Counselling Psychology Canadian Application Forum Fall 2023

stillpsych

On 3/9/2023 at 11:11 AM, Toughcook1e said:

I got accepted by McMaster and rejected by Ottawa (MEd Counselling). My interview with McMaster was on Feb 9th. No email notifications were received, and I checked both online portals to find out the results. If anyone is interested in my stats, I am happy to share them.

I applied to graduate school three times in total - in 2019, 2020, and 2022. I understand how struggling and anxious we all are at this stage! When getting rejected for the second time, I was super discouraged and started to question myself. Looking back, I am glad I was able to pick myself up. Stay hopeful and believe in yourself even if it may take longer for your hard work to pay off ❤️

On 1/31/2023 at 4:00 PM, alexastudent said:

Has anyone received a decision from UA course based yet? 

I got waitlisted 

40 minutes ago, selmay said:

Hi guys!

Has anyone been waitlisted for the course-based counselling psychology at UofA? Do you have an idea as to how many people are on the waitlist because they never told me.

Thank you

I was also waitlisted and I emailed about my spot on the waitlist and they were able to tell me. However, I don’t know total numbers. Based on what they told me, probably around 30 ish? 

Hi everyone! 

I'm currently waitlisted for the MEd. program at UBC and feeling very anxious. 

Is anybody else here also waitlisted for UBC? Also, does anybody know when the deadline to accept or decline an offer for UBC is? 

At this point I'm just desperately trying to find ways to relieve my anxiety even though I know it won't go away until I finally hear back about a final decision anyways haha 

I hope you all are taking care of yourselves during this super stressful time!!

Hi everyone! 

This is my first year applying to masters counselling and/or psychotherapy programs. Seeing everyone’s posts has really reassured me that I can seek further experience and re-apply next year if necessary. So on behalf of my anxiety, thank you very much. I only applied to the U of T MEd counselling & psychotherapy program this year so I could focus primarily on building experience if I am unable to begin this fall. Hopefully the remaining programs will respond to everyone soon! Anyway, good luck to everyone who is awaiting or received their acceptances! you guys are killing it!! best of luck :)  

On 3/16/2023 at 10:22 AM, alexastudent said:

I was also waitlisted and I emailed about my spot on the waitlist and they were able to tell me. However, I don’t know total numbers. Based on what they told me, probably around 30 ish? 

Thank you for letting me know. Did they tell you when they'll get back if you're waitlisted? 

1 hour ago, mentalhealthmasters said:

For anyone who got accepted into UOttawa’s MEd program, when is the deadline to accept for you? I am trying to gauge when I can hear back about my status on the waitlist. thank you!!

March 30th - however, keep in mind many are accepting their offers in hopes of hearing back from other schools and later rejecting UOttawa!

Hey! I received an email today from McGill admissions (for the counselling psych MA) telling me I was waitlisted. However, I had emailed the PI I applied with previously and she told me that while I was briefly waitlisted the other person she offered to had accepted the offer. So, does anyone know what this means? Thank you!

Hi everyone! I emailed OISE admissions asking about any updates for the MEd Counselling Psychology program and this is what they told me: 

Your application is currently under review by the department. Since you applied by the November 15th deadline, you should hear an admissions decision soon.

Fingers crossed for everyone expecting to hear back from OISE!! 

Edited by neonbutterfly
Incomplete

On 3/10/2023 at 11:33 AM, bebeyoda22 said:

Yes! I am feeling so impatient seeing all the other schools start to send out updates, knowing it will probably be a long time until we hear. My Casper results only got sent over earlier this week! But, on the other hand, they did email me at the beginning of February before the deadline and said they were starting to review applications, so maybe it will be sooner than we think. Good luck to you, as well!

I spoke with the Student Advisor and Admission Coordinator, she says a decision has been made for all the students. They expect letters to come out at the end of this week or by latest end of next week. I am so impatient, I think I check my email and LORIS portal about 20 times a day! I just want to know what the response is so I can move on with and plan the next couple years of my life! I only applied to Laurier so I put all my eggs in one basket here.

Wishing you good luck! Please let me know when you hear back :)

7 minutes ago, DocMcflufffin said:

I spoke with the Student Advisor and Admission Coordinator, she says a decision has been made for all the students. They expect letters to come out at the end of this week or by latest end of next week. I am so impatient, I think I check my email and LORIS portal about 20 times a day! I just want to know what the response is so I can move on with and plan the next couple years of my life! I only applied to Laurier so I put all my eggs in one basket here.

Wishing you good luck! Please let me know when you hear back :)

I heard end of this week from the registrar and I am SO impatient! Did you hear anything about how many applied or do you know how many spots there are? Good luck!!!

39 minutes ago, bebeyoda22 said:

I heard end of this week from the registrar and I am SO impatient! Did you hear anything about how many applied or do you know how many spots there are? Good luck!!!

Ah! Now you got me even more excited! I didn't ask about that but from their informational session, they  said they normally get around 100 applicants and they accept around 60ish. 

11 minutes ago, DocMcflufffin said:

Ah! Now you got me even more excited! I didn't ask about that but from their informational session, they  said they normally get around 100 applicants and they accept around 60ish. 

9 minutes ago, DocMcflufffin said:

Did you apply to any other programs? 

This is why I don't understand why more people don't apply to this program! It is so much less competitive to achieve the same end result of becoming an RP. I wonder if people are confused about the spiritual care aspect... or maybe they are just that uninterested in learning about religion and spirituality. I'm not a religious person at all myself, but it can't hurt to learn more about religion as a topic. I really enjoyed the RS classes I took in undergrad, as well.

I applied to UOttawa for the MRP and thesis streams and was waitlisted and rejected, respectively. I am not too upset though because I was less interested in the education side of things and want to continue living in KW. I actually kind of felt relieved to not have to uproot my life here, haha!

Just now, bebeyoda22 said:

This is why I don't understand why more people don't apply to this program! It is so much less competitive to achieve the same end result of becoming an RP. I wonder if people are confused about the spiritual care aspect... or maybe they are just that uninterested in learning about religion and spirituality. I'm not a religious person at all myself, but it can't hurt to learn more about religion as a topic. I really enjoyed the RS classes I took in undergrad, as well.

I applied to UOttawa for the MRP and thesis streams and was waitlisted and rejected, respectively. I am not too upset though because I was less interested in the education side of things and want to continue living in KW. I actually kind of felt relieved to not have to uproot my life here, haha!

Yes, I feel you! Honestly one of the only reasons I applied was because I felt like I had a shot at it after hearing this. I don't have a picture-perfect application and figured there was no way I was going to get accepted into the other super competitive programs. I think the fact that it's associated with Martin Luther University confuses people. I only found out about this program through the list of accepted programs on the CRPOs website.