strawberrymatcha Posted February 24 Posted February 24 34 minutes ago, Hmax said: I'm going crazy with how slow this week has been so far I feel thisπ΅βπ« itβs been way too quiet ocurlyfries, womanonline and meanwhile 3
womanonline Posted February 24 Posted February 24 Jesus Christ, miffy in the spreadsheet strikes again. And RIP Oregon State waitlist for me π Genuine question β at what point do I face reality that I donβt think this will be my cycle? Iβm being told a lot of βdonβt give up hope!β But Iβm worried that will make it worse when the inevitable happens. Having my life on hold like this for the Maybe of one of these schools accepting me when Iβve already got three rejections and four soft rejections is starting to feel worse than βgiving up.β I guess Iβm looking at it less as giving up and more as getting back to my life. Watching the Draft and waiting for emails feels like Iβve entered a different reality and my life is going on without me LOL. I really do think Iβll have to try again next time, and I feel like the donβt give up hope stuff is holding me back. I feel like itβs less about hope at this point and more about practicality. Itβs sad and disappointing for sure, but I wouldβve felt those feelings at some point anyways. I donβt know. I know that you wonβt know until you know, but I feel like I really do know based on all of the evidence. Maybe Iβm talking in circles BowelMovement, molemola, bucket and 7 others 9 1
ocurlyfries Posted February 24 Posted February 24 (edited) 10 minutes ago, womanonline said: Jesus Christ, miffy in the spreadsheet strikes again. And RIP Oregon State waitlist for me π Genuine question β at what point do I face reality that I donβt think this will be my cycle? Iβm being told a lot of βdonβt give up hope!β But Iβm worried that will make it worse when the inevitable happens. Having my life on hold like this for the Maybe of one of these schools accepting me when Iβve already got three rejections and four soft rejections is starting to feel worse than βgiving up.β I guess Iβm looking at it less as giving up and more as getting back to my life. Watching the Draft and waiting for emails feels like Iβve entered a different reality and my life is going on without me LOL. I really do think Iβll have to try again next time, and I feel like the donβt give up hope stuff is holding me back. I feel like itβs less about hope at this point and more about practicality. Itβs sad and disappointing for sure, but I wouldβve felt those feelings at some point anyways. I donβt know. I know that you wonβt know until you know, but I feel like I really do know based on all of the evidence. Maybe Iβm talking in circles miffy if you're out there...I wish I were you Β Also literally same. I genuinely do not think I have a shot this round. Five rejections, four soft rejections, and barely any hope left. Edited February 24 by ocurlyfries n marsmentality, bucket and womanonline 2 1
Jitterbug98 Posted February 24 Posted February 24 3 minutes ago, womanonline said: Jesus Christ, miffy in the spreadsheet strikes again. And RIP Oregon State waitlist for me π Genuine question β at what point do I face reality that I donβt think this will be my cycle? Iβm being told a lot of βdonβt give up hope!β But Iβm worried that will make it worse when the inevitable happens. Having my life on hold like this for the Maybe of one of these schools accepting me when Iβve already got three rejections and four soft rejections is starting to feel worse than βgiving up.β I guess Iβm looking at it less as giving up and more as getting back to my life. Watching the Draft and waiting for emails feels like Iβve entered a different reality and my life is going on without me LOL. I really do think Iβll have to try again next time, and I feel like the donβt give up hope stuff is holding me back. I feel like itβs less about hope at this point and more about practicality. Itβs sad and disappointing for sure, but I wouldβve felt those feelings at some point anyways. I donβt know. I know that you wonβt know until you know, but I feel like I really do know based on all of the evidence. Maybe Iβm talking in circles I definitely feel you there. My approach is usually to go in with the expectation that I wonβt get in, and if I do itβs a really nice surprise! I do think that M.F.A. admissions can be very fickle so thereβs always a chance of things changing even if youβve had only reactions so far. You never know, you could have been super close to making the waitlist for your rejectionsβ most schools donβt really do tiered rejections, so thereβs no way of knowing how close we got. Iβve gotten only rejections from all the βtopβ schools like Iowa, Michigan, and Michener this year and last. Even got the form rejection from Iowa last year when plenty of people got a tiered one as they are one of the only schools that does that. But I got a fully funded offer from a less known program this yearβ so even though I havenβt had success with the big names, my work is clearly still resonating with someone, and Iβm sure yours is too! But I totally understand managing expectationsβ like after the track record Iβve had so far with the big names, I am very much not getting my hopes up about getting into Brown or Syracuse this year. If I do, it will be a very exciting surprise! Β strawberrymatcha, MamaCats, meanwhile and 1 other 4
strawberrymatcha Posted February 24 Posted February 24 (edited) 17 minutes ago, womanonline said: Jesus Christ, miffy in the spreadsheet strikes again. And RIP Oregon State waitlist for me π Genuine question β at what point do I face reality that I donβt think this will be my cycle? Iβm being told a lot of βdonβt give up hope!β But Iβm worried that will make it worse when the inevitable happens. Having my life on hold like this for the Maybe of one of these schools accepting me when Iβve already got three rejections and four soft rejections is starting to feel worse than βgiving up.β I guess Iβm looking at it less as giving up and more as getting back to my life. Watching the Draft and waiting for emails feels like Iβve entered a different reality and my life is going on without me LOL. I really do think Iβll have to try again next time, and I feel like the donβt give up hope stuff is holding me back. I feel like itβs less about hope at this point and more about practicality. Itβs sad and disappointing for sure, but I wouldβve felt those feelings at some point anyways. I donβt know. I know that you wonβt know until you know, but I feel like I really do know based on all of the evidence. Maybe Iβm talking in circles this is such a mood, the hope is helpful in some ways but also makes the whole process hurt a lot more? honestly itβs not a perfect solution, but I put time limits on the forums/spreadsheet etc because my screen time was actually getting ridiculous and I felt like I wasnβt really living life because I was just waiting? (so at least now I can only physically spend 30 mins checkingβ¦) itβs also been helpful to start looking at other applications (jobs, lit mags, etc). I donβt think it means we have to give up hope entirely, last year I knew someone who got rejected everywhere then got into their dream school late march. but itβs also good to have other things to be excited about! (and Iβm sorry if this came off as preachy at all, Iβve just been thinking about it a lot lately because of my own brain shenanigans haha) Edited February 24 by strawberrymatcha meanwhile and womanonline 2
precociousreader Posted February 24 Posted February 24 first yale playwriting interview request just got added to the draft....let the nightmare waiting period begin...π΅βπ«
marsmentality Posted February 24 Posted February 24 (edited) 20 minutes ago, womanonline said: Jesus Christ, miffy in the spreadsheet strikes again. And RIP Oregon State waitlist for me π Genuine question β at what point do I face reality that I donβt think this will be my cycle? Iβm being told a lot of βdonβt give up hope!β But Iβm worried that will make it worse when the inevitable happens. Having my life on hold like this for the Maybe of one of these schools accepting me when Iβve already got three rejections and four soft rejections is starting to feel worse than βgiving up.β I guess Iβm looking at it less as giving up and more as getting back to my life. Watching the Draft and waiting for emails feels like Iβve entered a different reality and my life is going on without me LOL. I really do think Iβll have to try again next time, and I feel like the donβt give up hope stuff is holding me back. I feel like itβs less about hope at this point and more about practicality. Itβs sad and disappointing for sure, but I wouldβve felt those feelings at some point anyways. I donβt know. I know that you wonβt know until you know, but I feel like I really do know based on all of the evidence. Maybe Iβm talking in circles I think I kind of went into all of this with a bigger ego than I should've. In my defense, I had never considered the possibility that my writing wasn't at its best because no one had ever told me that it wasn't. Everyone around me sings my praises whenever I let them read something of mine. I've never felt like I've had competition. I got an English degree from a state school and I was at the top of my class there as well. I knew it would be hard to get into any of the schools I applied to (all fully funded, low acceptance rates, etc), but I didn't expect rejections from all of them. I don't have anyone to peer review with. I don't have anyone around me who will give me genuine critique beyond "this is great!" It's a huge part of the reason why I even want an MFA. Now I'm looking at 3 rejections, and crickets from Iowa and the University of Oregon. I am not expecting that either of these institutions will want me in their programs. This fact has ripped through every shred of my self-esteem and left me with nothing. I'm 26. I know I'm young, I know I have time. But I can't wait another entire year to see if I potentially got in. I want to be a part of the things everyone else is a part of. I want to be taken seriously as a writer. I want to get better in my craft. It feels like there's a chance someone needs to take on me that isn't happening right now, and I don't know if/when it will.Β All of this to say, you're not alone. I have no idea what I'm going to do now besides get started on my apps for next year and try to pretend like I'm not absolutely miserable. Hopefully someone will send me some good news to change that.Β Edited February 24 by marsmentality womanonline, ocurlyfries, BowelMovement and 1 other 4
impatientjoy Posted February 24 Posted February 24 Any acceptance is sooo exciting and still my brain desperately wants a phone call acceptance!! would love for the unknown number to be someone with wonderful news instead of someone trying to sell me new insurance!!!Β TPike, bucket, womanonline and 3 others 4 2
commandercowboy Posted February 24 Posted February 24 1 hour ago, lisichka said: I hate that there's no poetry acceptance data on the spreadsheets for NC StateΒ πΒ so mysterious I am LOSINGGG my mindπ have listened to nothing but Old Crow Medicine Showβs Wagon Wheel today & drank a Cheerwine to manifest. (NC is my home stateβ¦ miss it like crazy NCSU pleaaaase call me) impatientjoy, meanwhile and lisichka 3
Jitterbug98 Posted February 24 Posted February 24 9 minutes ago, Jitterbug98 said: I definitely feel you there. My approach is usually to go in with the expectation that I wonβt get in, and if I do itβs a really nice surprise! I do think that M.F.A. admissions can be very fickle so thereβs always a chance of things changing even if youβve had only reactions so far. You never know, you could have been super close to making the waitlist for your rejectionsβ most schools donβt really do tiered rejections, so thereβs no way of knowing how close we got. Iβve gotten only rejections from all the βtopβ schools like Iowa, Michigan, and Michener this year and last. Even got the form rejection from Iowa last year when plenty of people got a tiered one as they are one of the only schools that does that. But I got a fully funded offer from a less known program this yearβ so even though I havenβt had success with the big names, my work is clearly still resonating with someone, and Iβm sure yours is too! But I totally understand managing expectationsβ like after the track record Iβve had so far with the big names, I am very much not getting my hopes up about getting into Brown or Syracuse this year. If I do, it will be a very exciting surprise! Β Also for people who do end up applying again, I encourage applying to some of those less known programs, or programs that arenβt entirely fully funded but do fund some people! Itβs easy to get caught up in wanting to apply to the most prestigious places, especially your first round, but there are a lot of other great programs out there. Off the top of my head for places that fund some of the cohort: stony brook, temple, university of Kentucky, northern Arizona university, George Mason, NYU (although getting full funding at NYU seems to be just as hard as getting into Michigan/Iowa lol). Iβm sure there are plenty of othersΒ hermione granger 1
meanwhile Posted February 24 Posted February 24 14 minutes ago, womanonline said: Jesus Christ, miffy in the spreadsheet strikes again. And RIP Oregon State waitlist for me π Genuine question β at what point do I face reality that I donβt think this will be my cycle? Iβm being told a lot of βdonβt give up hope!β But Iβm worried that will make it worse when the inevitable happens. Having my life on hold like this for the Maybe of one of these schools accepting me when Iβve already got three rejections and four soft rejections is starting to feel worse than βgiving up.β I guess Iβm looking at it less as giving up and more as getting back to my life. Watching the Draft and waiting for emails feels like Iβve entered a different reality and my life is going on without me LOL. I really do think Iβll have to try again next time, and I feel like the donβt give up hope stuff is holding me back. I feel like itβs less about hope at this point and more about practicality. Itβs sad and disappointing for sure, but I wouldβve felt those feelings at some point anyways. I donβt know. I know that you wonβt know until you know, but I feel like I really do know based on all of the evidence. Maybe Iβm talking in circles womanonline, same.Β this was my first cycle and i've learned so much. i've been focusing on that there a number of schools i couldn't apply to this year (for various reasons: some not taking poetry apps this year, not having the time to complete every app, the financial costs of this process, etc) that i can try for next year. so, there's still potential in new places! and to take everything i've learned from this and apply it next time, that the cycle doesn't end with this cycle; it's a continuous. not sure if that's applicable to you, but i hope it provides something! i'm pretty much at the point of assuming and planning for the worst but hoping for the best. pre-grieving def made getting the official mississippi rejection easier for me. sure it stung when i got it, but mourning the loss ahead of time and on my own terms, that provided a sense of control during a process that is so very much out of our hands.Β i guess all that to say: maybe don't give up hope, but try letting go of it for a while. having it around but at a kind of distance has been a bit freeing, for me, at least. wishing you all the best β€οΈΒ
gupppy Posted February 24 Posted February 24 6 minutes ago, marsmentality said: I think I kind of went into all of this with a bigger ego than I should've. In my defense, I had never considered the possibility that my writing wasn't at its best because no one had ever told me that it wasn't. Everyone around me sings my praises whenever I let them read something of mine. I've never felt like I've had competition. I got an English degree from a state school and I was at the top of my class there as well. I knew it would be hard to get into any of the schools I applied to (all fully funded, low acceptance rates, etc), but I didn't expect rejections from all of them. I don't have anyone to peer review with. I don't have anyone around me who will give me genuine critique beyond "this is great!" It's a huge part of the reason why I even want an MFA. Now I'm looking at 3 rejections, and crickets from Iowa and the University of Oregon. I am not expecting that either of these institutions will want me in their programs. This fact has ripped through every shred of my self-esteem and left me with nothing. I'm 26. I know I'm young, I know I have time. But I can't wait another entire year to see if I potentially got in. I want to be a part of the things everyone else is a part of. I want to be taken seriously as a writer. I want to get better in my craft. It feels like there's a chance someone needs to take on me that isn't happening right now, and I don't know if/when it will.Β All of this to say, you're not alone. I have no idea what I'm going to do now besides get started on my apps for next year and try to pretend like I'm not absolutely miserable. Hopefully someone will send me some good news to change that.Β I really recommend attending a workshop! I went to Tin House's (now McCormick's) workshop this winter and received so much of what I went into MFA apps desiring (and what it sounds like you might be desiring): a community of writers, useful feedback on my writing, mentorship, connections with agents/editors, suddenly feeling "part of" a literary world. Really, really changed the game for me and now I feel worlds more prepared to attend a program this fall.Β small-spiral-lines, martysupreme and marsmentality 3
j1nju Posted February 24 Posted February 24 Just got an email inviting me to American University's accepted students' day. Does... that... mean... I'm admitted?Β The email says "Congratulations on your admissions to the College of Arts and Sciences" rightΒ at the top but the portal has no updates. I am hoping this is not a glitch bc that would very cruel!!! small-spiral-lines 1
Ogwick Posted February 24 Posted February 24 29 minutes ago, womanonline said: Jesus Christ, miffy in the spreadsheet strikes again. And RIP Oregon State waitlist for me π Genuine question β at what point do I face reality that I donβt think this will be my cycle? Iβm being told a lot of βdonβt give up hope!β But Iβm worried that will make it worse when the inevitable happens. Having my life on hold like this for the Maybe of one of these schools accepting me when Iβve already got three rejections and four soft rejections is starting to feel worse than βgiving up.β I guess Iβm looking at it less as giving up and more as getting back to my life. Watching the Draft and waiting for emails feels like Iβve entered a different reality and my life is going on without me LOL. I really do think Iβll have to try again next time, and I feel like the donβt give up hope stuff is holding me back. I feel like itβs less about hope at this point and more about practicality. Itβs sad and disappointing for sure, but I wouldβve felt those feelings at some point anyways. I donβt know. I know that you wonβt know until you know, but I feel like I really do know based on all of the evidence. Maybe Iβm talking in circles This is a perfect post for me to ask this question. Iβve lived a life as an entrepreneur and when I see great mis-matches in demand / supply there usually is an opportunity to help the βmarketβ specially Iβm talking about the need for creative writers to get funding and support for their work historically this has come from Universities - but for several reasons (at least in the USA) you should assume 1/2 of liberal arts programs are gone in 10 years and all of the teaching jobs that go with itΒ net - there needs to be a new funding and support system (fast and easy) outside the academic system (in support of it - not to replace the university - but the few remaining wonβt be able to satisfy the demand from students / teachers) proposal / a system is set up where each author is given their own IDSN number and Crypto token (Solana based?) for the public to contribute $1 or $10 (their choice) to support these authors money transfers via low cost Solana crypto network tax and hassle free (or others - Iβm Solana biased from research Iβve done) think of it as the 21st century crypto system for the public to support the art community directlyΒ this would have to be a free / charitable foundation approach. Not for profit (no βfeesβ taken etc) Β thoughts?! Sumire11 1
Jitterbug98 Posted February 24 Posted February 24 4 minutes ago, j1nju said: Just got an email inviting me to American University's accepted students' day. Does... that... mean... I'm admitted?Β The email says "Congratulations on your admissions to the College of Arts and Sciences" rightΒ at the top but the portal has no updates. I am hoping this is not a glitch bc that would very cruel!!! Hard to say for sure but I bet youβre in! j1nju 1
Layla07 Posted February 24 Posted February 24 I only have two programs left (NWP at Iowa, and USF Non fiction). I haven't gotten a yes/waitlist yet, but I also haven't gotten a rejection. Is it time that I just call it quits and know that I will get a rejection within the next two weeks?
Sumire11 Posted February 24 Posted February 24 36 minutes ago, womanonline said: Jesus Christ, miffy in the spreadsheet strikes again. And RIP Oregon State waitlist for me π Genuine question β at what point do I face reality that I donβt think this will be my cycle? Iβm being told a lot of βdonβt give up hope!β But Iβm worried that will make it worse when the inevitable happens. Having my life on hold like this for the Maybe of one of these schools accepting me when Iβve already got three rejections and four soft rejections is starting to feel worse than βgiving up.β I guess Iβm looking at it less as giving up and more as getting back to my life. Watching the Draft and waiting for emails feels like Iβve entered a different reality and my life is going on without me LOL. I really do think Iβll have to try again next time, and I feel like the donβt give up hope stuff is holding me back. I feel like itβs less about hope at this point and more about practicality. Itβs sad and disappointing for sure, but I wouldβve felt those feelings at some point anyways. I donβt know. I know that you wonβt know until you know, but I feel like I really do know based on all of the evidence. Maybe Iβm talking in circles This is my third year applying. First year, five rejections with a waitlist that didn't pan out. Second year: crickets. This year, while I'm already drowning in rejections, I have one waitlist and a phase 2 in play that just might turn into something. I understand why people say it's not over until it's over. At the same time, I understand how draining hope can be: as someone who has had one thing go wrong after the other, sometimes, distance is the only way to go.Β I do hope you get in somewhere. If not, for the next cycle, I wish you better luck. In the meantime, if you have writer friends, talk to them and if you can, apply to online workshops (one of the only reasons I was able to apply again is because of a supportive workshop). At the same time, if you feel the need to take a break from writing, do that. If you want to continue, do that. You only lose your shot at being a writer if you stop, sure, but taking a hiatus never killed anybody.Β I hope you get in somewhere.Β PS: This is for anyone who is feeling super shitty. The quote feature is bugging out on me.Β j1nju 1
Theodosia Posted February 24 Posted February 24 (edited) 1 hour ago, womanonline said: Jesus Christ, miffy in the spreadsheet strikes again. And RIP Oregon State waitlist for me π Genuine question β at what point do I face reality that I donβt think this will be my cycle? Iβm being told a lot of βdonβt give up hope!β But Iβm worried that will make it worse when the inevitable happens. Having my life on hold like this for the Maybe of one of these schools accepting me when Iβve already got three rejections and four soft rejections is starting to feel worse than βgiving up.β I guess Iβm looking at it less as giving up and more as getting back to my life. Watching the Draft and waiting for emails feels like Iβve entered a different reality and my life is going on without me LOL. I really do think Iβll have to try again next time, and I feel like the donβt give up hope stuff is holding me back. I feel like itβs less about hope at this point and more about practicality. Itβs sad and disappointing for sure, but I wouldβve felt those feelings at some point anyways. I donβt know. I know that you wonβt know until you know, but I feel like I really do know based on all of the evidence. Maybe Iβm talking in circles I only applied to Iowa this year, so I am definitely not going to be at an MFA program in the autumn. While this is devastating to recognize, it's helped me to begin planning my year now. I have an interview with a local bookstore next week and began working on my writing sample for the next application cycle yesterday. Having another year to build up savings is actually a blessing in disguise, despite how much it hurts to know that it will be more than a year before I begin a program -- assuming I get in somewhere next year, that is! It's also helped to hold both truths: I hope that I get into Iowa, and I will likely not be getting in. Allowing room in my headspace for both, instead of relying on absolutes, has been horrid for my anxiety but incredibly good for my ability to move forward. Right now, your brain is grasping for absolutes that simply do not exist in this process, as awful as that is. Recognizing that there aren't any, and finding something to be excited for either outcome is crucial.Β Edited February 24 by Theodosia vilum, womanonline and Sumire11 3
hermione granger Posted February 24 Posted February 24 why is everything so slow this month i have developed the nervous system of a hunger games contestant greenleaf, vilum, meanwhile and 1 other 2 2
Ogwick Posted February 24 Posted February 24 βRightΒ now, your brain is grasping for absolutes that simply do not exist in this process, as awful as that is. Sometimes recognizing that there aren't any, and finding something to be excited for either way is crucial.β You would make a good Philosopher @Theodosia! And a good explanation for SchrΓΆdingerβs Cat SocialKonstruct and Theodosia 1 1
greenleaf Posted February 24 Posted February 24 53 minutes ago, marsmentality said: I think I kind of went into all of this with a bigger ego than I should've. In my defense, I had never considered the possibility that my writing wasn't at its best because no one had ever told me that it wasn't. Everyone around me sings my praises whenever I let them read something of mine. I've never felt like I've had competition. I got an English degree from a state school and I was at the top of my class there as well. I knew it would be hard to get into any of the schools I applied to (all fully funded, low acceptance rates, etc), but I didn't expect rejections from all of them. I don't have anyone to peer review with. I don't have anyone around me who will give me genuine critique beyond "this is great!" It's a huge part of the reason why I even want an MFA. Now I'm looking at 3 rejections, and crickets from Iowa and the University of Oregon. I am not expecting that either of these institutions will want me in their programs. This fact has ripped through every shred of my self-esteem and left me with nothing. I'm 26. I know I'm young, I know I have time. But I can't wait another entire year to see if I potentially got in. I want to be a part of the things everyone else is a part of. I want to be taken seriously as a writer. I want to get better in my craft. It feels like there's a chance someone needs to take on me that isn't happening right now, and I don't know if/when it will.Β All of this to say, you're not alone. I have no idea what I'm going to do now besides get started on my apps for next year and try to pretend like I'm not absolutely miserable. Hopefully someone will send me some good news to change that.Β i really relate to this. 25, state school star, was allowed into the grad poetry workshop where i was told i was a shoe-in for MFAs. feeling top-of-the-game and being in the rejection and waiting wormhole has really skewed my perception of myself as a writer and my confidence about getting into the writing world that it seems the MFA offers, and no one in my support system really gets it. i don't feel the energy to write right now and i feel like even applying to residencies isn't worth continuing this feeling. I know it's worth trying again and again and i appreciate this community and knowing that folks can and do get into programs on the second and third try. i really, desperately want connections with writers who will treat my work with measured care and attention and honesty and that is what i have to sustain myself through this purgatorial search. i also felt the need to apply to a couple of jobs to have something else to look forward to and got interviews now i'm worried i'll hear back from them before the rest of my MFAs and have to make an unsavory decision, but hey, the things we do to deal with the intensity of this application cycle marsmentality 1
nonsense Posted February 24 Posted February 24 In spiraling out while waiting to hear from programs: this does not mean your writing isn't quality but means it's not the right time. You have to keep writing! Join a writing group (in-person, Zoom, local, out-of-state), read so many books (writers you admire, local bookstore recs, translated works, different style/genre, audiobooks, chapbooks, etc), go to readings, become a reader for a lit mag (I did this for a literary award for several years and it was truly enlightening to see so amazing books not make it to the second/third round), email that one writer you love and ask them for advice (I've done this sporadically over the years and they were lovely exchanges, and I've found some local writers are so down to meet up and talk about writing).Β All in all, your writing is valid and don't let this cycle of grad apps get you down.Β greenleaf, insearchoflostwine, lisichka and 4 others 7
baguettemagique Posted February 25 Posted February 25 Second go-round of apps. Applied to 8 schools last year, several waitlists, and two acceptances with partial scholarships (Columbia & NYU, a pretty good amount off at both). No Stegner app just yet, as I know my limits, but maybe one day.Β Also did a few PhD applications last cycle and was accepted to two "dream" programs, but almost all of the academics I want to study with have retired or left the U.S.Β As I'm currently living abroad, I decided to wait to see how the political situation developed back home. I'm tryingΒ again, mainly for Iowa or Michigan, but also for Columbia & NYU. Got a no from Michigan and nothing from Iowa yet, so assuming a no. Last year's letter tookΒ foreverΒ to arrive, so we'll see.Β Columbia's not in the best of shape right now, so, should I get in again, they might be more generous with funding? Who knows. The novel chapters I applied withβrisky, I knowβwere certainly in better shape this go-round... I've since workshopped those chapters, and now my MFA writing sample feels like crap in comparison. Anyway, I'm also applying for PhD programs and casting a broader net. I'd be leaving my parents alone in the U.S. for even longer, but it's not like I'd be living with them even if I did a U.S.-based program. Also, those PhD programs would help me earn residency or even citizenship in a country I also love. I could theoretically continue to attend online & local writers' groups (and maybe pay for manuscript feedback or a query letter course)........ but the siren call of the MFA is hard to ignore. All that's to say, if you all had the pick of the litter and money wasn't a factor, what program would everyone choose?Β Also, is anyone feeling weird about their "voice" and whether it sounds too AI? I love an em dash and am mostly working/thinking in another language, which is starting to affect my sentence structures in English, so I'm second-guessing everything about my writing right now. All in all, a fun time.
marsmentality Posted February 25 Posted February 25 2 hours ago, gupppy said: I really recommend attending a workshop! I went to Tin House's (now McCormick's) workshop this winter and received so much of what I went into MFA apps desiring (and what it sounds like you might be desiring): a community of writers, useful feedback on my writing, mentorship, connections with agents/editors, suddenly feeling "part of" a literary world. Really, really changed the game for me and now I feel worlds more prepared to attend a program this fall.Β Apparently my university education failed me because I just found a million different places to attend classes and workshops with authors here in Chicago. No clue why I didn't think I'd find anything here. This first-gen student mind has its limits tested yet again... thank you for this advice! π gupppy 1
cantoras Posted February 25 Posted February 25 the only good news I've gotten so far is an interview at a school I'd really love going to... does anyone have tips for an interview at a fiction program? I've searched the Draft page but can't seem to find info relevant for fiction interviews.Β
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now