Counselling Psychology Canadian Application Forum Fall 2023

stillpsych

19 minutes ago, gradgirl30 said:

Does anyone know if its good news if your application is underreview instead of prescreening? Or do all applications go under review?

Probably doesn't mean anything, as someone else suggested. But I was wondering the same thing. My thesis based application is still in pre-screen, but the course-based is Under Review. 

47 minutes ago, clinicallypsych3d said:

Has anyone heard from Western?

Also curious about this. I applied to the Counselling and SACP programs but haven't heard anything from either one. With the deadline being so late, it's likely we won't hear back for another 2-3 weeks at the minimum ?‍♀️

Any current students lurking who might have updates?

On 2/6/2023 at 1:20 PM, gradgirl30 said:

Does anyone know if its good news if your application is underreview instead of prescreening? Or do all applications go under review?

From my understanding, "under review" just means the are looking at your application and it's been submitted. 

On 1/25/2023 at 1:59 PM, merciful_ said:

Got my first rejection from Macmaster Msc psychotherapy:') was anyone able to score an interview?

I got an interview. I'm sorry you got rejected -- sending you the best of luck for any other applications you submitted this year! 

On 1/31/2023 at 2:00 PM, alexastudent said:

Has anyone received a decision from UA course based yet? 

Still waiting - Based off of last year’s forum it looks like waitlist goes out mid Feb and then rejections and acceptance go out beginning of March. Please post if you hear sooner! 

3 hours ago, alexastudent said:

Did they receive an email or was it on their dashboard? 

No, the PI they applied to for thesis based called them to let them know they got in to both streams. So this is specific to the PI. I assume everyone else will be hearing from Marsha via email.

1 hour ago, WickedWorld91 said:

Just curious, did they do their undergrad at U of A?

Nope, we come from a smaller university in Edmonton.

1 hour ago, psychowannabee said:

No, the PI they applied to for thesis based called them to let them know they got in to both streams. So this is specific to the PI. I assume everyone else will be hearing from Marsha via email.

Nope, we come from a smaller university in Edmonton.

Did anything on the dashboard change? Or was it just an email indicating this?

I am feeling extremely discouraged! This is the fourth year I am applying to a counselling program. The first time I got rejected, I had so much experience yet my grades in undergrad were around a B+ so officially I did not get admitted. Four years later,I finished a Masters of Edu with stellar grades. I have over 6 years of experience in the counseling field AND I still got rejected. Are they looking for unicorns? At this point it seems like they are seeking students who published in 10 000 journals, have four PHD’s and have 20 years of experience. I know I shouldn’t take it personally but it is extremely disheartening. They tell me to get better grades, I get better grades. They tell me to get experience I have over 6 years of volunteering and academic experience in the field. My reference letters are even from two professors of the faculty… I am completely shattered and I am starting to think it’s personal. I know I shouldn’t but at this point I don’t know what else I can do. I am completely shattered and feeling extremely lost. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1 hour ago, Counsellinggirl said:

I am feeling extremely discouraged! This is the fourth year I am applying to a counselling program. The first time I got rejected, I had so much experience yet my grades in undergrad were around a B+ so officially I did not get admitted. Four years later,I finished a Masters of Edu with stellar grades. I have over 6 years of experience in the counseling field AND I still got rejected. Are they looking for unicorns? At this point it seems like they are seeking students who published in 10 000 journals, have four PHD’s and have 20 years of experience. I know I shouldn’t take it personally but it is extremely disheartening. They tell me to get better grades, I get better grades. They tell me to get experience I have over 6 years of volunteering and academic experience in the field. My reference letters are even from two professors of the faculty… I am completely shattered and I am starting to think it’s personal. I know I shouldn’t but at this point I don’t know what else I can do. I am completely shattered and feeling extremely lost. 

Oh my, so sorry to hear about this. I can’t image how discourgaged you are feeling. Did you apply this year and also you got rejected?

I know it’s so difficult and sometimes feel unfair as you see others get accepted who may not have as much experience. 

1 hour ago, Counsellinggirl said:

I would highly suggest getting your application materials (CV, Statements, Transcripts) looked over by current grad students or other applicants who have been recently successful. Not to say this is your case but I have encountered a lot of people who said they have xyz amount of years of both research and volunteer experience then when they show me their CV, the experiences they have is not something that is what these programs are actually looking for or that their research experiences are only doing surface level type of work and not too much depth. 

17 minutes ago, psychowannabee said:

I would highly suggest getting your application materials (CV, Statements, Transcripts) looked over by current grad students or other applicants who have been recently successful. Not to say this is your case but I have encountered a lot of people who said they have xyz amount of years of both research and volunteer experience then when they show me their CV, the experiences they have is not something that is what these programs are actually looking for or that their research experiences are only doing surface level type of work and not too much depth. 

Agreed with this. From what I've heard, it sounds like real helping experience is crucial (even more so than grades) to be successfully admitted. Not only listing out experience on your resume, but going into depth in your personal statement about how you have been shaped by these experiences and what they have taught you.

This is my second year applying and I can admit that last year, I made the mistake of failing to properly reflect on my professional experiences, relating them directly to the program, and to the field as a whole. After making these changes I'm happy to say I've been admitted to one program so far, and interviewed for a program I was waitlisted for last year. 

It takes time, and effort, and lots of confidence in yourself. You got this, @Counsellinggirl

Edited by psyc1818