day or in batches this week. But they did say that they finished reviewing all of the applications.