MPH 2023 Canada

PHWarrior

1 hour ago, jzysan said:

I should have applied to MPH instead of M.Sc. I'm still waiting sadly. I'm getting more anxious everyday as I see acceptances. 🥲

I truly believe that MSc applications really haven't been rolling out yet. I've seen one that claims they got in under the MSc, but from what i hear, a supervisor has to agree to supervise you before you get an acceptance. The MPH isn't like that (course based i believe), so they accept a lot faster. Also, the MPH has been closed since Dec 31st.

32 minutes ago, acran0715 said:

I truly believe that MSc applications really haven't been rolling out yet. I've seen one that claims they got in under the MSc, but from what i hear, a supervisor has to agree to supervise you before you get an acceptance. The MPH isn't like that (course based i believe), so they accept a lot faster. Also, the MPH has been closed since Dec 31st.

True. I saw from two people that they got accepted from MSc, and one of them received an offer relatively fast. I talked to two supervisors prior to my application, and I thought I would get news soon, but I haven't heard from them. We had great conversations, so it would be a bummer if I didn't get in. I really want to do research under either of them. 🥲

10 minutes ago, Natasha.01 said:

Just got into UofA MPH 😍 Finally the wait game comes to an end. haven't heard back from lakehead though. 

Congratulations!! So happy to hear. Looks like this thread brings good luck to those applied to MPH at UofA!! 

8 minutes ago, jzysan said:

True. I saw from two people that they got accepted from MSc, and one of them received an offer relatively fast. I talked to two supervisors prior to my application, and I thought I would get news soon, but I haven't heard from them. We had great conversations, so it would be a bummer if I didn't get in. I really want to do research under either of them. 🥲

I don't think many offers have gone out yet. I have yet to decide who I'd like to go with (hoping to know tomorrow after some further discussions). When I talked to one of them last week, they said applications were still going through the "process"

17 minutes ago, Natasha.01 said:

Just got into UofA MPH 😍 Finally the wait game comes to an end. haven't heard back from lakehead though. 

Yey! Congrats.

So far it looks like we will have an interesting cohort. I saw that we have an MDs and a dentist in our MPH group. We should have great time bouncing ideas from each other :)

Can’t wait to meet you all!

Also, I was wrong about the fact they accept everyone. I am talking to a faculty member/prof in the program and this year they had more applications than last year, hundreds of applicants, it was highly competitive.

I guess those who don’t get in just don’t post, so it doesn’t seem competitive, but it is.

1 minute ago, acran0715 said:

I don't think many offers have gone out yet. I have yet to decide who I'd like to go with (hoping to know tomorrow after some further discussions). When I talked to one of them last week, they said applications were still going through the "process"

Good luck tomorrow! Hopefully we hear soon then. Seeing acceptances make me anxious at this point. 🥲

3 hours ago, FoodieMPH said:

Also, I was wrong about the fact they accept everyone. I am talking to a faculty member/prof in the program and this year they had more applications than last year, hundreds of applicants, it was highly competitive.

I guess those who don’t get in just don’t post, so it doesn’t seem competitive, but it is.

i am an international applicant so i have also received a letter of support to help issue my study visa from UofA and it stated the program is so competitive that only 10% of applicant make it to admission offers. Last year out of 500 applications only 80 received offers. this year its even more competitive since we have one general MPH stream only with maximum capacity of 50. 

3 hours ago, Natasha.01 said:

i am an international applicant so i have also received a letter of support to help issue my study visa from UofA and it stated the program is so competitive that only 10% of applicant make it to admission offers. Last year out of 500 applications only 80 received offers. this year its even more competitive since we have one general MPH stream only with maximum capacity of 50. 

Hey Natasha! How's it going? I'm also an international applicant and I recently decided to throw my hat in the ring for UofA's mph program - even though I applied at the last minute! But I haven't heard back from them yet and I'm starting to get a bit antsy. Would you mind sharing your profile with me if you're comfortable? By the way, I also applied to Usask, Guelph, and McMaster - how about you?

7 hours ago, Natasha.01 said:

Did they mention that the intake's max capacity is 50? 

On 3/14/2023 at 11:12 AM, allydaagator said:

Nothing on my end yet either. I heard Lakehead does take people in like mid march- late march. I guess it a waiting game now if anything.

I am still under department review for all the programs I have applied to. I see waterloo is sending out acceptances, so im assuming im down the list somewhere, no rejection yet is good news I guess as I heard of someone being rejected from Loo. 

omg people already got rejected from waterloo!? 😮

11 hours ago, Natasha.01 said:

Last year out of 500 applications only 80 received offers. this year its even more competitive since we have one general MPH stream only with maximum capacity of 50. 

Yes! I went to the faculty today to ask questions (I already go to UofA). And this year there were close to 700 applicants, more than last year for whatever reason. Maybe people get more interested in public health?

1 minute ago, Popcorn21 said:

On the application guidelines, it says that we will hear beginning of April. I hate this waiting game. 

Thanks! I thought I had seen that somewhere, but I couldn't find it. 

33 minutes ago, MPHapplicant982 said:

Now I am really worried because all of them are getting offer letters from UofA and mine it still show pre screening...I don't know what to do and what does that mean now..

Did you applied to MPH as well? It's okay. I saw threads from Reddit that sometimes the portal doesn't update that much. People have been on prescreening, and they jump straight to decision. It can be a crazy process. Don't worry too much! Best of luck to you!