2023 Fall Sociology Applications - Support, Advice, Results, Etc

SportySpice

1 minute ago, saffasrass said:

It's a mixed bag with offers, honestly. Sometimes the information on funding comes with the acceptance, sometimes you get an informal offer from the department and then the "official" offer later from the grad school. Since you didn't get the funding info in your initial offer, you'll likely get a follow up within a week or two with more information. Congratulations!!

Thank you! This is super helpful :)

1 hour ago, lordofsushi said:

I got my first acceptance recently to Colorado State University via email! They haven't sent out funding information yet, does anyone know when they normally do that? This is my first PhD application cycle so I'm unsure of how this normally works lol.

yeah, i could also give some perspective on this! in my email from umiami, my funding information was provided in the letter they sent me. in my email from ualbany, they told me my funding information would come out around a week after my acceptance, and it came around 1-3 days after. it just varies by department!

9 hours ago, Donna Matthews said:

Hello !

does anyone heard anything from Boston University? I am so anxious, I can’t sleep or think about anything else!!!

Nope! Nothing here from Boston University. Hopefully soon (this week? next?)?

Well, my Brown rejection arrived this morning. Was really hoping I was on some kind of unofficial waitlist, having not heard back yesterday on what seemed like rejection day after last Friday's slew of admit offers. I'm trying to remember a part of this process is about luck and being in the right place at the right time, but I do feel extremely gutted right now, as I truly do not know how much more qualified I could have possibly been, given my experience and fit with the program. Brown was my second choice.

I have 8 programs I have yet to hear back from so I'm going to try to pick myself back up and hold out hope that something better happens soon.

5 minutes ago, fdurruti said:

Hi! Does anyone heard anything from University of Michigan, Cornell or Notre Dame?

Michigan and Cornell usually release results in mid to late February and don't interview so you probably won't hear back from them until then. Notre Dame (usually) sends out interview invites in early February, but a lot of programs have been running behind their normal schedules based on results from previous cycles.

Edited by saffasrass

3 minutes ago, saffasrass said:

Michigan and Cornell usually release results in mid to late February, and don't interview so you probably won't hear back from them until then. Notre Dame (usually) sends out interview invites in early February, but a lot of programs have been running behind their normal schedules based on results from previous cycles.

Thx you for your reply; in that case I can only wait. Have a good week!!!!

25 minutes ago, zh_awk said:

Well, my Brown rejection arrived this morning. Was really hoping I was on some kind of unofficial waitlist, having not heard back yesterday on what seemed like rejection day after last Friday's slew of admit offers. I'm trying to remember a part of this process is about luck and being in the right place at the right time, but I do feel extremely gutted right now, as I truly do not know how much more qualified I could have possibly been, given my experience and fit with the program. Brown was my second choice.

I have 8 programs I have yet to hear back from so I'm going to try to pick myself back up and hold out hope that something better happens soon.

I know this may not help much, but don’t despair. Grad applications/admissions is an actual crapshoot and we just don’t know how it works. I hope you get into a good program and months from now when you are in a grad program, the rejections hurt less. 

Still haven’t gotten mine yet and I am very close to pulling my hair out. I know it’s a rejection, it’s just so tortuous they haven’t officially notified me. Ugh!!

25 minutes ago, whyamIhere said:

I know this may not help much, but don’t despair. Grad applications/admissions is an actual crapshoot and we just don’t know how it works. I hope you get into a good program and months from now when you are in a grad program, the rejections hurt less. 

Still haven’t gotten mine yet and I am very close to pulling my hair out. I know it’s a rejection, it’s just so tortuous they haven’t officially notified me. Ugh!!

Thank you, I appreciate that a lot. Last year I made the mistake of applying to a single program and ended up on the waitlist there before an official rejection, so at least this time around I have many more chances, and can "play the game" a little more effectively. 

Good luck with your apps! You're so right, this waiting game is absolute torture. 

15 minutes ago, Ace4 said:

Good insights. Do you know if Pittsburgh usually interviews applicants? Thanks.

I haven't applied to Pittsburgh, so I can't tell you with 100% certainty. It also looks like there aren't a lot of results posted for Pitt, so I can't speculate, sorry!

20 minutes ago, ohnoherewegoagain said:

@zh_awki agree with @whyamIhere— i know it may sound easier said than done, but try not to despair. i've been through this process twice, and my rejection from cornell last year hurt so much. the truth, though, is that programs are just so selective. you never know. i'm wishing you the best of luck!

Thank you, I appreciate it a lot! I hate how much of a crapshoot this process is, but it really is just an inherent part of how it goes, I guess. Just gotta keep pushing through it!

Good luck to you as well!

Re: strikes at UC affecting offers (someone asked in the thread) - definitely. UC doesn't want to allocate more money to grad students, so they're trying to find ways to cut down the grad student population or try to get around the contract. For example, there's a rumor about UCI Social Sciences (school that oversees Sociology) trying to fuss around with fellowship-type funding because they're under the (mistaken) belief that it's exempted from the union contract (which is funny, because it's not, so you all might just wind up with more fellowship money with UC getting absolutely no financial benefit from it; karma!).

Can't speak for other UCs but I do know that has been affecting admissions here at UCI re: funding offers, how many offers can go out, etc., since the department is trying to figure out how much money they'll get from Social Sciences. In the department's defense, to be clear, they do not control this.

Edited by lkaitlyn

8 minutes ago, lkaitlyn said:

Re: strikes at UC affecting offers (someone asked in the thread) - definitely. UC doesn't want to allocate more money to grad students, so they're trying to find ways to cut down the grad student population or try to get around the contract. For example, there's a rumor about UCI Social Sciences (school that oversees Sociology) trying to fuss around with fellowship-type funding because they're under the (mistaken) belief that it's exempted from the union contract (which is funny, because it's not, so you all might just wind up with more fellowship money with UC getting absolutely no financial benefit from it; karma!).

Can't speak for other UCs but I do know that has been affecting admissions here at UCI re: funding offers, how many offers can go out, etc., since the department is trying to figure out how much money they'll get from Social Sciences. In the department's defense, to be clear, they do not control this.

Thanks for the info! I wonder if what you describe affects how offers got sent out, e.g. if they are being slowly released instead of coming out in batches? Obviously UC Berkeley has released results but the results page have only had four or five people reporting, so don't know if it is rejection for me or if they are still in the process.

It seems like CUNY has not yet sent out WLs? Just informal acceptances? For those who got admitted, did you end up getting a formal acceptance? I saw a comment from someone on the results page saying that the department will send the official acceptance and funding info if they accept the offer? How can one accept an offer without being told funding info?

5 hours ago, Jsmom said:

It seems like CUNY has not yet sent out WLs? Just informal acceptances? For those who got admitted, did you end up getting a formal acceptance? I saw a comment from someone on the results page saying that the department will send the official acceptance and funding info if they accept the offer? How can one accept an offer without being told funding info?

I hope this is the case and that they send out waitlists soon. I didn't get an interview, but holding on to hope that I might get waitlisted regardless because its my top choice school.

That's weird that they are saying that they'll send funding info after accepting the offer. I don't know who would accept without funding information. 

Congrats to all who got accepted to Rutgers! Did you receive the information via e-mail or was the information in the application system? I haven't received anything and honestly I just feel really defeated and sad. This was such a top choice for me and I felt that the interview went well. So now I'm just gutted :( Well, six more programs to go..