Counselling Psychology Canadian Application Forum Fall 2023

stillpsych

5 minutes ago, DocMcflufffin said:

Yes, I feel you! Honestly one of the only reasons I applied was because I felt like I had a shot at it after hearing this. I don't have a picture-perfect application and figured there was no way I was going to get accepted into the other super competitive programs. I think the fact that it's associated with Martin Luther University confuses people. I only found out about this program through the list of accepted programs on the CRPOs website. 

I think looking at the CRPO (or wherever you wish to register) accepted programs is the best way to find programs. It is confusing though, when Luther also offers a very similar MDiv and some of the other accepted programs are actual seminaries. Good for us to have fewer applicants, though, haha!

Edited by bebeyoda22

For anyone wondering about SFU, I emailed Trina asking about when we should hear from them regarding interviews and this was her response:

I imagine we will be sending out notifications about short listed interviews in the next few weeks as the short listing process is well underway. These will likely be sent by email, with instructions for the mock-counselling video requirement.”

I was looking on Reddit, and two people said they received acceptances this morning for the MEd in Counselling Psychology at OISE (UofT). Has anyone else heard back from them? I was under the impression we wouldn’t hear back until late April/early May.

11 minutes ago, Lmwstudent said:

I was looking on Reddit, and two people said they received acceptances this morning for the MEd in Counselling Psychology at OISE (UofT). Has anyone else heard back from them? I was under the impression we wouldn’t hear back until late April/early May.

Yep, I just received my acceptance from the MEd U of T Counselling program about half an hour ago! 

Hi everyone,

Congrats to everyone who got in this year and my greatest condolences to those who didn't. Applying is the fucking worst. I've been applying for years to the BC schools and haven't had much luck, so this year I decided to apply to 11 schools cross-canada and got accepted into U of Lethbridge, UNB, and OISE MEd. I'm waitlisted for UBC (11/15 so bad chances lol). I'm from Vancouver BC, and am really wanting to get into SFU or UBC so I don't have to uproot my partner and I and our life here. In case UBC or SFU doesn't work out for me, I'm curious to see if anyone has any info on the Lethbridge or Toronto program? Aka, does anyone know anyone who's been accepted into those programs/completed them that would be willing to chat with me at all? I know Toronto is super competitive (and honestly am surprised I got in cause my stats are not that great but I have a lot of experience so maybe that's the kicker for them), but regardless, I know UBC is super competitive too, and many friends of mine that have done their MEd program came out of it feeling a bit unsure of themselves practice-wise - however, it is close to me with is attractive.

Looking for any advice or suggestions or information on either of these programs! Anything is much appreciated 🙂 

27 minutes ago, AAA91 said:

Hi everyone, I haven’t received an offer from uoft MEd Counselling Psych yet, but my status on Acorn just got changed!! So for those who also have heard back from uoft, maybe you can check Acorn as well :)

FE02E2CB-2712-4E80-84BD-C29EB8EA45EE.jpeg

Thank you so much! Would you mind sharing the initial of your last name? Im wondering if they’re doing things alphabetically.

1 hour ago, AAA91 said:

Hi everyone, I haven’t received an offer from uoft MEd Counselling Psych yet, but my status on Acorn just got changed!! So for those who also have heard back from uoft, maybe you can check Acorn as well :)

omg same! does this mean we will be offered admission soon? In the Academics section it shows "invited" status but I am still really anxious cuz I really have no idea what this means

9 hours ago, icecreamqueen2022 said:

Hi everyone,

Congrats to everyone who got in this year and my greatest condolences to those who didn't. Applying is the fucking worst. I've been applying for years to the BC schools and haven't had much luck, so this year I decided to apply to 11 schools cross-canada and got accepted into U of Lethbridge, UNB, and OISE MEd. I'm waitlisted for UBC (11/15 so bad chances lol). I'm from Vancouver BC, and am really wanting to get into SFU or UBC so I don't have to uproot my partner and I and our life here. In case UBC or SFU doesn't work out for me, I'm curious to see if anyone has any info on the Lethbridge or Toronto program? Aka, does anyone know anyone who's been accepted into those programs/completed them that would be willing to chat with me at all? I know Toronto is super competitive (and honestly am surprised I got in cause my stats are not that great but I have a lot of experience so maybe that's the kicker for them), but regardless, I know UBC is super competitive too, and many friends of mine that have done their MEd program came out of it feeling a bit unsure of themselves practice-wise - however, it is close to me with is attractive.

Looking for any advice or suggestions or information on either of these programs! Anything is much appreciated 🙂 

Hi there! I was also waitlisted for UBC and I'm guessing my chances aren't great either. I'm thinking of it as a rejection at this point. I haven't applied to any of the schools you've mentioned, but I'm curious to know if you've considered City U? I have a few friends who have gone through/are currently going through the program and I hear pretty good things about it.

9 hours ago, AAA91 said:

How do you make an account with Acorn? I only have my login information for the application portal. 

When I worked at UofT, I had a Utorid but I wasn’t prompted to make one when applying for the program … let me know! 

Hi all, 

Would love your insight on this. 

I have been accepted to the Mcmaster masters of science in psychotherapy program and the OISE Masters of Education in counselling program. I am struggling which program to choose. I know Mcmaster's program requires you to complete 500 hours of practicum, wheras uoft is 250 hours. However, program-wise, I am struggling to make a decision.

What would you do if it was you?

Also, is it true that MEd opens up more doors to a doctorate down the line?

I am leaning more towards Mcmaster program as it is more clinical?

46 minutes ago, ManukaHoney said:

Hi all, 

Would love your insight on this. 

I have been accepted to the Mcmaster masters of science in psychotherapy program and the OISE Masters of Education in counselling program. I am struggling which program to choose. I know Mcmaster's program requires you to complete 500 hours of practicum, wheras uoft is 250 hours. However, program-wise, I am struggling to make a decision.

What would you do if it was you?

Also, is it true that MEd opens up more doors to a doctorate down the line?

I am leaning more towards Mcmaster program as it is more clinical?

I would look at the college your want to register with (likely the CRPO) and check how many client hours are needed to get your license. If the number is closer to 500, doing them through your school program with supervision and support included might be beneficial, compared to trying to find another internship with supervision after the fact. Just one thing to consider!

10 hours ago, psyched123 said:

How many seats does SFU offer for MEd Counseling Psychology? I’ve heard it’s as low as 6. By when can we hear back from them for interviews?

SFU has a total of 12 seats between the MA and MEd program. There isn’t a designated number of seats for each program, but from what I’ve heard, the MEd typically has more acceptances than the MA. 
I emailed Trina this week about when we should hear back about interviews and she said they are well underway on the process of shortlisting, but we won’t hear back for another few weeks :(