Sumire11 Posted April 4 Posted April 4 19 hours ago, gafoo said: After months of rejections, interviews, waitlists, acceptances at unfunded programs, and acceptances-but-on-funding-waitlists, I finally have my first fully-funded acceptance of the cycle, at a program I love deeply—U Montana CNF!!! I feel like my body and mind and soul are relaxing for the first time since I submitted my applications. Wishing everyone else luck as we go through these last couple weeks of purgatory. Saw your entry in the spreadsheet. Really happy for you. Congrats! gafoo 1
gafoo Posted April 4 Posted April 4 7 hours ago, Sumire11 said: Saw your entry in the spreadsheet. Really happy for you. Congrats! Thank you!! :')
arghgradapps Posted April 4 Posted April 4 does anyone know anything about the washu waitlist or state of the cohort 😕 bioluminescent sloth 1
meanwhile Posted April 4 Posted April 4 while i am still choosing to be delusional and hold onto hope that i'll get in off the waitlist april 15th, i wanted to ask about y'alls' experience with applying to the same school twice (and if it has worked out for you). i am in the top spot of the waitlist for a program i definitely plan on applying for next cycle if it doesn't work out, but already i am having anxiety about "one-upping" myself next time and having being in this position this year actually be a disadvantage. writing sample-wise (poetry-specific), i do plan on using a few of my same poems (because i like them, they got me this far, and they're the kind of work i want to do in the program), but is this ill-advised? welcoming any and all thoughts about the writing sample: take two. regarding the SOP, do you touch on that if it's round two (and, if so, how to bring that up in a way that doesn't feel like attaching the eric andre let me in.jpeg)? basically, it's making me a little crazy to think that next year, my writing sample could be the exact same and with a few other factors outside of my control be different from this year, i could be accepted, but if i come back and apply without showing enough growth since this year, that it'll put me further down the list because of that. does that make sense? lusitania_unsunk, madsmadsmads and dyedviolet 2 1
Sumire11 Posted April 5 Posted April 5 (edited) 10 hours ago, meanwhile said: while i am still choosing to be delusional and hold onto hope that i'll get in off the waitlist april 15th, i wanted to ask about y'alls' experience with applying to the same school twice (and if it has worked out for you). i am in the top spot of the waitlist for a program i definitely plan on applying for next cycle if it doesn't work out, but already i am having anxiety about "one-upping" myself next time and having being in this position this year actually be a disadvantage. writing sample-wise (poetry-specific), i do plan on using a few of my same poems (because i like them, they got me this far, and they're the kind of work i want to do in the program), but is this ill-advised? welcoming any and all thoughts about the writing sample: take two. regarding the SOP, do you touch on that if it's round two (and, if so, how to bring that up in a way that doesn't feel like attaching the eric andre let me in.jpeg)? basically, it's making me a little crazy to think that next year, my writing sample could be the exact same and with a few other factors outside of my control be different from this year, i could be accepted, but if i come back and apply without showing enough growth since this year, that it'll put me further down the list because of that. does that make sense? First year, only WLed at Arkansas. Second year, nada. This year, WLed at Arkansas and three other places (including a super competitive reach school). For Arkansas, I used the same sample but heavily modified. I think I am higher up on the list this time, but the process can be pretty random so. For the SoP, I refrained from mentioning that I was repeatedly applying here, just mentioned that this was my third go around. Edited April 5 by Sumire11 SocialKonstruct and meanwhile 1 1
gafoo Posted April 5 Posted April 5 Curious for everyone's thoughts/take on how you'd weigh the following options, all else being equal: 2-year program with a 1:1 teaching load or 3-year program with a 2:2 teaching load. Do you feel like the energy required to manage a 2:2 teaching load cancels out the benefits people talk about getting from a 3rd year of writing time vs. a 2-year program?
labmate Posted April 5 Posted April 5 Would appreciate thoughts on the following: I got waitlisted for a program in early March. I followed up with a few emails back and forth to express my thanks and ask some questions about the program. I then sent a letter of continued interest via email on 03/31. I'm still waiting to hear a final decision, and I know that it may not come until very near or on the deadline. My question is when it feels appropriate to send one more email. A part of me thinks maybe on 04/08, a week from the deadline, but perhaps 04/10 or 04/11 is better? I realize that I'm probably overthinking this a bit, but I want to be consistent and persistent with the program to show them that I'm serious and would accept in a heartbeat without being annoying. bucket and mouthfullofmercury 2
ojo534 Posted April 5 Posted April 5 32 minutes ago, labmate said: Would appreciate thoughts on the following: I got waitlisted for a program in early March. I followed up with a few emails back and forth to express my thanks and ask some questions about the program. I then sent a letter of continued interest via email on 03/31. I'm still waiting to hear a final decision, and I know that it may not come until very near or on the deadline. My question is when it feels appropriate to send one more email. A part of me thinks maybe on 04/08, a week from the deadline, but perhaps 04/10 or 04/11 is better? I realize that I'm probably overthinking this a bit, but I want to be consistent and persistent with the program to show them that I'm serious and would accept in a heartbeat without being annoying. Quoting this because I am in the same boat!! Is there such thing as showing too much interest? Hopefully someone can chime in here w/ good advice mouthfullofmercury and bucket 2
arghgradapps Posted April 5 Posted April 5 3 minutes ago, ojo534 said: Quoting this because I am in the same boat!! Is there such thing as showing too much interest? Hopefully someone can chime in here w/ good advice i don't have advice but i'm planning on doing my follow-up on 4/08. bucket 1
ojo534 Posted April 5 Posted April 5 54 minutes ago, gafoo said: Curious for everyone's thoughts/take on how you'd weigh the following options, all else being equal: 2-year program with a 1:1 teaching load or 3-year program with a 2:2 teaching load. Do you feel like the energy required to manage a 2:2 teaching load cancels out the benefits people talk about getting from a 3rd year of writing time vs. a 2-year program? I think it comes down to how you view the teaching assistantship: are you excited about the idea of teaching or are you just planning to do it b/c that's what a program requires for full funding? Because if you feel really passionately about teaching, I don't think the 2:2 teaching load is still too much when weighed next to a 3 year program. But if you are not looking forward to teaching, then maybe the 1:1 teaching load during a 2 year program (which gives you more writing time per semester) would be best for you Of course, this is just my opinion as both someone applying first round and someone who is currently finishing up her master's in education. A 2:2 teaching load would be super exciting for me! But objectively, I think that additional year in the mfa program makes up for any "lost" writing time during the semesters, time you'll be spending prepping and teaching gafoo 1
labmate Posted April 5 Posted April 5 8 minutes ago, arghgradapps said: i don't have advice but i'm planning on doing my follow-up on 4/08. Sounds like you and I were on the same wavelength. I'm curious to ask the last time you sent an email along. arghgradapps 1
arghgradapps Posted April 5 Posted April 5 1 minute ago, labmate said: Sounds like you and I were on the same wavelength. I'm curious to ask the last time you sent an email along. WL'd originally in late Feb and expressed that it's my top choice, emailed approx. 2 weeks ago to check in about movement but stressed at the end of the email that they could wait until later to respond and they haven't responded lol, so i guess the 4/08 email will be a follow-up to that one. i don't want to be a bother but i have other programs who putting some light pressure on me to make a decision, which i totally understand, and want to be able to communicate honestly to all parties involved.
labmate Posted April 5 Posted April 5 17 minutes ago, arghgradapps said: WL'd originally in late Feb and expressed that it's my top choice, emailed approx. 2 weeks ago to check in about movement but stressed at the end of the email that they could wait until later to respond and they haven't responded lol, so i guess the 4/08 email will be a follow-up to that one. i don't want to be a bother but i have other programs who putting some light pressure on me to make a decision, which i totally understand, and want to be able to communicate honestly to all parties involved. Thanks for sharing. Best of luck with how everything shakes out.
arghgradapps Posted April 5 Posted April 5 12 minutes ago, labmate said: Thanks for sharing. Best of luck with how everything shakes out. thank you, you too!
gafoo Posted April 6 Posted April 6 6 hours ago, jka0124 said: Aaaaand here's where I go on and on about teaching lol. But first, I'm usually a big proponent of 3-year programs because I feel starting to focus on your thesis the summer of your first year feels so soon. That said, my answer would depend on a few things: 1) Would you be teaching composition or creative writing? 2) Does either program offer a pedagogy course, or do you only get a few weeks of training? 3) Do you create the syllabus completely or teach from a required template? 4) How much guidance is offered? Do cohorts share their canvas shells and assignment handouts? I just sent the entire English grad dept my intermediate composition course shell, for example. If my classmates wanted to, they only have to change my name and info for theirs; the course already has assignments, discussion boards, and all the texts built in. A few random thoughts: Teaching can be a little easier if you're a white dude. (Not that I'm assuming you're a white dude, I'm just saying.) I'm sure someone will protest, but the fact is that a white male-presenting person fits the ingrained idea of what a college professor looks like and has an easier time gaining authority. Teaching 2:2 isn't necessarily harder; you're teaching the same class, so it's just a matter of the extra class time + more grading. Of course, this depends on your own time, energy, etc. As a disabled person, I didn't have the energy or consistent health to do 2:2 + my own classes + a part-time job. Everyone is different, obviously. That said, whether you teach 1:1 or 2:2, don't spend more time teaching than you do anything else. Put it right in your syllabus that you don't answer emails after 6:00 PM or on weekends. Set up a Calendly so students can book their own appointments during/outside of office hours. Students can't focus on more than three suggestions per feedback, so don't bust your butt writing long feedback or doing line-by-line corrections. My feedback consists of a letter with three good things, three suggestions for revision, and asking them to meet with me if they want more specific feedback. Also consider contract grading. A lot of the "students won't be used to it" criticism is outdated. I find it works really well in writing classes as it allows students to take risks and focus on the work of improving writing, versus trying to get an A. Finally, a bit woo woo, but start your class by doing a check-in and asking students how things are going—even in other classes. It's such a little thing, but it helps build a bond that goes a long way in the classroom. And that's my random-ass teaching ramble lol. These questions are awesome and exactly what I need to remember to ask the students/directors as I talk to them in these final weeks! I honestly love the idea of teaching, and I do sort of imagine that a 2:2 load gets progressively easier as time goes on (in the 3rd year, I'd be more confident and prepared than I am as a first-year doing it for the first time?). Re: two years vs. three years... totally. It's funny because when I began my mfa search I was convinced I only wanted to do two years—two years away from the city I love, from my somewhat gainful full-time career, etc.—but the more I think about it, the more I wonder if I'll regret not having had that third year. Another thing for me to talk with students at both programs about! All of these general teaching tips are amazing and I'm saving these to my notes Thank you!
cutblueberry Posted April 6 Posted April 6 Just turned down CNF offers from UNLV, Alabama, and Arizona. Rejected Idaho, Western Washington, and Utah last week. Good luck everyone! Busybeez, gafoo and jka0124 3
gafoo Posted April 6 Posted April 6 (edited) 1 hour ago, cutblueberry said: Just turned down CNF offers from UNLV, Alabama, and Arizona. Rejected Idaho, Western Washington, and Utah last week. Good luck everyone! Congrats on your incredible cycle omg... and thanks for opening up that Idaho spot for me lol! Out of curiosity, if you're comfortable, where'd you end up accepting? Edited April 6 by gafoo
cutblueberry Posted April 6 Posted April 6 5 minutes ago, gafoo said: Congrats on your incredible cycle omg... and thanks for opening up that Idaho spot for me lol! Out of curiosity, if you're comfortable, where'd you end up accepting? Thank you! I’m glad you got that spot. I’m still deciding, but will keep folks updated when I let go of other schools. Ever hopeful, gafoo and Busybeez 2 1
CapybaraLit Posted April 6 Posted April 6 Welp. I just received a rejection from UMiami MFA program for poetry. 😢
arghgradapps Posted April 6 Posted April 6 struggling to wait until 4/08 to reach out to my WLs....should i email now🥲
precociousreader Posted April 6 Posted April 6 yale rejection official. at least that bandaid is gone. sad but not surprised (no interview) tis what it tis. there's always next cycle! oh the woes of a playwright
Busybeez Posted April 6 Posted April 6 4 hours ago, cutblueberry said: Just turned down CNF offers from UNLV, Alabama, and Arizona. Rejected Idaho, Western Washington, and Utah last week. Good luck everyone! Thanks for the update. Congrats on your cycle! You are the GOAT of 2026 cnf and we cant wait to read your work someday. let us know where you end up. cutblueberry, gafoo and cantoras 2 1
roomservice Posted April 6 Posted April 6 Kinda crazy I still haven't heard from two schools? I'm sure both rejections, and I'm good with my plan for next year, but anyone still waiting on UC Irvine for poetry and Notre Dame as well?
Busybeez Posted April 6 Posted April 6 5 minutes ago, roomservice said: Kinda crazy I still haven't heard from two schools? I'm sure both rejections, and I'm good with my plan for next year, but anyone still waiting on UC Irvine for poetry and Notre Dame as well? Yes - also have not heard from Notre Dame. Assumed rejection. But we all paid a fee and deserve timely response as a courtesy! Ever hopeful, JamesJames, Emblazonries and 4 others 3 4
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now