Counselling Psychology Canadian Application Forum Fall 2023

stillpsych

6 hours ago, sunshinescout said:

Hi all,

Just saw over on the admissions results grad cafe page that someone got accepted to the clinical and counselling psyc program at UofT, so results may start coming out soonish for counselling psychology at UofT : )

Hey thanks for the update. From what I have heard, usually clinical programs release results much earlier than the counselling program. 

I applied to the counselling at UofT last year and I remember most programs released results and counselling was the last. Last year I heard back in April. 

Edited by ManukaHoney

4 hours ago, ManukaHoney said:

Hey thanks for the update. From what I have heard, usually clinical programs release results much earlier than the counselling program. 

I applied to the counselling at UofT last year and I remember most programs released results and counselling was the last. Last year I heard back in April. 

Thank you for offering up some information from your experience last year! When you were denied last year, do you remember if you found out first from an email or the portal? I check these silly portals daily (sometimes more than once) and I wonder if I should bother. Also -- sincerely wishing you the best of luck this cycle! This is my first time applying and it's... a lot! 

On 2/16/2023 at 10:36 AM, Counsellinggirl said:

I am feeling extremely discouraged! This is the fourth year I am applying to a counselling program. The first time I got rejected, I had so much experience yet my grades in undergrad were around a B+ so officially I did not get admitted. Four years later,I finished a Masters of Edu with stellar grades. I have over 6 years of experience in the counseling field AND I still got rejected. Are they looking for unicorns? At this point it seems like they are seeking students who published in 10 000 journals, have four PHD’s and have 20 years of experience. I know I shouldn’t take it personally but it is extremely disheartening. They tell me to get better grades, I get better grades. They tell me to get experience I have over 6 years of volunteering and academic experience in the field. My reference letters are even from two professors of the faculty… I am completely shattered and I am starting to think it’s personal. I know I shouldn’t but at this point I don’t know what else I can do. I am completely shattered and feeling extremely lost. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm so sorry this happened :( It's so hard to know what they're looking for because I've noticed too that some people have so much experience and they don't get accepted, meanwhile those with not as much experience do. It's unfair tbh and I wish they were clear about what EXACTLY they want

On 2/25/2023 at 7:41 PM, uncrnpwr said:

Thank you for offering up some information from your experience last year! When you were denied last year, do you remember if you found out first from an email or the portal? I check these silly portals daily (sometimes more than once) and I wonder if I should bother. Also -- sincerely wishing you the best of luck this cycle! This is my first time applying and it's... a lot! 

No problem!

Last year, I did not receive an email at all. I checked my portal and found the update there! It was really strange, because everyone else received emails but I never did, I even checked my spam, etc. 

So yes, it is is a possibility

On 2/26/2023 at 7:55 AM, VioletFrostMoon said:

I'm so sorry this happened :( It's so hard to know what they're looking for because I've noticed too that some people have so much experience and they don't get accepted, meanwhile those with not as much experience do. It's unfair tbh and I wish they were clear about what EXACTLY they want

Hi there!

Fellow OISE applicant here :) I’m curious how you are checking your portal. Are you using ACORN to check? I am not a UofT student, and am not super familiar with ACORN. Any help is appreciated! I am one who is also obsessed with checking the portals 😅

1 hour ago, empatheticallyuninept said:

my roomate heard back this morning, and got an interview so hopefully we can as well

I stand corrected.

Edit: Does anyone know if they contact everyone during the same time period? Or is it safe to say that if you haven't heard, you're out?

Edited by A_Poor_Undergrad

5 hours ago, alexastudent said:

Does anyone know how many applicants UA course based is taking? Or maybe how many they took last year? Thank you :) 

They typically take a combined total (thesis + course) of around 9-10 (idk if it goes higher than that) cohort with about 60-70% of those people from course based. Normally there would be 2-4 thesis students, the rest are course based.