Is it corny for grad students to wear their grad university's paraphernalia?

PFitz

I don't think its corny at all. I'm at a conference in my field and there are lots of grad students with shirts and other stuff from their schools.

The only thing that is "corny" is how expensive those items are. Seriously, "with the stipend y'all are offering, can I at least get a complimentary hoodie? I mean, I won't have the money to turn up my heat..."

Never corny at all to celebrate your achievements in grad school. You are part of a team.

The one school I bought lots of 'school merchandise' from I dropped out of. Now I'm superstitious: I've told myself I can buy MyU goodies once I've passed my qualifying exams (at which point I'll pretty much be guaranteed a master's, at least).

It's too bad, though;I love the T-shirts here. Our mascot has such a kick-ass attitude. Literally. (see below)

MuleClear.gif

• 3 weeks later...

If it is then I must be corny because I've got two hoodies, a couple of Ts and some other paraphernalia. I'm just as much a Columbia student as the undergrads (more, maybe, since I'll be here longer! LOL.)

And I didn't pick my program for the regalia but it is a relief that it's quite pretty. I like Columbia blue!

I don't know, "school spirit" seems to be an especially American thing. I'm proud of my accomplishments, but I don't feel any special affection for either of the schools I've attended. I've bought school paraphernalia before, but mostly for christmas presents. I have a small pin on my bag, and even that makes me sometimes a little self-conscious. I've never once attended a university sporting event, and I paid little to no attention to how "our teams" were doing. I think this is pretty common up here; college sports just aren't a big deal. If I'm fortunate enough to attend a US school in the fall, I'm open to change.

I don't usually wear grad school paraphernalia, because I dislike my grad school's colors. Purple and canary yellow. Sometimes I wonder if someone was dropping acid when they came up with that.

I try to avoid wearing any undergrad paraphernalia on days where the two schools are playing against each other.

I'm wearing my school's paraphernalia right now. Where I live, people wear the university's gear all the time--I'd guess most are not even alumni; they just like the athletic teams or their kids go here. It's not a big deal. And working here at the University, they give it away--so I have a couple of free shirts and hoodies.

• 2 months later...

One of my promises to myself if I got into Yale was that I could buy the ridiculously expensive Yale totebag I saw at the bookstore when I was interviewing. I didn't get in, so it's moot now, but you can bet that I'll be purchasing at least a hoodie or a tote bag or something for whatever school I do end up attending.