Counselling Psychology Canadian Application Forum Fall 2023

stillpsych

5 hours ago, bebeyoda22 said:

Just found out I got an offered a SSHRC award from UOttawa, but didn't get accepted to the program. If anyone wants a good sense of how competitive these programs are!

It’s my understanding, based in conversations with undergrad counselling profs, that if you get a SSHRC they will often open up a seat for you. If it was a matter of just not having a good match with a prof for research, message another one after reaching out and letting the admissions team know.

It might feel like a long-shot, but that SSHRC award is worth a lot.

1 hour ago, SørvinDaulErikaardtre said:

It’s my understanding, based in conversations with undergrad counselling profs, that if you get a SSHRC they will often open up a seat for you. If it was a matter of just not having a good match with a prof for research, message another one after reaching out and letting the admissions team know.

I've already accepted another offer! Just thought I'd share the experience since the competition seemed especially harsh this year.

3 hours ago, SørvinDaulErikaardtre said:

I received the SSHRC for SFU but hadn't heard anything from them about an interview invite. Asked yesterday if they had any news and just received the rejection today :( Quite hard to understand the system, since I believe SFU themselves awards their allotted SSHRC's, but I guess it's another group within the university. Good luck to all the rest!

On 4/3/2023 at 4:32 PM, rexandmatcha said:

I think I will wait till the end of the week before I reach out to them. I will keep you all updated! 

On their official website it says "If you submit a complete application by November 15, you will receive your official results by April. https://www.oise.utoronto.ca/registrar-students/admissions

To the point of reaching out to OISE, I recommend checking r/OISE as well - there are people on that forum who have reached out regarding their MEd app status, I found it reassuring(ish?) to see what OISE had to say to them

53 minutes ago, counsellingapplicant23 said:

To the point of reaching out to OISE, I recommend checking r/OISE as well - there are people on that forum who have reached out regarding their MEd app status, I found it reassuring(ish?) to see what OISE had to say to them

Thank you! Those posts were so helpful to read. To summarize, OISE aims to respond to everyone who applied before Nov 15 by the end of April. Also, acceptances, wait lists, and rejections are rolling so if you haven’t heard yet that’s good news… means there is still a chance! Anyway that’s my interpretation of what I read on the threads. I guess now we just gotta wait patiently and keep ourselves busy so we don’t lose our mind  😂

On 3/22/2023 at 12:32 PM, bebeyoda22 said:

This is why I don't understand why more people don't apply to this program! It is so much less competitive to achieve the same end result of becoming an RP. I wonder if people are confused about the spiritual care aspect... or maybe they are just that uninterested in learning about religion and spirituality. I'm not a religious person at all myself, but it can't hurt to learn more about religion as a topic. I really enjoyed the RS classes I took in undergrad, as well.

I applied to UOttawa for the MRP and thesis streams and was waitlisted and rejected, respectively. I am not too upset though because I was less interested in the education side of things and want to continue living in KW. I actually kind of felt relieved to not have to uproot my life here, haha!

Hi! What is the name of the program with the spiritual care aspect?

Good morning everyone -- I accepted my offer from OISE (MEd in Counselling Psychology) and submitted my decline of offer at McMaster (Psychotherapy). I wanted to share in case any of you are on the waitlist at Mac and waiting to hear back. This was a really hard decision as both programs are excellent. Both programs have equal pros and cons, but the location of OISE just works much better for me and my partner which was the deciding factor.

Best of luck to you all! I hope everyone hears back from the programs they applied to this week so you can start planning your future! 🙂 

Hey everyone, just heard back from uoft via email and I got waitlisted. The email mentioned they sent out their first round of acceptances and if someone declines the may reach out if they decide to move forward with my application. So looks like just a bunch more waiting for us.

Hopefully this means they're sending out more decisions today!

Edited by merciful_

55 minutes ago, merciful_ said:

Hey everyone, just heard back from uoft via email and I got waitlisted. The email mentioned they sent out their first round of acceptances and if someone declines the may reach out if they decide to move forward with my application. So looks like just a bunch more waiting for us.

I also got this email! 

At least it’s an update but sigh.. still hard. 

I recieved my final decision letter this morning, from OISE for the Clinical and Counselling Psychology program. AYeYe

If anyone is starting in UCalgary Counselling Psych this Fall, please message me! Would love to connect :)

Edited by neuropsycho

what do you guys think about the non academic programs that crpo accepts such as OPC or gestalt institute? they are not unis but they do make your registered to work as a psychotherapist by crpo

On 4/10/2023 at 12:56 PM, merciful_ said:

Hi if you don't mind me asking was this for the counselling and psychotherapy program for uoft?

On 4/10/2023 at 12:56 PM, merciful_ said:

It sounds like acceptances and waitlists went out... does that mean whoever hasn't heard is likely getting rejected? I am frustrated I have not heard anything at all.. if they are going to reject me just do it sooner than later lol. Idk at this point it seems like they sent out acceptances and wait lists so what else are they waiting for? If anyone has any insight on this would appreciate it! 

Rejected from UofT. That's 7/7 brick and mortar public universities that didn't open up their doors to me this round. I'm beginning to think it was a letter of intent issue on my end but without any feedback as to why I was rejected, it's tough to know.

Best of luck to those of you who got in this year! Any help or advice for the next round would be greatly appreciated.

5 hours ago, A_Poor_Undergrad said:

Rejected from UofT. That's 7/7 brick and mortar public universities that didn't open up their doors to me this round. I'm beginning to think it was a letter of intent issue on my end but without any feedback as to why I was rejected, it's tough to know.

Best of luck to those of you who got in this year! Any help or advice for the next round would be greatly appreciated.

It's hard to say if it's about your letter without the full context of your application. What kind of research experience do you have? Clinical experience? Awards? 

7 hours ago, A_Poor_Undergrad said:

I’m sorry to hear that. Rejection sucks!! The lack of feedback does not help either. Did they email you or were you just notified there was a change to your application status? 

On 4/11/2023 at 3:04 PM, SørvinDaulErikaardtre said:

Hey SFU shortlisted folks! I talked to Trina today and it looks like there’s around (under) 50 applicants interviewing. She said that there were fewer people shortlisted this year than there normally would be.

Hey do you know how many seats they have this year? I remembered they only offered 12 seats back in 2021. 

How was the interview like if you don’t mind sharing? I’m assuming they are just common interview questions since it’s only 40 minutes for 4 applicants.