Anyone Regret Anything? (2010-2011 Edition)

HyacinthMacaw

My application season has gone well so far so I don't really have any huge regrets. However, if I were to do the last four years again I would change some things:

1) Taking a summer off was a mistake. Doing research in the summer when you can work full-time is probably the best way to learn about your field and in some ways the only chance to make significant progress on a given project, so in retrospect it made little sense not to take advantage of an opportunity to do this, especially when I had not better plans. In addition, I didn't realize how soul-crushingly boring four months of doing nothing would be. All my friends had jobs and so I was stuck essentially on my own. By the end I was almost praying for the beginning of the semester. :P

2) I regret starting my applications fairly late. I actually thought I was doing fairly well early in the fall, I chose potential programs of interest, talked to people about letters, etc. But when I started working on applications, I was surprised to find that the whole thing took longer than I had anticipated. Maybe the biggest problem was that I decided to apply for the NSF fellowship only a month before it was due and in the end I was almost racing to finish the thing (good thing I work best under pressure). On the other hand, after I had the NSF statements written, I wrote my statements of purpose and other essays fairly quickly as I already had an idea of what to say and could even cannibalize the NSF personal statement/research statement. I still ended up applying close to the deadline for most programs though...

3) Finally I would probably apply to fewer schools. But it's easy to say this now after I have gotten some offers, it was a completely different situation when I was in the middle of applying and stressing out about my chances at the schools I was looking at.

Edited by tso123d

It's too early for me to tell. Right now I feel like I've done okay with the process so far with my naive undergraduate wisdom. I applied to 12 schools but I might think that I should have applied to more if I don't get in anywhere... Also, I'm sure I will regret things I did or didn't do during my interview(s).

Despite having an awfully busy semester I am actually content I just got all my applications sent in on time. :)

Well, I think if we are applying to graduate school we're all probably kind of over-achievers. And hence when something doesn´t have a measurable top (i.e. SOP, LOR process, writing sample, etc) we always end up thinking "I could have done better".

Truth is I also feel this way about many parts of my apps. But I think I'm reaching the "F*** it" stage. I no longer obsses about what might have been, I think about the SOP or a typo in an app for a second and then say "F*** it".

Quite frankly I don't believe doing anything differently would have seriously improved my chances. Come March I'll know whether it was enough or not. I really hope it is, but if it isn't... well.... "F*** it!".

Edited by OR_Dan

I would have waited on sending my SOP out to my top choice until I had written about three or four of them.

I should have asked professors to look over my writing sample.

I wished I would have made more contact with the programs.

I regret paying the amount of $$ I did.

Anyone else?

Oh, let's just all meet for a few days in the Caribbean, drink a couple of margaritas, and laugh about it.

Best idea ever. Although if the Caribbean is a bit out of the way for most people, we could always go to $3 happy hour down the street at La Barca....

Just remembered something else!

I wish I had taken the time to get published/ present at some conferences. Unfortunately, I worked way too much during this Master's, and I barely had time to finish the workload I was given (I am taking 5 classes a semester, one semester was 6 classes), let alone sit down and prepare a piece to be submitted to a journal/ conference. This is actually one of my biggest regrets sad.gif I get so obsessed with working, once I see a paycheck I'm always thinking about how I can increase it, which means I sign up for more hours ... definitely shouldve had my priorities straight!

In a lot of ways, this application season was a test run. I didn't even think about applying to any PhD program until July or August, when I told a professor I was communicating with of my plans and she steered me this direction. I had taken the GREs in 2009, but my scores were abysmal. My UG GPA is absymal too, so all I have going for me at the moment is a decent SOP, wonderful LORs, a 3.8 grad GPA, and great communication with a POI at the one school in which I've applied. If I don't get in this year, I will certainly be sad, but it won't be unexpected. And then I will add more tear-jerking statements to my SOP, retake the GRE and have my M.Ed finally under my belt. Next year is looking kinda nice actually....

In a lot of ways, this application season was a test run. I didn't even think about applying to any PhD program until July or August, when I told a professor I was communicating with of my plans and she steered me this direction. I had taken the GREs in 2009, but my scores were abysmal. My UG GPA is absymal too, so all I have going for me at the moment is a decent SOP, wonderful LORs, a 3.8 grad GPA, and great communication with a POI at the one school in which I've applied. If I don't get in this year, I will certainly be sad, but it won't be unexpected. And then I will add more tear-jerking statements to my SOP, retake the GRE and have my M.Ed finally under my belt. Next year is looking kinda nice actually....

I feel the same. If I'm not accepted, Ill take the year to do the things I wish I had time to do, like get published, present at conferences, beef up my CV, etc...

I wish I had contacted the program before applying. Last time I contacted a program before applying, I ended up not applying to the school because I received a very negative response. So maybe not contacting the programs was for the best. Who knows? It's hard to tell at this point. I just wish they had gotten to know me a little better. It's hard not to sound generic when you are basically telling the adcom committee what they want to hear. I hope what I presented was memorable enough. I should really stop second doubting myself.:unsure:

I wish more people had read my SoP before I submitted it. Most of the feedback I received was very positive, but I had trouble convincing myself it was the absolute best I could come up with. I spent about 2 months working on it, and I was never fully satisfied with it. Too late now!

In cleaning my stuff out of my parents' house, I found the newspaper I was editor-in-chief of during high school. The last edition of it was an "advice to juniors" special--all about applying to college. One thing that stuck out-- "Applying to college is like taking a class. You can do it in the fall on top of everything else, or you can do it in 'summer school.'"

Yeahhhh....wishing I knew now what I knew then? I did the applying for fellowships gig over the summer, and was so burned out from that and my job that I didn't start on apps until around Thanksgiving.

Yes. I regret not contacting one of my schools to see what their interview dates were. I assumed they would have more than one... but alas. So of the two places I applied, both want me the same weekend. &$^#%@

Not a big deal in the long run, since I work at the University that I am unable to "visit," but it causes some headaches and stress that I would rather NOT deal with!

I regret not applying to more out-of-state schools. Originally, I was only planning on applying to Texas schools since I was born and raised here, my family is here and isn't leaving, and there are good schools here- no need to leave. I ended up throwing one out-of-state school into the bunch just for kicks not thinking I had any chance at actually being admitted. But apparently I'm way more awesome than I thought I was and I've received interview invitations from all but one school. Now it's been killing me that although I have a chance at the out-of-state school, it may still be a small chance or if I get accepted by this out-of-state school AND an in-state school I'd have to choose. On top of that, there's an incredibly sweet and supportive guy in the out-of-state school area that I've really become closer to since starting applications, so if I don't go to that school I fear I may always wonder "what if" with him....

I also regret not applying to at least one Masters program on top of the PhD programs since I've recently been doubting whether or not a PhD is worth the time commitment and if a PhD is right for me. I should have applied to a Masters in the out-of-state school area mentioned earlier.

Oh well... Can't do anything about it now. Out of my hands, out of my control. Sucks....

I wish I had contacted the program before applying. Last time I contacted a program before applying, I ended up not applying to the school because I received a very negative response. So maybe not contacting the programs was for the best. Who knows?

Last year I sent emails out to potential POIs. Oddly enough, the school I go the most negative email response from was also the only school that I got anything from. From the schools that expressed exuberant interest by email, I got nothing but a form letter rejection.huh.gif This year I sent out no emails and am just going to let the chips fall where they may.

Last year I sent emails out to potential POIs. Oddly enough, the school I go the most negative email response from was also the only school that I got anything from. From the schools that expressed exuberant interest by email, I got nothing but a form letter rejection.huh.gif This year I sent out no emails and am just going to let the chips fall where they may.

Very interesting. I am counting on my POI contact to help the chances of my application being received favorably. Although, I made a point to meet with the POI face-to-face so we could see if this would be a good match. That may be the kicker...

I wish I had contacted the professors wherever I applied.

I second that, though was advised that its not really a done thing in my program so I didn't have to do it. Still now I think the extra effort might have helped, but I didn't want to tick off any faculty :-/ oh well.

I guess this second guessing is natural though. It happened while I was writing some of my later SOPs too. Kept finding small, probably inconsequential things that I could have caught earlier and then freaking out about them!

Can't wait to be done with this!

I guess emails don't really make a difference. I can imagine the adcom going: That girl dared to email us a while back! REJECT! :P

thats really interesting!! you just gave me renewed hope ... thanks!