U Minnesota Funding

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, and are you going to the visitation day Digitality? I was out there in May for the Rhetoric Society of America conference, so I doubt I'll go again. Can't miss the work. Lord knows we'd better start padding the savings account. Lots of Ramen to save for . . .

Do the comp/rhet programs' adcomms differ from the literature ones? I applied to both Minnesota and Syracuse and I see they've notified comp/rhet applicants so I'm wondering if that means literature admits have been notified?

No, completely different programs. Syracuse's rhet/comp program is housed in the Writing Center. They have nothing to do with literature applications. Same with Minnesota; their department is Writing Studies, which is also separate from the literature program. Outside of programs like Penn State's (at which rhetoric students still take literature classes), most rhet/comp applicants are not put in the same pool as literature applicants.

14k a year according to the letter I got . . . . Curious to know if you received more or less or the same? Not for competition reasons . . . just curious if we have some room for negotiating with the department . . . !

That's what my letter said, and I haven't run across any other funding options.

Oh, and are you going to the visitation day Digitality? I was out there in May for the Rhetoric Society of America conference, so I doubt I'll go again. Can't miss the work. Lord knows we'd better start padding the savings account. Lots of Ramen to save for . . .

I am going to the visitation day. I'm in a master's program, so it won't be a big deal for me to take off. Plus, I've never been and am very curious about the campus and the Twin Cities area.

About the Ramen: I do see the cost of living is a good bit higher than what I'm used to--hoping my partner finds an excellent job so I can keep up my organic food and wine habit! :)

Also, I see you've been accepted to Syracuse (congrats!)--what do you think of the two programs in comparison to one another?

Edited by digitality

That's what my letter said, and I haven't run across any other funding options.

I am going to the visitation day. I'm in a master's program, so it won't be a big deal for me to take off. Plus, I've never been and am very curious about the campus and the Twin Cities area.

About the Ramen: I do see the cost of living is a good bit higher than what I'm used to--hoping my partner finds an excellent job so I can keep up my organic food and wine habit! :)

Also, I see you've been accepted to Syracuse (congrats!)--what do you think of the two programs in comparison to one another?

Twin Cities is awesome. All the cultural perks of a big city but with plenty of Minnesota-nice to keep things friendly. Great public transportation, great restaurants, great football. The campus itself is gorgeous and relatively easy to navigate. Hmm . . . maybe I'll go on Visitation Day after all . . . (I'm from L.A., so the cost of living is way LESS than what I'm used to . . .)

From what I've researched, Minnesota is more 'rhetoric' and Syracuse is more 'composition.' I'd love to pursue a dissertation in the rhetoric of science, so Minnesota's program is obviously better suited for that. However, Syracuse has a new prof who does work in transnational writing practices, which I'd also love to pursue. Syracuse's program is housed in the writing center and its SOLE focus is the PhD program. On one hand, that means an excellent student/faculty ratio and a small, tight community of scholars; on the other hand, it means I won't really get training in how to navigate the kind of complex department politics I'll likely confront in the future. So we'll see . . . What are your research interests? Who is your advisor at Minnesota? Is Minnesota one of your top choices? It's one of mine for sure. Glad we got the acceptances so early. Now if I get 8 rejections in a row, I won't be so sad!

Twin Cities is awesome. All the cultural perks of a big city but with plenty of Minnesota-nice to keep things friendly. Great public transportation, great restaurants, great football. The campus itself is gorgeous and relatively easy to navigate. Hmm . . . maybe I'll go on Visitation Day after all . . . (I'm from L.A., so the cost of living is way LESS than what I'm used to . . .)

From what I've researched, Minnesota is more 'rhetoric' and Syracuse is more 'composition.' I'd love to pursue a dissertation in the rhetoric of science, so Minnesota's program is obviously better suited for that. However, Syracuse has a new prof who does work in transnational writing practices, which I'd also love to pursue. Syracuse's program is housed in the writing center and its SOLE focus is the PhD program. On one hand, that means an excellent student/faculty ratio and a small, tight community of scholars; on the other hand, it means I won't really get training in how to navigate the kind of complex department politics I'll likely confront in the future. So we'll see . . . What are your research interests? Who is your advisor at Minnesota? Is Minnesota one of your top choices? It's one of mine for sure. Glad we got the acceptances so early. Now if I get 8 rejections in a row, I won't be so sad!

Minnesota is definitely one of my top choices (though I do have 10 more schools to hear from--granted, not all the same tier)!

I'm from the South, so anything is expensive in comparison... And thanks for the info. about Syracuse. I nearly applied there and have been curious about it.

My research interests are animals and people who eat or don't eat them and who talk about such things offline and on. Ha I'm tired and have no energy for eloquence tonight. As far as the advisor is concerned, I'd rather PM about details... because... this is the Internet. :)

Someone posted an accept for lit. Out with you!

Hello! I'm the one who posted an accept. I got an email, though I was on the phone at the time so they may have tried to call me first...

What do you want to know?

Edited by wrader

Oo, there's another one. Looks like they are notifying fellowship recipients. Hopefully all the other admits are on their way...

It's meeee! I'm only a fellowship nominee right now, but they are "committed to admitting me and providing me with support" regardless of whether I get the fellowship. So happy! I can't believe what a difference a year has made.

EDIT: Email was from the DGS. Good luck to everyone else!

Edited by the once and future grad

It's meeee! I'm only a fellowship nominee right now, but they are "committed to admitting me and providing me with support" regardless of whether I get the fellowship. So happy! I can't believe what a difference a year has made.

EDIT: Email was from the DGS. Good luck to everyone else!

Congrats! What's your area?

Congrats! What's your area?

Thanks Woolfie! I'm interested in intersections between medieval (Arthurian) lit and British Modernism, especially as it relates to modern nationalism and national identities. My proposed project involves T.H. White, Virginia Woolf, and Goeffrey of Monmouth (it's a little crazy).

Thanks Woolfie! I'm interested in intersections between medieval (Arthurian) lit and British Modernism, especially as it relates to modern nationalism and national identities. My proposed project involves T.H. White, Virginia Woolf, and Goeffrey of Monmouth (it's a little crazy).

That sounds really interesting!