Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Agree with the person who said that if they had known it took so long for Turkey to process our application they would have applied to a different ETA program. This thought has crossed my mind a thousand times!!

The dreaded n/s, Luxembourg full.

Back to the drawing board!

Sorry to hear that :( Good attitude though! Did you hear today? Just trying to see if anyone was notified today. Always gives me hope that the rest of us may hear something too.

Edited by meli12

Is it better to know or not to know. Once you are an alternate you can spend months just hoping for another email. Hoping that get the notifications out for the rest of you soon, its driving me mad just watching you all going mad.

Agree with the person who said that if they had known it took so long for Turkey to process our application they would have applied to a different ETA program. This thought has crossed my mind a thousand times!!

Yeah, I was debating between Jordan and Turkey. Settled on Turkey, but now wish I had applied to Jordan just so that I would have heard back by now.

Full research grant to Estonia!!!!!! Couldn't be more excited.

Tallinn was my favorite city I visited while in Russia... It remains my favorite city in the world (so far!)

My Mum ordered Vana Tallinn from Estonia and had it shipped to me at college my senior year finals... it will always have a special place in my heart. Well done !

Any ETAs know their specific placement? Besides just the country?

I think we wait for the letter. I had to go through an interview process with the Embassy in Belarus, so I assume they will call again at some point. According to the Eastern Europe Fulbright 2012-2013 forum, our fellow ETAs from these parts don't know anything either. My understanding is that the letter and then further instructions within it will shed some light on the next ten months of our lives.

I was selected for a ETA to Venezuela!!! :) I am very excited and still in shock!

For those who have already been selected, when do you hear what the next steps are? Or how long it takes to get the letter from the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board?

I was selected for a ETA to Venezuela!!! :) I am very excited and still in shock!

For those who have already been selected, when do you hear what the next steps are? Or how long it takes to get the letter from the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board?

Congratulations!!! I initially planned to do my project in Venezuela, but found a really great host organization in Costa Rica that is a perfect fit. If I don't get the grant this year, I will reapply for Venezuela next year- maybe I'll hit you up for advice :)

SUPERCONGRATULATIONS PDX503! I'm really happy for you!

Just FYI, I got my letter from the FFSB a few days ago, and it is literally one page reiterating the "Congrats!" of the email. Your acceptance email should link to the medical review and consent form, which you have a month to complete. Other than that, I have no idea when we're going to sign contracts, set up EFT, etc.

Congratulations!! Super exciting. =)

So has there been anymore notifications for the East Asia/Pacific regional program? While I know that not every applicant is on this forum, it seems like there hasn't been many acceptances for the region? Two by my count, and a few alternates. My personal hope is that like other regions, they're still not sure about the budget, and we (alternates) may be promoted later? Or just wishful thinking :)

So here's a ton of positive thoughts for all the other alternates out there!

Congratulations!!! I initially planned to do my project in Venezuela, but found a really great host organization in Costa Rica that is a perfect fit. If I don't get the grant this year, I will reapply for Venezuela next year- maybe I'll hit you up for advice :)

Yes, most definitely, I would be happy to help! I have never been to Venezuela, but my step brother lived there and really loved it. I am excited to expereince the beautiful country.

SUPERCONGRATULATIONS PDX503! I'm really happy for you!

Just FYI, I got my letter from the FFSB a few days ago, and it is literally one page reiterating the "Congrats!" of the email. Your acceptance email should link to the medical review and consent form, which you have a month to complete. Other than that, I have no idea when we're going to sign contracts, set up EFT, etc.

Thanks for the tip. I am anxious to find out what city I will be placed in, but it sounds like I may have to wait a bit for that info to come through. Most importlantly is that we know we got it already, so that's what counts!

Any ETAs know their specific placement? Besides just the country?

I got my placement like two weeks after I was notified. About half the other ETAs got their notifications with mine and two or three are still waiting. Our letters went out March 30th.

Yaaaaaay!!!!!! So exciting!!!

The one page letter came about a week after the e-mail basically restating what was in the notification e-mail, as someone mentioned previously. The package from my country (Indonesia) came about two weeks later. It contained time sensitive forms for acceptance and terms & conditions. There is also a checklist of things you need to send: bank account info, nearest international airport, and some other easy questions that can be sent via e-mail. Luckily, the medical form is accessible online. The country I'm currently in has no postal system so my mum brought me my package and I scanned what I could since the forms were due two days later. The medical form has to be mailed to NYC and I did that during a short trip to the states. Hopefully, you won't have to go through anything like that! Once the medical form has been cleared, I should hear back in July about booking flights and getting my visa for departure in August. And I should have written this first - CONGRATULATIONS! :-)

Edited by redArcher

I'm still waiting for my official info package from Spain...Hmm, redArcher, you said yours arrived 2 weeks later. That's this week, but I'll wait until the end of next week before I get nervous.

Also, to anybody, I'm filling out the health forms and it says that "you are responsible for determining if any particular medical tests/screenings are required for your host country". I doubt Spain requires anything special, but does anyone know where I would find that information? Thanks!

I'm still waiting for my official info package from Spain...Hmm, redArcher, you said yours arrived 2 weeks later. That's this week, but I'll wait until the end of next week before I get nervous.

Also, to anybody, I'm filling out the health forms and it says that "you are responsible for determining if any particular medical tests/screenings are required for your host country". I doubt Spain requires anything special, but does anyone know where I would find that information? Thanks!

I was notified on 27 March, the letter was stamped on 5 April. So, it must have reached my house a day or two later since my permanent address is in NYC. The letter from my host country was stamped on 2 April and reached my house on 12 April (the shipping time will probably vary by country).

Regarding your question, you can go to the CDC website and find the country specific vaccinations and immunizations suggested. If you have them and are up to date with all of them, then you should be fine. For example, if Spain had a high prevalence of malaria, then you would need to get prophylaxis. Other than that, I don't think anything is required. While no one will check, it's still to your benefit to be prepared medically. :-)

Turkey Turkey TURKEY! Please save my sanity...jeez! Does ANYONE have absolutely any information...any updates? This is absolute torture!...TORTURE I TELL YA!

Okay...AND breath...back to normal...I have a feeling this coming week MIGHT be the week...who's with me?!

Whoever said patience was a virtue never had to wait for the Fulbright to answer them!

I also heard back from Pam yesterday. The text of the email follows, verbatim, from what others have posted. It sounds like she is fielding a lot of questions about the same thing. She was super nice, though.

Hmm, I'd loved to forget about it and be pleasantly surprised when I do hear back, but my graduate school and medical school are looking for answers concerning my plans for this coming year. Le Sigh...I have "plans" but you know what they say about the best laid scheme's o' mice an' men right?

Cross your fingers, everyone. At least we're waiting for a good thing. There are so many more unpleasant things to be waiting for or caught in limbo for. At least it's not a medical test result or something like that, right?

Happy weekend, people.