SSHRC CGS -D & Doctoral Fellowships 2023-2024

capricorn97

3 minutes ago, PsychedelicRaccoon said:

Anyone else still waiting on an email / unable to change their password to create an account and access extranet?

Lol fantastic timing! Yep, you're not alone. What committee did you apply to? 

2 minutes ago, PsychedelicRaccoon said:

I am studying clinical psychology so I am assuming we are grouped in the same committee

It's possible. My topic is pretty firmly educational psychology so I have no idea how they grouped me, but I'm definitely somewhere in committee 4. Pretty relieved to hear I'm not the only one with no results yet though! 

4 hours ago, The1 said:

Hey! I am in the same situation as you... I have emailed them, but it says it can take up to 10 days. Could you let me know if you find out more? Thank you!! 

I am also the same- at an American institution, applied directly to SSHRC, and have multiple documents that are labelled differently (CGS-D vs Doctoral). I emailed last night when I received the results email, so I can update if I happen to hear back first about it.

1 hour ago, PsychedelicRaccoon said:

I am studying clinical psychology so I am assuming we are grouped in the same committee

I'm studying clinical psychology as well (or I guess I will be starting the clinical program this fall 2023) and I received my results approx. 4 hours ago from committee 767-4A!
Result: CGS-D Funded (Total funding: $105,000)

Fingers crossed for those STILL waiting!!

Edited by criticalthinker

20 minutes ago, rmpk98 said:

I'm in clinical and can access the site but my results will not download. Anyone else having that issue or have a solution?

I've been trying to get it to load for over an hour. I got as close as seeing a folder to download but it just kept loading and eventually timed out. I think I need to take a break and come back later. I can't even get the site to load now. Sigh...

2 minutes ago, PsychedelicRaccoon said:

Am I the only one paranoid that my application somehow got lost or not submitted? 

I literally just said this out loud to my partner! I'm so nervous about there still not being an account attached to my email! But there's strength in numbers; the fact that there is more than one of us would suggest that it's not a mistake. What a wait though, my goodness. 

I got the email with the link at midnight last night, was able to access the documents to find out that I was not awarded a fellowship (though was recommended) at 5:45 AM ET and haven't been able to access the site since. 

Two years ago when I was also rejected, I never remember having this much of an issue accessing the site. 

Dealing with 4000 applications at once, is not that much load on a government site, I don't understand why they would allow this sort of situation to happen. 

4 hours ago, JB9797 said:

Finally got in to a page with 4 separate PDF documents--maybe this is the regular page? Anyways, unfortunately didn't get it. First time applying, directly from abroad. Luckily I still am funded by my French contract so not in *total* financial ruin, but definitely a blow to self-esteem. I know my application wasn't perfect, but I felt a little stifled by the selection committees. I'm from a Philosophy background, but working on AI ethics. I chose committee 7522 as it's the only one with philosophy and thus related to moral theory, but was also filled with experts from dead languages, classics, history...

Committee 752-2A

Total score: 8.23, 88 with 62 offered among 128 applications. Score of last funded is 9.12. So, not on the waitlist clearly (unless many of you decline! haha)

Thanks everyone for the support through this channel. Excellent work and congratulations to everyone who succeeded. They're simply ins't enough funding in Canada (by the way, support the strikes for increased research funding as 20K is hardly enough for anyone to survive). Despite rejection, our research is worth it--at least, that's what I'm telling myself ;) ha

Same boat as you. I went with committee 2A with a proposal on AI ethics and did not receive funding. I also felt stifled by the committee choices but had to choose philosophy. Feeling pretty crushed right now 😕 

1 minute ago, curiouscelery said:

Same boat as you. I went with committee 2A with a proposal on AI ethics and did not receive funding. I also felt stifled by the committee choices but had to choose philosophy. Feeling pretty crushed right now 😕 

Well...something to be said about solidarity living with this situation 😅.

I do understand the initial reason to group philosophy with the classical subjects, but surely it's not difficult to know by now that at least half of philosophical theses are way more contemporary and interdisciplinary in areas like ethics of AI, healthcare, etc. Yet we need the expert with philosophical methodology to judge us. (Especially AI Ethics being a massive field now--I don't want to sound like a total sore loser through haha).

8 minutes ago, JB9797 said:

I do understand the initial reason to group philosophy with the classical subjects, but surely it's not difficult to know by now that at least half of philosophical theses are way more contemporary and interdisciplinary in areas like ethics of AI, healthcare, etc. Yet we need the expert with philosophical methodology to judge us. (Especially AI Ethics being a massive field now--I don't want to sound like a total sore loser through haha).

I have been told from faculty, that anything with any sort of technical bent doesn't do well at SSHRC. 

Most of the reviewers are from the humanities, so they don't understand AI, code, computational methods. 

There needs to be some middle ground between SSHRC and NSERC, or SSHRC needs to be better at recruiting reviewers from more disciplines. 

1 minute ago, marloe said:

I have been told from faculty, that anything with any sort of technical bent doesn't do well at SSHRC. 

Most of the reviewers are from the humanities, so they don't understand AI, code, computational methods. 

There needs to be some middle ground between SSHRC and NSERC, or SSHRC needs to be better at recruiting reviewers from more disciplines. 

Yea I agree with you on that one, especially given the increasing trend of interdisciplinary theses. Although I did a search of previous years SSHRC fellowships and I saw a handful given to AI-based projects. So I do think it also has to do with the luck that the one specific community will have the right magic combination of members.

3 minutes ago, catdad007 said:

While many are still waiting for SSHRC results, FRQSC website has crashed upon results release :') 

I can't even load the website anymore. I'm temporarily giving up. The torture continues but checking a page that doesn't load it possibly even worse right now.

3 minutes ago, bluetopaz said:

I can't even load the website anymore. I'm temporarily giving up. The torture continues but checking a page that doesn't load it possibly even worse right now.

Hope you get your result soon. Funding cuts are showing. My group this year had 21 people and 6 got funding while last year's group had 11 and 7 got funded... 

23 minutes ago, JB9797 said:

I think this is a fair point and I agree. Philosophy has changed a lot. I do wonder if more traditional philosophical approaches (like working with the cannon) are prioritized (even subconsciously) with a committee like that. Anyway, I accept my loss, I just feel a bit discouraged by the organization of the committees.

19 minutes ago, marloe said:

Fair point, but my proposal was not technical at all. I have zero background in computing and had no mention of anything technical in my proposal. You can talk about AI without getting into technical details by just explaining how people plan to use the technology (i.e. in healthcare, etc.). And I come from a purely ethical and political background, so I don't think this was the problem for my application. Ah well, hopefully I can improve for next year.

Hi guys! I have been trying to access the site for over an hour now. I got as far as seeing a link called CGS-Doc in the extranet, but when I clicked on it the page timed out. Does the naming on the link show any indication of whether you were successful? 

1 minute ago, PinkPylon said:

Hi guys! I have been trying to access the site for over an hour now. I got as far as seeing a link called CGS-Doc in the extranet, but when I clicked on it the page timed out. Does the naming on the link show any indication of whether you were successful? 

My failed app, also said CGS-Doc. 

20 minutes ago, curiouscelery said:

Fair point, but my proposal was not technical at all. I have zero background in computing and had no mention of anything technical in my proposal. You can talk about AI without getting into technical details by just explaining how people plan to use the technology (i.e. in healthcare, etc.). And I come from a purely ethical and political background, so I don't think this was the problem for my application. Ah well, hopefully I can improve for next year.

Same for me here