Do professor read this forum

LongGraduatedStudent

There is a recent discussion in the linguistics subforum that indicates that not only do professors read the forums (some of them, occasionally, at least) -- but they are also [a] able to identify applicants based on their posts, and use that information in the recruitment process. In that specific case - trying to get an applicant to consider an offer from a school that he did not specify as one of his top two.

Scary, I know.

There is a recent discussion in the linguistics subforum that indicates that not only do professors read the forums (some of them, occasionally, at least) -- but they are also [a] able to identify applicants based on their posts, and use that information in the recruitment process. In that specific case - trying to get an applicant to consider an offer from a school that he did not specify as one of his top two.

Scary, I know.

I was stupid enough to use my first name as my username (just changed that). In early posts I did note my pecking order... I don't think my prof at my top choice knows about this site, but still...

I hope you're kidding! Can you provide a link to the thread you're talking about? I looked at the linguistics subforum, but couldn't figure out which thread this is in. Thanks.

They doooooo!!!!!!! omg! I've been posting a lot of, uhm, silly things.

Dear POIs --if you read this--, I may appear somewhat emotional, often lunatic at times in this forum; that is due to my nature as a passionate person. I am truly committed in my pursuit of knowledge (i.e., getting into a graduate school). Hence offering me an acceptance will contribute to a well-spent portion of your hard-earned grant money. Thank you professor.

I love thinking about problems and solving them, and that's honest.

OH MY GOD.

I'll have to edit all my postings. They'll be able to identify me in a second. Not only did I use a derivate of my first name as a username, but I posted that I'm a Fulbrighter (more than once, sorry - not bragging, but this information is simply necessary when I explain things, because the application process is totally different for me). I didn't say anything I am ashamed of. But still... They might conclude that I'm a crazy person because of being so impatient.

I've always assumed that people can identify me - I mean, how many people from Tacoma are applying to history programs right now? (Two, including me, unless In Town Rival School had some.)

I doubt that silly posts will turn anyone off. The ones to worry about are posts ranking programs or talking down to programs/people.

I don't think it's that shocking some adcomms might turn to a well-known board specializing in grad school applications to see if anything turns up. I've heard about applicants being googled before, too.

The example from the Linguistics sub-board just shows that the general rule of Internet-forum-use applies here too: either keep identifying details vague, or put it out there and stand by it, knowing you run the chance of being identified. It could be anyone - other classmates, relatives, professors. This board definitely has a welcoming, safe haven vibe to it, and it's wonderful, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that it's still a publicly accessible corner of the Internet.

This is a little scary but fortunately I've always tried to keep what I said pretty clean and neutral. :)

I would think I would be more worried about grad students on ad coms then professors on here. That seems more likely and prospectives might even disclose more to a grad student.

Scary, I know.

OMG :blink:

I don't think it's that shocking some adcomms might turn to a well-known board specializing in grad school applications to see if anything turns up. I've heard about applicants being googled before, too.

The example from the Linguistics sub-board just shows that the general rule of Internet-forum-use applies here too: either keep identifying details vague, or put it out there and stand by it, knowing you run the chance of being identified.

Yeah, I'm not too surprised since I know of some people who have to do certain background checks on applicants due to the nature of their job, and the internet is almost always a major part of checking out a person's profile somehow (forum posts, social networking sites, google, etc.). I'm not too worried because even if they identify me, there's nothing on here to discredit me in anyway (at least I hope).

Just for the fun of it I googled my name just now to see what the adcomms would see, and it was a pretty boring sight with nothing notable to speak of. Oh no ... Maybe the adcomms could even hold THAT against me. AHH

Yeah, I'm not too surprised since I know of some people who have to do certain background checks on applicants due to the nature of their job, and the internet is almost always a major part of checking out a person's profile somehow (forum posts, social networking sites, google, etc.). I'm not too worried because even if they identify me, there's nothing on here to discredit me in anyway (at least I hope).

Just for the fun of it I googled my name just now to see what the adcomms would see, and it was a pretty boring sight with nothing notable to speak of. Oh no ... Maybe the adcomms could even hold THAT against me. AHH

This is one of the advantages (or disadvantages) of having a really common name. When I google myself, I get some self-help guru with the tagline of "invest in yourself and make it happen."

no body googles by name, emails are more of an identifiers here (names may tie-break). let alone they know many many things about you from the application. so i think, given an applicant, it would not be that hard to know many things about the internet activity about him (this applies best to CS applicants)

This is a bit scary. I may have to disappear and reappear with a different account once I get into grad schoolcool.gif Although, I don't think I've posted anything embarrassing here, perhaps except all the time I spend in the Keep a Word, Drop a Word threadsunsure.gif