My first notification is a rejection but...

snes

my first notification was a rejection from University of Rochester...it was sort of my safety school so it made me very anxious just thinking about my chances of getting in my other top tier schools :( and so far I have not heard anything else since. maybe no news is good news? It's better than rejections, right ? but the waiting process is such a torture. I am having difficulty falling asleep every night, and I have been binge eating since last week. pizzas, chocolates, muffins, donuts, chips, ice creams offer some temporary comfort but I often feel guilty afterwards...

I applied to four super dream schools and nothing else. But whatever! I've already got it in my head to reapply next year and lower my standards. It's the worst when you have to explain to everybody -- family, friends, coworkers, etc -- that you've been rejected and you might be rejected everywhere.

But like if any of us get an acceptance now, it's THAT MUCH MORE AWESOME because of the contrast!

my first notification was a rejection from University of Rochester...it was sort of my safety school so it made me very anxious just thinking about my chances of getting in my other top tier schools :( and so far I have not heard anything else since. maybe no news is good news? It's better than rejections, right ? but the waiting process is such a torture. I am having difficulty falling asleep every night, and I have been binge eating since last week. pizzas, chocolates, muffins, donuts, chips, ice creams offer some temporary comfort but I often feel guilty afterwards...

but...U of Rochester (according to all the information, even if super outdated, on NRC) has a very good program o_O I'm not sure who you applied to, but I think U of Rochester is reputed and competitive enough not be put in the usual "safety" tier, unless you're talking about the absolute top programs/professors. Sorry, just wanted to comment on that :) and to say that all of your programs might be equally competitive and rejection from one doesn't mean rejection from the others.

i just have an assumed rejection cos they didnt invite me to their interview weekend. was depressed for a week but after that i was like whatever, your loss o_O (or rather try to convince myself so lol)

My first notification was a rejection, I was a bit bummed about it, but to be honest it was actually unlikely that I would get in... it was U of R, their poli sci programme, which I believe is up there in the top poli sci programmes. Although, as I said, I didn't expect much (low GPA, little background in Poli Sci, extremely international background, no publications/conferences) ... but it was nice to hope and dream...

My first was a letter of rejection as well. It was from one of the best schools in my field. But I somehow when I was filling up forms and etc., I had a gut feeling that that school wouldn't be a good fit for me.

The second letter, I received as an acceptance letter. I have yet to hear from the other schools I've applied to, but I'm overjoyed that there's a program that is willing to take me in.

This isn't the first time I applied for grad schools (doctoral programs that is). The first time round, my CV looked miserable. I knew it was hard to compete with other grad students (at the Masters level) who had chalked in tonnes of brownie points along their undergrad and grad career. As such, within a year, I did whatever I could to chalk up brownie points. I presented at a regional conference and took up some research projects. I managed to be co-authors along with several professors. And it certainly helped when my department chair from my undergrad asked me to present a talk on my thesis (another brownie point).

Here's my sentiments.. At the end of the day, it's a tough call for the program directors to differentiate between the various candidates vying for spots. A student with a 3.5 GPA compared to another with a similar GPA has to "shine" in other areas such as research and teaching abilities. So, if there are opportunities to present for conferences (whether it's a poster or oral presentation), go for it. Brownie points .. that's what it's all about.

Don't give up guys!

I feel your pain! My experience EXACTLY, but then I thought that the adcoms must have thought that I would SURELY be getting into a different and better school, so why should they even try, right? They knew that they were a safety school and could see from my imminent qualifications that any top tier program would be falling all over themselves to have me.

Anyway, that's what I tell myself. Meanwhile, I wait with the rest of you, hoping, wondering and praying.... BEST OF LUCK TO ALL!

I applied to four super dream schools and nothing else. But whatever! I've already got it in my head to reapply next year and lower my standards. It's the worst when you have to explain to everybody -- family, friends, coworkers, etc -- that you've been rejected and you might be rejected everywhere.

But like if any of us get an acceptance now, it's THAT MUCH MORE AWESOME because of the contrast!

Yepp I did the same! but mine is 6 super dream schools. Got one rejection so far & am pretty sure I am rejected from a second one as they already gave out acceptance/ waitlist notifications & they're notorious for not sending rejections until the last minute. But if I am accepted to one of them it'll be amazing!!

The good thing about applying to super dream schools is that if youre rejected, it's not so bad because you think "eh it was a long shot anyway". Not like if you're rejected from a supposed safety school and you think 'OH NO!!! Im SCREWED!!!!!" Just my opinion, anyway.

Edited by Zouzax

Yeah, I just got my first letter - a rejection - this morning. It hurt more because of the "Oh-no-what-if-ALL-the-schools-reject-me!" feeling than anything, I think. One of my professors actually told me that this school may not be the best for me, so I'm going to hang on to that and try not to feel too depressed.

snes, I feel the same..:(.. my family and friends are all expecting that I can get in grad school and it's just too much pressure on me and I fear to disappoint them if I fail...

but...U of Rochester (according to all the information, even if super outdated, on NRC) has a very good program o_O I'm not sure who you applied to, but I think U of Rochester is reputed and competitive enough not be put in the usual "safety" tier, unless you're talking about the absolute top programs/professors. Sorry, just wanted to comment on that :) and to say that all of your programs might be equally competitive and rejection from one doesn't mean rejection from the others.

i just have an assumed rejection cos they didnt invite me to their interview weekend. was depressed for a week but after that i was like whatever, your loss o_O (or rather try to convince myself so lol)

yah I agree I guess U of Rochester is not a good fit for me in terms of my research interest...

I also had an assumed rejection because I have got no interview notification n whatnot....so I guess I have been informally rejected. bitter and brutal =(

I feel your pain! My experience EXACTLY, but then I thought that the adcoms must have thought that I would SURELY be getting into a different and better school, so why should they even try, right? They knew that they were a safety school and could see from my imminent qualifications that any top tier program would be falling all over themselves to have me.

Anyway, that's what I tell myself. Meanwhile, I wait with the rest of you, hoping, wondering and praying.... BEST OF LUCK TO ALL!

Good luck to you too !!! I tried to distract myself yesterday and today and it worked as long as I am with friends and we do not bring this up in out conversation...but when im alone, let's say when im back to study, I can't help fretting over it and it's hard to concentrate on my homework :(

this might sound a little crazy, but I got my second rejection today and ... I felt a little relieved. Although Ive only been formally rejected from 2 out of the 6 schools Ive applied to, I know 3 of the others already held interviews and the last one is a VERY long shot ... so, although I'm trying to stay positive, it looks like this year might be a bust for me.

The good news is that Ive spent a lot of time working on a plan B, which consists of my staying in Europe and continuing my Master's studies. I found some amazing programs that have deadlines in March-June that Ill apply for. I dont know, maybe things are meant to be?

Of course, if my long shot school decides to take a chance on me & send me an acceptance ... Ill pack all my stuff tomorrow & camp outside until the fall semester biggrin.gif

My first notification was a rejection, and my second notification was a rejection, and I'm pretty sure I've been unofficially rejected from a third, and that's all I've heard so far. Trying not to lose hope, but it's kind of a tough battle.

My first notification was a rejection, and my second notification was a rejection, and I'm pretty sure I've been unofficially rejected from a third, and that's all I've heard so far. Trying not to lose hope, but it's kind of a tough battle.

Hey I feel your pain !!! I am gradually losing hope right now and I am driving myself and everyone else around me crazy. I cannot fall asleep at night. my first notification was a rejection from u of Rochester. It's sort of my safety school. and now I am waiting for the results for 4 other schools but I am not optimistic about it. I have not got any interviews or anything. It's just plain silent...and I assume that might be a sign of rejection. I tried to distract myself but it's so hard. and im trying to come up with a back up plan, but back up plan just sucks !!!

and thinking about applying again next year...Oh God how can i fall asleep !!! *sigh*

Staying in Europe isn't all that bad...sounds pretty enticing actually! :)

this might sound a little crazy, but I got my second rejection today and ... I felt a little relieved. Although Ive only been formally rejected from 2 out of the 6 schools Ive applied to, I know 3 of the others already held interviews and the last one is a VERY long shot ... so, although I'm trying to stay positive, it looks like this year might be a bust for me.

The good news is that Ive spent a lot of time working on a plan B, which consists of my staying in Europe and continuing my Master's studies. I found some amazing programs that have deadlines in March-June that Ill apply for. I dont know, maybe things are meant to be?

Of course, if my long shot school decides to take a chance on me & send me an acceptance ... Ill pack all my stuff tomorrow & camp outside until the fall semester biggrin.gif