Buffalo, NY

Guest Ms. Geology

Thanks, yeah, it was about a week exactly from the time I got the email until I got the paper version. I'd maybe give it another week or so just in case--maybe they are just super busy in the office or something. I'm always afraid of seeming too pushy, but that's just my own read-too-much-into-everything way.  ;)

I got the official letters in the mail today and I was about to ask the department whether I can visit campus. Phew such a long wait! I just don't get why they don't communicate through email though. Maybe they think they have sent me the print letters so I will see them soon. Anyway I have been off-track about my minor issue for a while :P let's keep talking about the city!

What are some ways I can look for an apartment in Buffalo? I'm gonna be a pure first-timer in BU so I'm not familiar with everything. Are there any trustworthy sources of information? I'm not used to dealing with housing issue from a long distance either. I appreciate any of your advices!   

Same boat here! I also have two dogs to add to the mix. : p I own now and am very worried about finding a place to rent with my dogs, one of whom is a pitbull. Anyone have advice for finding housing long-distance?

Edited by notaprettygrrrl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got an invitation to the PhD prospect weekend first week of April ! What is the most convenient way to reach North campus from the airport?

The best way to get from the airport to North would probably be a cab. I don't think UB has shuttles or anything, and the Metro buses would take multiple transfers/over an hour for a 20 minute drive! There's more information on the airport's website here

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm really considering Buffalo now and I'm excited about the department. I have been patiently looking for housing and until then I can relax a little bit and enjoy the Queen city....

TakeMyCoffeeBlack and anthemsosweet, what do you guys think about UB? 

Edited by getitlow

I don't have much personal experience, but I think UB is great. The North/Amherst is a nice area that's close to a lot of different stores and restaurants. The students, faculty and staff contribute a lot to the area and beyond with research, service, etc - it has a great reputation. Friends that have attended enjoy their programs and experiences. Almost all of them attended for undergrad, but I do know a few people in the law school who really like it (despite always having work to do!). And there are always great speakers, musicians and shows that they sponsor or are at the Center for the Arts; most of the time when I'm at UB it's to see speakers or for Fall Fest and Spring Fest acts.

Not a ton of specifics, but I hope it helps!

I don't have much personal experience, but I think UB is great. The North/Amherst is a nice area that's close to a lot of different stores and restaurants. The students, faculty and staff contribute a lot to the area and beyond with research, service, etc - it has a great reputation. Friends that have attended enjoy their programs and experiences. Almost all of them attended for undergrad, but I do know a few people in the law school who really like it (despite always having work to do!). And there are always great speakers, musicians and shows that they sponsor or are at the Center for the Arts; most of the time when I'm at UB it's to see speakers or for Fall Fest and Spring Fest acts.

Not a ton of specifics, but I hope it helps!

That helps a lot. I have always been receiving mixed responses toward Buffalo. People have been lamenting over its rustbelt status of a city and this and that. But I'm glad to hear from you many positive points. I'm visiting this weekend so I will definitely keep asking questions about the city. Thanks a lot for helps! 

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm going to SUNY Buffalo this August.  I've kinda sorta started looking for a place to live.  I'm looking at living in Elmwood Village or Allentown; is it going to be impossible for me to find a decent and affordable 1 bedroom apartment available July 1st?  The impression I get is that those two neighborhoods have plenty of non-students that live there too, so I can't tell if the availability on Craigslist right now is normal turnover, or if it's all the landlords lining up tenants for next year.

Also, what's actual downtown Buffalo like?  I've seen a couple of nice apartments listed there, but if all the good bars/restaurants are in Elmwood Village/Allentown, maybe it's not worth it?  I dunno, there's a lot of appeal in living in a walkable neighborhood with lots of park like areas, which is the sense I get that Elmwood/Allentown are.

I'm not sure if many of you realize, but UB's main campus is a bit of a distance from Elmwood/Allentown/Downtown etc. While those areas are great places to live if you are young and looking for a lot to do, as a grad student at UB now, I would suggest finding a place close to whatever campus most of your classes are (North, South, Downtown). Like I said, North campus is about 20 minuntes from the downtown area, in a suburb called Amherst, so it will be a bit of a hike everyday if you live in those areas. Amherst is awesome, especially if you don't like the city life, as it has a lot of bike paths, parks, etc. as well as TONS of stores/resturatants. If you like the hustle and bustle more, areas around South campus have more of a city feel, albiet more "ghetto" as well.

I'm not sure if many of you realize, but UB's main campus is a bit of a distance from Elmwood/Allentown/Downtown etc. While those areas are great places to live if you are young and looking for a lot to do, as a grad student at UB now, I would suggest finding a place close to whatever campus most of your classes are (North, South, Downtown). Like I said, North campus is about 20 minuntes from the downtown area, in a suburb called Amherst, so it will be a bit of a hike everyday if you live in those areas. Amherst is awesome, especially if you don't like the city life, as it has a lot of bike paths, parks, etc. as well as TONS of stores/resturatants. If you like the hustle and bustle more, areas around South campus have more of a city feel, albiet more "ghetto" as well.

Thank you for the insight. I visited the campus and it actually took me a while to figure out that North campus is actually further from downtown than South campus. Do you think commuting about 40 minutes (maybe even more) every day on public transportation (metro rail, city bus, UB stampede) in exchange of living in Allentown or Elmwood, or anywhere downtown worth it? For me, as a history grad student, I can always enjoy some reading on these long commuting route but I'm not sure it will be a pleasant thing to do in the long run. Any feedback ?! 

I'm considering South campus too. I may walk to South campus and take the stampede to reach North, where most of my classes will be held. What particular area in South campus is less "ghetto" and generally good to live?

Apartment hunting is really tiring me out, yet can't deny it's exciting because I learn more about the city and grasp a better gepgraphic sense of it.

Thank you for the insight. I visited the campus and it actually took me a while to figure out that North campus is actually further from downtown than South campus. Do you think commuting about 40 minutes (maybe even more) every day on public transportation (metro rail, city bus, UB stampede) in exchange of living in Allentown or Elmwood, or anywhere downtown worth it? For me, as a history grad student, I can always enjoy some reading on these long commuting route but I'm not sure it will be a pleasant thing to do in the long run. Any feedback ?! 

I'm considering South campus too. I may walk to South campus and take the stampede to reach North, where most of my classes will be held. What particular area in South campus is less "ghetto" and generally good to live?

Apartment hunting is really tiring me out, yet can't deny it's exciting because I learn more about the city and grasp a better gepgraphic sense of it.

I mean if you are up for it definitely live in Elmwood/Allentown if you can, very historic, also has been voted one of the best neighborhoods to live in for young people. Depending on where you are, its still about 15 min from South campus, but like you said, the Stampede runs betweeen North and South so don't worry about getting all the way to North on your own. I'm just the kind of student who likes rolling out of bed and being to class in a few minutes!

As far as money goes APOCooter, 20k is more than enough to live in a decent apartment and have enough for food/fun. I mean TA's here get around 18k or less so you can judge by that.

Honestly I really like Buffalo, for as bad of a rap as it gets, it's really not a bad place. Plently to do in the area, very historic, and the winters aren't that bad, compared with other cities in the rust belt like syracuse/rochester/cleveland etc. it doesn't get much snow just very cold. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I need a place in Buffalo too! Any tips? I reach August 15th....I really I hope I find a place real quick...Im leaning towards amherst...since most classes for me will be there

• 2 weeks later...

I initially wanted to live in Amherst too but after a while doing research, I figure it's better to live in downtown so that you can be close to everything. I'm a very "city" person so I think I will be better off living in that area of the city. What are you studying? 

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if UB has any sort of public transportation discount?  On the NFTA website, they talk about Buff State, Cannesius and a couple other schools offering unlimited bus services throughout the city.  I checked out UB's student transportation fee and it seems like all that money goes toward Stampede and intra campus transportation, which I couldn't care less about.  I'm asking because I'm going to be living on main street about two and a half miles from campus.  Since I'm right on a bus line, I figured I'd take the bus a lot.  But not if the fares are more expensive than driving.

Edited by APOCooter

• 2 weeks later...

Long time no visit this thread and to APOCooter: I answered part of your concern in UB's thread. I cannot believe that I'm moving to Buffalo in less than 3 weeks. What's going to be the first thing that I should do on my first day? Bike around Amherst and see the campus? (I want to try the stampede and see how it works with my route to school) or venturing downtown, Elmwood, etc. Seriously though, I really need to learn how to navigate around before class begins shortly after. 

• 7 months later...

Just accepted an offer from UB for their behavioral neuroscience doctoral program. Looking forward to moving to Buffalo in mid June/July. Hoping to live in the Elmwood/Allentown area, also looking for a roommate is anyone is interested.

I too was just accepted into UB's Master of Architecture Program - which I believe is at their south campus? I've begun looking at housing options and possible roommates and locations. I have officially accepted the offer, because I'm still waiting to hear back from one other school. I guess I'll have a decision in mid-april! Ugh...all of the snow! I don't know if I'm ready for it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I get admission to PhD program at LSU. I get admission from SUNY at Buffalo too.

I have heard that Baton Rouge is very hot and humid in summer, and Buffalo is very cold in winter.

The Professor and ranking of LSU is better in my field of study (Louisiana is 60 and Buffalo 70; it is not considerable)

which university would you recommend and why?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I have kind of a specific question about when to start looking for a place to live if I want to have an apartment for August 1st.

I was wondering if anyone knows how far in advance apartments usually go up for rent in Buffalo? In Vancouver, for example, if you want to rent for August 1st you need to be looking at places July 1st or you're out of luck. In Edinburgh, though, new (and nice) flats go up for rent every week, so you don't need much notice to move in to a decent place. 

I'm planning on flying out to Buffalo for a few days to look for a place so I just want to make sure I come at the best time!

• 11 months later...

Hello everyone,

I have been through all the pages and thanks for the info form all the users!

I am also accepted to the Phd program in Math department and I am thinking about accepting it.

Recently, I have started looking for the housing options, and I still can not make up my mind. Department is in the North Campus and everyone posted that it is really far(I will rely on public transport also). I will be a grad student but I like to go out and get a beer in the evening most of the time. Also I'd be happy about easy access to the transportation. So I am kinda sceptical about Elmwood and Allentown. 

I also understood that getting to North campus from South is kind of easier. So which areas would you recommend for a mathematician ((: in South campus area? As i said, I would be happy to go out and grab a beer from time to time with friends, so this is a quite important criterion for me ((:

One more question about getting to Buffalo, I will be flying to US since i am an international student. The last time I have been to US I had to go to south states, I went to JFK and took the bus Greyhound from New York. So what would be the most efficient and cheapest option to get to Buffalo? Going to JFK and taking another flight from there, taking the train or the bus? I'd appreciate any suggestion!