The waiting is the hardest part

storiaitaliana

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm expecting Syracuse to notify end of this week or beginning of the next. I'm a great fit there academically, but was basically told the funding doesn't exist, so I'm not sure whether to be hopeful or just full of dread.

It's still so, so early. Deep breathing!

I'm really really struggling this week. Having still heard absolutely nothing from anyone is getting increasingly hard to take.

Me too. What residual excited hopefulness was left me last week has disappeared in a dim fog of premature dispair. way premature because i probably wont hear from most places until march at least - but people applying for my programme at other universities are starting to hear, and this does not help my mood. i think i will try a self-imposed ban from all internet forums and just limit it to checking my email seventy times a day. or, if that doesnt work, im certainly banning myself from checking the results page at least, because all i can possibly learn from that is that other people have heard from my unis and i have not. feeling too delicate to appreciate that information right now.

oh god, this is such a horrible process!!

Heh. I just printed off nine pages of data for my thesis, and then decided I'd done enough work on it for the day. Meeting with advisor in twenty minutes. Fortunately, he's a nice guy. And I had a bad cold over the weekend, so I'm still in 'err on the side of taking it easy' mode. Though I don't know how long I can keep that up with my schedule! * laughs *

you sound like me psycholinguist! I downloaded about a dozen articles that I needed to read today and decided "well, that took me a pretty long time...lets call it a day." I then looked at my watch and realized it was 1pm. Oh well!

What a drag! Yikes. Hopefully funding will come through in order to provide a bit more stability for a while.

I don't mind being busy at all. The hardest part about it was that I'm 3,000 miles and 3 years away from when I was in undergrad. When I resurrected a paper to submit as a writing sample, I didn't even understand it and found it hard to believe that I had once written it. Luckily, it all came back after rereading and rewriting it a few times, so it's not like I've forgotten everything -- it's just no longer readily at hand.

The distance was harder to surmount. I had to call and email my former profs instead of swinging by and visiting. I had to remind them who I was. I didn't/don't have any kind of advisory infrastructure. I'm reading this site and constantly happening across people mentioning stuff in their posts and thinking "should I have done that? Does that apply to linguistics? What does that even mean?"

Based on my experience, I would HIGHLY recommend to anyone that is even considering grad school, apply as a senior even if you don't plan to go right away! You can defer admissions, or simply decline everywhere, but when you do finally decide to go, you'll have a worked-up, advised-on paper, your profs will have letters on file for you, you'll know what the timelines really mean, etc.

Based on my experience, I would HIGHLY recommend to anyone that is even considering grad school, apply as a senior even if you don't plan to go right away! You can defer admissions, or simply decline everywhere, but when you do finally decide to go, you'll have a worked-up, advised-on paper, your profs will have letters on file for you, you'll know what the timelines really mean, etc.

This is really reassuring. If anything, I was feeling weird about having applied as soon as possible; two of my professors as well as several of my friends and friends' parents advised me to take time off before even considering grad-school - supposedly it helps you avoid burnout, rekindles your passion for the field(s) you're aiming for, and gives you a better idea of why you even want to go. Problem is, I'm very certain that I want to do this; I'm not feeling at all burned-out or restless or sick of the classroom; and I can't think of a single realistic job outside academia that would interest me remotely as much as grad-school. (I'm very fond of writing and even editing, but I don't think I'd want to do it full-time; the same goes for music; and though I would go into lexicography in an instant, finding any kind of position in it is nearly impossible and getting worse.) I can appreciate the arguments in favour of visiting the real world for a few years, but if my past experiences are any indication, I'm going to be bored enough just by the end of this summer!