The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

Interested in Technology Policy, Social Innovation and Digital Economics

Applying to (Considering):  LSE (MPA), UCL (MPA - Digital Technologies and Policy), Sciences Po (Double PSIA + LSE and MPP - Digital, New Technology and Public Policy)

Undergrad Institution: No mame Spanish university

Years out of undergrad: 2 (by Fall 2021)

GPA: 8.9/10 - Double Bachelor's Degree in International Business and International Relations

GRE: N/A

Quant Background: Took a 5-6 economics classes at uni (intro to econ, macro, micro, industrial econ, world economics, financial economics)+ math & stats. 

Relevant Work Experience: Internship in top European international policy organization in Paris + Internship and full-time job in Europe in big tech company doing digital business strategy for top startups

International experience: Born and raised in Spain. Study abroad at McGill (Canada), UC Berkeley (US) and the LSE (UK) as part of my undergraduate studies. Work experience in Spain, France, USA and Ireland

Strength of LOR: Very strong

Thanks!

17 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

So I think you would make a very strong candidate even with the increased competitiveness of this year.

Some notes:

1. Why Tufts Fletcher? - in my opinion (and it is a controversial opinion) - it is a school that will struggle in the future 

2. Why are you not considering programs in Europe? London School of Economics or Oxford MPP (at least as another option)? I say this because your biggest weakness is work experience. Oxford MPP might be a good alternative - especially for IGO pathways. 

Hi! Thanks for your comments. I have looked at Oxford's MPP and GGD program and might apply later in the year if time permits. I prefer to stay in the States tho! Fletcher is actually one of my top choices, I like the community-centric approach of the program. Also, it seems more flexible than others. Why do you think it will struggle in the future?

On 10/17/2020 at 11:48 AM, scholarloading said:

Hi! Thanks for your comments. I have looked at Oxford's MPP and GGD program and might apply later in the year if time permits. I prefer to stay in the States tho! Fletcher is actually one of my top choices, I like the community-centric approach of the program. Also, it seems more flexible than others. Why do you think it will struggle in the future?

I am happy to speak more directly to your questions about Fletcher, but I previously commented about this in detail here:

On 10/16/2020 at 4:39 PM, scholarloading said:

Interested in International Affairs and Policy, specifically Conflict Resolution. 

Applying to (Considering): SPIA Princeton, HKS, Yale Jackson, Columbia SIPA, MSFS Georgetown, Elliot GWU, Tufts Fletcher

Undergrad Institution: Top US Liberal Arts college

Years out of undergrad: 1 (by Fall 2021)

GPA: 3.99/4.00 - Int Studies and Urban Development

GRE: 162V 162Q 4.5AW

Quant Background: Took a couple of economics classes in college. Will be taking macro and micro econ in Spring from a nearby community college.

Relevant Work Experience: Fellowship at top DC think tank

International experience: Born and raised outside the US (in Asia), studied abroad in Europe, proficient in four languages (including English)

Strength of LOR: Very strong

Want to work in the UN's mediation realm down the line.

Thanks!

I think you should consider SAIS. 

On 10/17/2020 at 10:31 AM, DigitalPolicyGrad said:

Interested in Technology Policy, Social Innovation and Digital Economics

Applying to (Considering):  LSE (MPA), UCL (MPA - Digital Technologies and Policy), Sciences Po (Double PSIA + LSE and MPP - Digital, New Technology and Public Policy)

Undergrad Institution: No mame Spanish university

GPA: 8.9/10 - Double Bachelor's Degree in International Business and International Relations

GRE: N/A

Quant Background: Took a 5-6 economics classes at uni (intro to econ, macro, micro, industrial econ, world economics, financial economics)+ math & stats. 

Relevant Work Experience: Internship in top European international policy organization in Paris + Internship and full-time job in Europe in big tech company doing digital business strategy for top startups

International experience: Born and raised in Spain. Study abroad at McGill (Canada), UC Berkeley (US) and the LSE (UK) as part of my undergraduate studies. Work experience in Spain, France, USA and Ireland

Strength of LOR: Very strong

Thanks!

Do you care what country you end up in?

Interested in International Affairs and Policy, specifically International Development

Applying to (Considering): Columbia SIPA (MIA), Tufts Fletcher (MALD), Georgetown Walsh (MSFS), Johns Hopkins SAIS, GW Elliott, NYU Wagner or Center for Global Affairs

Undergrad Institution: Highly-ranked small liberal arts college

Years out of undergrad: 4.5 (by Fall 2021)

GPA: 3.84/4.00 - Govt/Law and International Affairs

GRE: 164V 158Q 5.0AW

Quant Background: Took a diff. calculus & economic modeling class my freshman year. In the econ department, I took Principles of Econ, Intermediate Micro, and Intermediate Macro. Received A- or higher in all (with the exception of Micro... received a B-)

Relevant Work Experience: I've worked at an international, non-profit NGO since graduating from undergrad (~4.5 years by Fall 2021). Currently a Project Manager. 

International experience: Semester abroad in Spain. Also participated in an interim semester abroad in Cuba. My Spanish skills are a bit rusty but am planning to brush up over the next year.

Strength of LOR: I think fairly strong. My academic reference is a former professor and chair of the international affairs program at my alma mater. I have two letters coming from professional colleagues - one a program officer at the U.S. Department of State as well as an Assistant Director at my current employer. 

I'm definitely concerned about increased competitiveness this year... As well as my weaker quant skills (my grade in micro, my lower GRE quant score, etc.) I was also hoping to diversify my professional experience a bit more before applying - rather than spending all four years post-grad at the same organization. However, I do think that both my company and the program I work on have fairly good name recognition, which I'm hoping works in my favor a bit.

Thanks!!

2 hours ago, intprojectmanager said:

Interested in International Affairs and Policy, specifically International Development

Applying to (Considering): Columbia SIPA (MIA), Tufts Fletcher (MALD), Georgetown Walsh (MSFS), Johns Hopkins SAIS, GW Elliott, NYU Wagner or Center for Global Affairs

Undergrad Institution: Highly-ranked small liberal arts college

Years out of undergrad: 4.5 (by Fall 2021)

GPA: 3.84/4.00 - Govt/Law and International Affairs

GRE: 164V 158Q 5.0AW

Quant Background: Took a diff. calculus & economic modeling class my freshman year. In the econ department, I took Principles of Econ, Intermediate Micro, and Intermediate Macro. Received A- or higher in all (with the exception of Micro... received a B-)

Relevant Work Experience: I've worked at an international, non-profit NGO since graduating from undergrad (~4.5 years by Fall 2021). Currently a Project Manager. 

International experience: Semester abroad in Spain. Also participated in an interim semester abroad in Cuba. My Spanish skills are a bit rusty but am planning to brush up over the next year.

Strength of LOR: I think fairly strong. My academic reference is a former professor and chair of the international affairs program at my alma mater. I have two letters coming from professional colleagues - one a program officer at the U.S. Department of State as well as an Assistant Director at my current employer. 

I'm definitely concerned about increased competitiveness this year... As well as my weaker quant skills (my grade in micro, my lower GRE quant score, etc.) I was also hoping to diversify my professional experience a bit more before applying - rather than spending all four years post-grad at the same organization. However, I do think that both my company and the program I work on have fairly good name recognition, which I'm hoping works in my favor a bit.

Thanks!!

1. You should not be worried about your professional experience. As long as you made impact in your organization - that is all that matters.

2. I think Johns Hopkins SAIS, is the only place where you lack of quant might challenge your admissions. However, more realistically, do you really want to go through that quant pain if it doesn't really help you get to your career goals?

3. I personally don't like Fletcher given its challenged future. See my previous posts about it:

That being said, ID is becoming more and more multi-disciplinary, and it really helps to go to a program that gives you access to multiple other disciplines involved in ID. For example, if you go to GW, you have a strong potential to consider ID from a public health angle due the strength of its Public Health School next door to the Elliot School. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

On 10/19/2020 at 3:21 PM, GradSchoolGrad said:

Do you care what country you end up in?

Not really that much. I'd prefer to end up in a European capital, but I've changed places so often that at this point I wouldn't really mind. I thought about doing an MPA in the US, but it's just too expensive to justify it, even with scholarships.

My main concern is that the UK will become a more expense location for graduate studies with Brexit next year. Last thing I'd want to do is to graduate in the midst of an economic crisis with tons of debt. European salaries are kinda crap and that'd be a mistake.  

2 minutes ago, DigitalPolicyGrad said:

Not really that much. I'd prefer to end up in a European capital, but I've changed places so often that at this point I wouldn't really mind. I thought about doing an MPA in the US, but it's just too expensive to justify it, even with scholarships.

My main concern is that the UK will become a more expense location for graduate studies with Brexit next year. Last thing I'd want to do is to graduate in the midst of an economic crisis with tons of debt. European salaries are kinda crap and that'd be a mistake.  

I mean at the end of the day, you have to weigh your priorities personally. However, assuming that you can figure out the money issue, I still recommend the top British schools over the European schools because bottom line:

1. The British schools are simply more international (and for all intents in purposes, I mean mix of EU and non EU as it stands now) than the European schools and in terms of outlook, student body, and exposure. 

2. They are more interdisciplinary (AKA: in many ways more cutting edge)

3. Have better resources (slightly subjective... but I can defend it in detail if you want). 

1 hour ago, DigitalPolicyGrad said:

If you are an EU citizen you could consider a tech/society focused Erasmus Mundus program, if that interests you? 

Considering: NYU Wagner (MPA-PNP or MUP in Urban Analytics), UChicago Harris (MSCAPP), potentially others

Undergrad Institution: Large state school (~top 65)

Years out of undergrad: 7 years

GPA: 3.8 - B.S., Environmental Economics, Minor in Philosophy

GRE: Have not taken. Not sure if the right plan is to wait a year and take the GRE before applying, but would rather not take it if it's not necessary.

Quant Background: Calculus 1 (A), Applied Statistics (A), Microeconomics (A), Macroeconomics (A), Economics of Production (A), Economics of Food Marketing Systems (A), Land Economics (A), Environmental Economics (A), International Economics (B+), Demand and Price Analysis (B+)

Relevant Work Experience:

• Associate (~1.5 years) and Director-level position (~3.5 years) at a small nonprofit that works in a specific sector of clean energy finance & policy. My job focuses on market research, data analysis & visualization, communications, & working with stakeholders on various projects that are central to the organization
  • Internship in economic policy for a large environmental nonprofit that does economic research. (~5 months full-time)
  • Internship at sustainability consulting firm. (~7 months full-time)
  • Research assistant for environmental economics professor. Co-wrote a chapter of a published book. (~3 months)

Strength of SOP: Should be relatively strong. I think I can show a clear purpose and a common thread throughout my career that's leading me to pursue the degree.

Strength of LOR: Planning to ask my current boss (the current Exec. Director of the organization) and most recent boss (the previous Exec. Director & Board Member). Does it look odd to submit two letters from the leadership of the same organization? These should both be strong letters, and these recommenders have very different backgrounds. A third letter would not be as compelling—it would either come from a past internship supervisor, a past colleague, or the professor I worked with as an RA.

Extracurriculars: This year, finished a 1-year certificate in clean energy finance from Yale SOM & FES

I'm interested in working in the areas of climate, clean energy and urban resiliency, either for an NGO in an analytical role, startups working in civic technology, or city government in a role that makes some use of data analysis.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on my chances for these programs or any others that might seem like a good fit. I'm not sure if there are other programs have the mix of analytics + climate / urban policy focus that I'm looking for. NYU's MUP interested me because it's part of the policy school and the curriculum is very similar to their MPA, but it also includes aspects of GIS and urban informatics.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Amigara

Interested in Political Economy, Institutional design, applied economics: really the intersection of economics, political science and policy.

Applying to (Considering): Georgetown (Political Economy), Yale Jackson (Global Affairs) , Columbia SIPA (International Economic Policy), Pittsburgh MPIA (International Political Economy), Denver- Korbel (Global Finance, Trade and Economic Integration) and LSE (Political Science and Political Economy)

Undergrad Institution: Average private school midwest (Top 250 undergrad) 

Years out of undergrad: 1.5 (by Fall 2021)

GPA: 3.50/4.0 - Finance 

GRE: Unofficial scores: 163V 165Q AW (still awaiting I took the GRE last weekend)

Quant Background: Intro Micro and Macro, Intermediate Micro, International Finance, Calculus I & II, Statistics. (I am also looking into Calc III and Linear Algebra before the fall) 

Relevant Work Experience: Thus far I've been a trader with an investment firm, Series 7 & 66 licenses if that means anything. I am trying to pivot my career and am looking into internships in spring and summer. (This is a major concern for me). 

Strength of LOR: Not sure- 2 possible LOR's from finance professors (another weakness)

Ideally: I am interested in a Ph.D down the road in political science / public policy that has a strong economics component. 

Work: Researcher with think tank or institution such as: IMF, IFC, US Dept. State, Federal Reserve, World Bank, Peterson Institute International Economics (PIIE)... 

I have been contemplating this route or a pure economics masters as a stepping-stone for a PhD. I am leaning towards this route is more direct to the type of research I'd like to do after PhD, and  because the coursework is more true to my interests. 

Thanks!

Hello

I am new here and just recently heard about this forum but I would just like for someone to give me an idea of where I am at and what I should consider.

Applying to: Political Science (with emphasis in PT) PhD - UCSD, UCSB, UCLA, UMichigan, Duke, NYU, CUNY, with a desire for a future in academia.

Undergraduate Institution: Top ten US school, "Public Ivy"

Undergraduate GPA: 3.0 cumulative, 3.45 major, 3.7 last two years

Undergraduate Major: Political Science with a concentration in Political Theory (and a minor in Philosophy)

GRE: 165V/161Q/5.5AWA - pretty happy with this score, wondering if I should boost my score a few points to make up for my poor GPA.

Letters of Recommendation: have yet to receive any yet, but have three people in mind. One I am 100% confident on, the other two I am 50/50.

Statement of Purpose(s): Pretty confident with these, but I imagine I will be revising them up until the deadline. I have been getting help from various different people (former grad students, professors, parents, friends, etc.).

Years Out of Undergrad:  I am a fourth year so I will be applying through this fall.

Years of Work Experience:  1 ish

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Interned for a lobbying campaign in July that works with different public interest groups. Worked on a political campaign from December to March.

Other notable experience: Worked in dictations and as a scribe for a physicians office during my last two years of high school, sorting paperwork and typing what the physician was saying so that he/she could have notes later. Will be undertaking a research project with one of my professors either in winter or spring (we have yet to work out the details on time frame due to covid, but he has agreed to be my mentor).

Main concerns:

• Low cumulative GPA - this one sucks because my first two years of undergraduate, I was pretty lost and did not know why I was at college or what I wanted to do at all. The summer going into my third year I sort of "came back" to political science (I initially wanted to major in this, but let many around me sway me otherwise due to it "not being a viable career path" or "not making money"), and found a love within political theory especially. Since, my major and last two years GPA have looked pretty good, but I worry it is all still too low (the grades I got in PT classes are all As).
  • LORs - I worry that due to COVID, these professor will feel like they do not really know me. While for one, I am very confident (took 3 of his classes, A in all 3), the other two, I don't know. I took a class with each of them in a previous quarter (got an A in both), and am currently in a class with each of them now (likely to get an A in each again). I attend office hours pretty regularly, and appear to be the only one taking advantage of office hours right now (the sign up sheet is public).
  • Writing samples - I don't know how important these are, but I feel like since they are a part of the application they must be. As is, I do not have a paper or a project long enough for this, as most of the applications ask for minimum of ten pages. Because of this, I figure I have to take on a sort of independent research project of my own. I have some pretty good ideas for this and am confident I can write something phenomenal in a month (my course load currently is not high whatsoever). Wondering if this is a big part of applications mostly.

5 hours ago, tritonundergrad said:

Hello

I am new here and just recently heard about this forum but I would just like for someone to give me an idea of where I am at and what I should consider.

Applying to: Political Science (with emphasis in PT) PhD - UCSD, UCSB, UCLA, UMichigan, Duke, NYU, CUNY, with a desire for a future in academia.

Undergraduate Institution: Top ten US school, "Public Ivy"

Undergraduate GPA: 3.0 cumulative, 3.45 major, 3.7 last two years

Undergraduate Major: Political Science with a concentration in Political Theory (and a minor in Philosophy)

GRE: 165V/161Q/5.5AWA - pretty happy with this score, wondering if I should boost my score a few points to make up for my poor GPA.

Letters of Recommendation: have yet to receive any yet, but have three people in mind. One I am 100% confident on, the other two I am 50/50.

Statement of Purpose(s): Pretty confident with these, but I imagine I will be revising them up until the deadline. I have been getting help from various different people (former grad students, professors, parents, friends, etc.).

Years Out of Undergrad:  I am a fourth year so I will be applying through this fall.

Years of Work Experience:  1 ish

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Interned for a lobbying campaign in July that works with different public interest groups. Worked on a political campaign from December to March.

Other notable experience: Worked in dictations and as a scribe for a physicians office during my last two years of high school, sorting paperwork and typing what the physician was saying so that he/she could have notes later. Will be undertaking a research project with one of my professors either in winter or spring (we have yet to work out the details on time frame due to covid, but he has agreed to be my mentor).

Main concerns:

• Low cumulative GPA - this one sucks because my first two years of undergraduate, I was pretty lost and did not know why I was at college or what I wanted to do at all. The summer going into my third year I sort of "came back" to political science (I initially wanted to major in this, but let many around me sway me otherwise due to it "not being a viable career path" or "not making money"), and found a love within political theory especially. Since, my major and last two years GPA have looked pretty good, but I worry it is all still too low (the grades I got in PT classes are all As).
  • LORs - I worry that due to COVID, these professor will feel like they do not really know me. While for one, I am very confident (took 3 of his classes, A in all 3), the other two, I don't know. I took a class with each of them in a previous quarter (got an A in both), and am currently in a class with each of them now (likely to get an A in each again). I attend office hours pretty regularly, and appear to be the only one taking advantage of office hours right now (the sign up sheet is public).
  • Writing samples - I don't know how important these are, but I feel like since they are a part of the application they must be. As is, I do not have a paper or a project long enough for this, as most of the applications ask for minimum of ten pages. Because of this, I figure I have to take on a sort of independent research project of my own. I have some pretty good ideas for this and am confident I can write something phenomenal in a month (my course load currently is not high whatsoever). Wondering if this is a big part of applications mostly.

Hey this is for Public Policy and International Affairs... NOT Political Science graduate programs.

Considering applying to:  Ideally, SAIS (Doctor in International Affairs); Alternatively, HKS (MC-MPA under Mason Programme); Oxford (MPP).

Interests: Policy research relating to foreign affairs/diplomacy; applied policy relating to foreign affairs/diplomacy.

Nationality: Asian country

Undergrad Institution: University of London (exact college not relevant)

Undergrad degree: BA in Modern History (second-class honours upper division)

Previous Graduate School: Georgetown (MSFS)

Previous Graduate degree: MSFS (GPA about 3.5/4.0; GU doesn't provide GPA "Quality Points" on graduate transcripts).

Years since last completed degree: 15+.

Current institution: non-US Western university, Top-50 maybe even Top-40 worldwide by most rankings (THE, ARWU, QS).

Current degree study: IR focusing on Asia (averaging *roughly* A-/Merit/Distinction by US, UK or Australian standards respectively)

GRE: Not planning to take (I'm in my late 40s and SAIS DIA encourages but does not require, nor does HKS for MC-MPA under Mason)

Econs/Finance Background: Not necessary for SAIS DIA. Took intro micro and macro econ theory (requirement for entry into MSFS); took International Trade, International Finance, and Stats (MSFS core); took International Corporate Finance (SAIS Summer School) and assorted international banking and finance subjects as part of MSFS IBD Honours Certificate. 

Relevant International/Work Experience: 15+ years in diplomacy/foreign policy; studied, worked and lived abroad in 7 countries (15+ years total)

Strength of LOR: Maybe average or better than average amongst peers; Hard to say as it depends on the applicant pool too.

While I'm reasonably confident of getting accepting at SAIS DIA (don't know about HKS, probably less so), Financial Aid is likely to be a crucial consideration.

4 hours ago, dannybhoy said:

Considering applying to:  Ideally, SAIS (Doctor in International Affairs); Alternatively, HKS (MC-MPA under Mason Programme); Oxford (MPP).

Interests: Policy research relating to foreign affairs/diplomacy; applied policy relating to foreign affairs/diplomacy.

Nationality: Asian country

Undergrad Institution: University of London (exact college not relevant)

Undergrad degree: BA in Modern History (second-class honours upper division)

Previous Graduate School: Georgetown (MSFS)

Previous Graduate degree: MSFS (GPA about 3.5/4.0; GU doesn't provide GPA "Quality Points" on graduate transcripts).

Years since last completed degree: 15+.

Current institution: non-US Western university, Top-50 maybe even Top-40 worldwide by most rankings (THE, ARWU, QS).

Current degree study: IR focusing on Asia (averaging *roughly* A-/Merit/Distinction by US, UK or Australian standards respectively)

GRE: Not planning to take (I'm in my late 40s and SAIS DIA encourages but does not require, nor does HKS for MC-MPA under Mason)

Econs/Finance Background: Not necessary for SAIS DIA. Took intro micro and macro econ theory (requirement for entry into MSFS); took International Trade, International Finance, and Stats (MSFS core); took International Corporate Finance (SAIS Summer School) and assorted international banking and finance subjects as part of MSFS IBD Honours Certificate. 

Relevant International/Work Experience: 15+ years in diplomacy/foreign policy; studied, worked and lived abroad in 7 countries (15+ years total)

Strength of LOR: Maybe average or better than average amongst peers; Hard to say as it depends on the applicant pool too.

While I'm reasonably confident of getting accepting at SAIS DIA (don't know about HKS, probably less so), Financial Aid is likely to be a crucial consideration.

1. There is next to zero value for you getting an MPP degree (especially from Oxford, which is a great program but is data low... so its not like you are picking up additional technical skills). Also, Oxford requires minimum 3.7 GPA (US) to even be considered for admissions. 

2. Similar deal with HKS MPA-ID (granted it is much more quant heavy, which will have some value added... but most of the classes would be redundant for someone of your experience). 

I think you are smart with the SAIS - PhD, but I'll defer to someone who knows their PhD program better

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

11 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

1. There is next to zero value for you getting an MPP degree (especially from Oxford, which is a great program but is data low... so its not like you are picking up additional technical skills). Also, Oxford requires minimum 3.7 GPA (US) to even be considered for admissions. 

2. Similar deal with HKS MPA-ID (granted it is much more quant heavy, which will have some value added... but most of the classes would be redundant for someone of your experience). 

I think you are smart with the SAIS - PhD, but I'll defer to someone who knows their PhD program better

Thanks.  Would you be aware of other programmes analogous to the SAIS DIA that has a substantial applied research component emphasising policy issues relating to foreign affairs/diplomacy?  Doesn't have to be a "doctorate" award like the DIA, which in any case is not an academic PhD requiring original research.  The only one I can think of that comes close is the 2-year Oxford MPhil in IR which requires a 30,000 word dissertation in addition to coursework. My concern about Oxford is that my research topics are often overlooked in academia (very little if any IR theory) and it would be surprising if there were academics able and keen to oversee them; same goes in fact for SAIS too.

18 hours ago, dannybhoy said:

Thanks.  Would you be aware of other programmes analogous to the SAIS DIA that has a substantial applied research component emphasising policy issues relating to foreign affairs/diplomacy?  Doesn't have to be a "doctorate" award like the DIA, which in any case is not an academic PhD requiring original research.  The only one I can think of that comes close is the 2-year Oxford MPhil in IR which requires a 30,000 word dissertation in addition to coursework. My concern about Oxford is that my research topics are often overlooked in academia (very little if any IR theory) and it would be surprising if there were academics able and keen to oversee them; same goes in fact for SAIS too.

Honestly, you already have a MSFS degree from Georgetown. You really checked box in terms of relevant professional higher education. The only real thing for you left to do is to pivot to a completely new area - requiring another focused Master's or any PhD. 

Hello everyone, I am trying to finalize my list for programs to apply to (late, I know lol) and resist the urge to add a bunch of programs that aren't right for me. I'm having a hard time figuring out which ones would be best for my interests and would truly appreciate any advice or thoughts anyone has. So far my decisions have been based mostly on US News ranking and how much funding potential the program has, but I'm having a hard time thinking beyond that. 

I am currently a congressional staffer working in a member's office on Capitol Hill. I am interested in domestic policy an ideally would like to work in the executive branch or in the legislative branch, or perhaps even federal consulting depending on how badly I need to replay loans lol.

It's worth nothing that I also chose on three broad categories.

1. If I went to GWU or Georgetown, I would probably go part time so I could continue working as a staffer.
  2. The advantage of the British programs would be of course that they're shorter and thus possibly cheaper, so I can go back to my job or move on to the next thing more quickly.
  3. And then finally there are the 2 year full time American programs which would potentially be the most time-consuming and most expensive.

Applying to (Considering): Princeton SPIA MPA, HKS MPP, GWU Trachtenberg MPP, Georgetown McCourt MPP, LSE MPA or MSc in Public Policy and Administration, Cambridge MPhil in Public Policy, Oxford MPP, NYU Wagner MSPP.

I am thinking about getting rid of NYU and adding one or some of the following: Berkeley Goldman MPP, Duke Sanford MPP, Chicago Harris MPP, or UT Austin LBJ MPA. The first three because of the high rank, and the last because of the cheaper price. But I have a hard time knowing if I would even have a chance or if it's worth spending the extra money and time to add them to the list. 

Undergrad Institution: One of the higher ranked Ivies

GPA: 3.9low/4.00 - studied Political Science and Philosophy

GRE: 16highV 16lowQ 6AW

Quant Background: Took macroeconomics, calculus, and introductory statistics classes in college. Haven't taken micro though so would have to take somewhere before enrolling probably. 

Relevant Work Experience: Right after graduating I worked at a personal injury law firm as a paralegal. Then I interned in the Congress member's office and became a full-time employee. It's a low position so I'm not like writing bills or anything, but I still have exposure to the legislative process and the member's decision making process. I also have a lot of interaction with organizations and constituents that are affected by certain policies. I also had some internships in college but they're not related since I didn't really decide to go down this path until when I went to work for the Congress member. I think my job is an interesting attribute, but I am a little bit worried about my relative lack of work experience.

International experience: Born outside of the US but raised here, not much outside of that. Intermediate/advanced Spanish just from studying.

Strength of LOR: I am confident at least two of them will be very good; not 100% sure about the third but hoping it will be good since the writer was very willing to write it.

Strength of SOP: I am generally great at writing and should be able to able to make it strong, but slightly concerned I won't have a whole lot to talk about due to my limited work experience relative to other candidates. In my drafts, I spent a lot of time talking about my studies in undergrad and how that has sent me down the path of public policy, but I probably need to spend more time talking about my exposure to policy in my current position.

If you made it this far, thank you so much for reading and I really appreciate your time. Thank you to everyone who is kind enough to go on this board and give advice to lost souls like me!!

40 minutes ago, TKMPP said:

Hello everyone, I am trying to finalize my list for programs to apply to (late, I know lol) and resist the urge to add a bunch of programs that aren't right for me. I'm having a hard time figuring out which ones would be best for my interests and would truly appreciate any advice or thoughts anyone has. So far my decisions have been based mostly on US News ranking and how much funding potential the program has, but I'm having a hard time thinking beyond that. 

I am currently a congressional staffer working in a member's office on Capitol Hill. I am interested in domestic policy an ideally would like to work in the executive branch or in the legislative branch, or perhaps even federal consulting depending on how badly I need to replay loans lol.

It's worth nothing that I also chose on three broad categories.

1. If I went to GWU or Georgetown, I would probably go part time so I could continue working as a staffer.
  2. The advantage of the British programs would be of course that they're shorter and thus possibly cheaper, so I can go back to my job or move on to the next thing more quickly.
  3. And then finally there are the 2 year full time American programs which would potentially be the most time-consuming and most expensive.

Applying to (Considering): Princeton SPIA MPA, HKS MPP, GWU Trachtenberg MPP, Georgetown McCourt MPP, LSE MPA or MSc in Public Policy and Administration, Cambridge MPhil in Public Policy, Oxford MPP, NYU Wagner MSPP.

I am thinking about getting rid of NYU and adding one or some of the following: Berkeley Goldman MPP, Duke Sanford MPP, Chicago Harris MPP, or UT Austin LBJ MPA. The first three because of the high rank, and the last because of the cheaper price. But I have a hard time knowing if I would even have a chance or if it's worth spending the extra money and time to add them to the list. 

Undergrad Institution: One of the higher ranked Ivies

GPA: 3.9low/4.00 - studied Political Science and Philosophy

GRE: 16highV 16lowQ 6AW

Quant Background: Took macroeconomics, calculus, and introductory statistics classes in college. Haven't taken micro though so would have to take somewhere before enrolling probably. 

Relevant Work Experience: Right after graduating I worked at a personal injury law firm as a paralegal. Then I interned in the Congress member's office and became a full-time employee. It's a low position so I'm not like writing bills or anything, but I still have exposure to the legislative process and the member's decision making process. I also have a lot of interaction with organizations and constituents that are affected by certain policies. I also had some internships in college but they're not related since I didn't really decide to go down this path until when I went to work for the Congress member. I think my job is an interesting attribute, but I am a little bit worried about my relative lack of work experience.

International experience: Born outside of the US but raised here, not much outside of that. Intermediate/advanced Spanish just from studying.

Strength of LOR: I am confident at least two of them will be very good; not 100% sure about the third but hoping it will be good since the writer was very willing to write it.

Strength of SOP: I am generally great at writing and should be able to able to make it strong, but slightly concerned I won't have a whole lot to talk about due to my limited work experience relative to other candidates. In my drafts, I spent a lot of time talking about my studies in undergrad and how that has sent me down the path of public policy, but I probably need to spend more time talking about my exposure to policy in my current position.

If you made it this far, thank you so much for reading and I really appreciate your time. Thank you to everyone who is kind enough to go on this board and give advice to lost souls like me!!

Let me try to simplify you life:

*First off - you are EXTREMELY competitive, and I can see you be competitive for almost any school you apply to

1. Figure out if you want full time vs. part-time.

I strongly recommend against part-time because the bottom line is that you will get a sub-part experience just by virtue of time limitations alone (let alone school programming challenges). If you want to go the financially conservative route, feel free to apply part-time. However... you will have could ofs... should ofs for the rest of your life. Also, expect next to no meaningful networking from the part time programs. I knew 0 McCourt part-time folks who didn't work for Georgetown who managed to work for the community.

If you do part-time --> Its between Georgetown vs. GW... you basically snagging a brand, so you might as well go for Georgetown

If you decide to full time -->

2. Decide if you want a quant heavier or quant low experience. 

If you are okay with quant low (or quant lower, then Oxford, Cambridge, and NYU Wagner should work for you (I don't know LSE well enough). Just appreciate that you won't really be gaining any meaningful marketable technical skills. You are just doing theory and getting case study exposure. 

I strongly recommend a quant heavier program because if you go to grad school, you might as well come away with a meaningful marketable skill.

If you go quant heavier route -->

3. Get rid of the schools that don't have robust programming to help you with your career (as in they don't have the world's best track record with putting their people in the most competitive public policy careers). 

Get Rid:

- So get rid of McCourt MPP (on their website, the career outcomes is actually misleading if you read in between the lines because they only advertise those that they keep track of.... approximately 25% to 33% (depending on year) they conveniently don't have data for or do not care to publish. What this allows them to do is mask those who aren't employed or have employment the isn't cookie cutter/desirable to publicize. Its interesting how the career trajectories (or lack there of) of people I know + myself (I am employed, but in an function and industry that is not a traditional MPP pathway and in no thanks to the program) is not advertised. Oh and the McKinsey guy is a support person Chinese international student and not a front line Consultant. 

- If you don't want to live in New York City  area / Northeast after school, get rid of NYU Wagner. It has a strong national brand, but its career trajectories are strongly regional

- GW will give you an awesome scholarship, but if you do care about brand prestige, it won't do you any favors from a brand prospective, especially since you already have an awesome undergrad brand.

I recommend you Add at least 2 of the 3: 

- Carnegie Melon Heinz (look into their DC campus options too if you don't like Pittsburgh)

- Duke Terry Sanford - probably one of the best options for domestic policy. They also do really well for State and Local

- U. Michigan - Ford Schools - this for you would probably be a good safety (I don't normally say that ever for anyone, but I think you are an exceptional case. Note - this is probably one of the harder quant schools). 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

22 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

Let me try to simplify you life:

*First off - you are EXTREMELY competitive, and I can see you be competitive for almost any school you apply to

1. Figure out if you want full time vs. part-time.

I strongly recommend against part-time because the bottom line is that you will get a sub-part experience just by virtue of time limitations alone (let alone school programming challenges). If you want to go the financially conservative route, feel free to apply part-time. However... you will have could ofs... should ofs for the rest of your life. Also, expect next to no meaningful networking from the part time programs. I knew 0 McCourt part-time folks who didn't work for Georgetown who managed to work for the community.

If you do part-time --> Its between Georgetown vs. GW... you basically snagging a brand, so you might as well go for Georgetown

If you decide to full time -->

2. Decide if you want a quant heavier or quant low experience. 

If you are okay with quant low (or quant lower, then Oxford, Cambridge, and NYU Wagner should work for you (I don't know LSE well enough). Just appreciate that you won't really be gaining any meaningful marketable technical skills. You are just doing theory and getting case study exposure. 

I strongly recommend a quant heavier program because if you go to grad school, you might as well come away with a meaningful marketable skill.

If you go quant heavier route -->

3. Get rid of the schools that don't have robust programming to help you with your career (as in they don't have the world's best track record with putting their people in the most competitive public policy careers). 

Get Rid:

- So get rid of McCourt MPP (on their website, the career outcomes is actually misleading if you read in between the lines because they only advertise those that they keep track of.... approximately 25% to 33% (depending on year) they conveniently don't have data for or do not care to publish. What this allows them to do is mask those who aren't employed or have employment the isn't cookie cutter/desirable to publicize. Its interesting how the career trajectories (or lack there of) of people I know + myself (I am employed, but in an function and industry that is not a traditional MPP pathway and in no thanks to the program) is not advertised. Oh and the McKinsey guy is a support person Chinese international student and not a front line Consultant. 

- If you don't want to live in New York City  area / Northeast after school, get rid of NYU Wagner. It has a strong national brand, but its career trajectories are strongly regional

- GW will give you an awesome scholarship, but if you do care about brand prestige, it won't do you any favors from a brand prospective, especially since you already have an awesome undergrad brand.

I recommend you Add at least 2 of the 3: 

- Carnegie Melon Heinz (look into their DC campus options too if you don't like Pittsburgh)

- Duke Terry Sanford - probably one of the best options for domestic policy. They also do really well for State and Local

- U. Michigan - Ford Schools - this for you would probably be a good safety (I don't normally say that ever for anyone, but I think you are an exceptional case. Note - this is probably one of the harder quant schools). 

Thank you so much for your advice!! I appreciate your insight as you brought up several things I hadn't considered before. I  am trying to cull the list a little bit because there are so many right now that it'll be pretty challenging for me to finish the applications for all of them in time. But at the same time, I'm trying to cover all of my bases because I'm not super 100% sure of which way I might go. One consideration is that although I see myself working after finishing the degree, I'd like to leave open the possibility for law school or PhD. To address your comments:

1. With regard to part-time vs. full-time, I agree that full-time is probably better, but would still like to leave the option for part-time open just in case. In that case, would you say I should just apply to McCourt and leave out Trachtenberg? If I got into both I'd probably choose McCourt, but applying to Trachtenberg too isn't that much additional work since they just require an SOP and the deadline is late.

2. With regard to the quantitative aspect, I completely agree that if you're paying to get a master's degree you may as well get some concrete marketable skills. That being said, I don't love quantitative stuff, and I would like to keep my GPA as high as possible in case I end up pursuing law school or PhD. Thus, a happy medium would be ideal, which probably rules out something like Ford. But maybe I don't need to apply to all 3 of the British programs..?

3. I take your point about McCourt, and I would probably only go there if it was part-time. That being said, the connections/brand there would probably be pretty strong given the likelihood that I will stay in the DMV area if I work in the legislative or executive branches.

In terms of the overall list: I decided to get rid of NYU because, as you pointed out, their placement outcomes in terms of field and region don't align with my interests. I agree with your recommendation to add Sanford, so I will apply, but I think Ford may be too quantitative. If you don't mind, I would love to know more detail about why you recommended Heinz specifically, as I'm not super interested in CMU/Pittsburg.

Finally, I am interested in what you think of adding Harris, Goldman, or LBJ.

• Harris seems to have placements that are pretty concentrated in the midwest but also are more spread out and more in line with what I want to do. I get the feeling it's slightly more "academically" inclined as well which meshes well with me. I would say this is the one I'm most likely to add.
  • I saw that Goldman's placements are actually heavily concentrated in California, but that seems very odd to me since it's so highly ranked overall. Is it maybe because the brand isn't as well known? To me it is mostly tempting to apply because of the ranking.
  • Finally, I know that LBJ's placements are super focused on Texas, but I am originally from Texas and it would probably be super cheap to attend, which makes it hard to say no to. 

In summary, here is the current list, and I would love any excuse to take one or some of them off to make it easier on myself: HKS, Trachtenberg, McCourt, Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, SPIA, Sanford (and under consideration: Harris, Goldman, LBJ)

Sorry this is a million words long and thank you again for taking the time to help me!! I really appreciate any thoughts you have!

36 minutes ago, TKMPP said:

Thank you so much for your advice!! I appreciate your insight as you brought up several things I hadn't considered before. I  am trying to cull the list a little bit because there are so many right now that it'll be pretty challenging for me to finish the applications for all of them in time. But at the same time, I'm trying to cover all of my bases because I'm not super 100% sure of which way I might go. One consideration is that although I see myself working after finishing the degree, I'd like to leave open the possibility for law school or PhD. To address your comments:

1. With regard to part-time vs. full-time, I agree that full-time is probably better, but would still like to leave the option for part-time open just in case. In that case, would you say I should just apply to McCourt and leave out Trachtenberg? If I got into both I'd probably choose McCourt, but applying to Trachtenberg too isn't that much additional work since they just require an SOP and the deadline is late.

2. With regard to the quantitative aspect, I completely agree that if you're paying to get a master's degree you may as well get some concrete marketable skills. That being said, I don't love quantitative stuff, and I would like to keep my GPA as high as possible in case I end up pursuing law school or PhD. Thus, a happy medium would be ideal, which probably rules out something like Ford. But maybe I don't need to apply to all 3 of the British programs..?

3. I take your point about McCourt, and I would probably only go there if it was part-time. That being said, the connections/brand there would probably be pretty strong given the likelihood that I will stay in the DMV area if I work in the legislative or executive branches.

In terms of the overall list: I decided to get rid of NYU because, as you pointed out, their placement outcomes in terms of field and region don't align with my interests. I agree with your recommendation to add Sanford, so I will apply, but I think Ford may be too quantitative. If you don't mind, I would love to know more detail about why you recommended Heinz specifically, as I'm not super interested in CMU/Pittsburg.

Finally, I am interested in what you think of adding Harris, Goldman, or LBJ.

• Harris seems to have placements that are pretty concentrated in the midwest but also are more spread out and more in line with what I want to do. I get the feeling it's slightly more "academically" inclined as well which meshes well with me. I would say this is the one I'm most likely to add.
  • I saw that Goldman's placements are actually heavily concentrated in California, but that seems very odd to me since it's so highly ranked overall. Is it maybe because the brand isn't as well known? To me it is mostly tempting to apply because of the ranking.
  • Finally, I know that LBJ's placements are super focused on Texas, but I am originally from Texas and it would probably be super cheap to attend, which makes it hard to say no to. 

In summary, here is the current list, and I would love any excuse to take one or some of them off to make it easier on myself: HKS, Trachtenberg, McCourt, Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, SPIA, Sanford (and under consideration: Harris, Goldman, LBJ)

Sorry this is a million words long and thank you again for taking the time to help me!! I really appreciate any thoughts you have!

1. It makes absolutely zero sense for you to do an MPP/MPA and then follow up with law school consecutively. You are adding in time and money and honestly you are not getting any meaningful career benefit.

If you do go that route, it makes more sense for to do it as a dual degree candidate (since its 3 years rather than 4 altogether). That being said, I'm assuming you haven't taken the LSATs yet. Some law schools do take GREs. Not to add to your application load, but you might want to really cull the list and apply to some law schools that let you dual degree too. 

At the very least, consider programs that will let you know go in as one and then dual degree mid-way (Harvard Kennedy School is a good example that lets you do that). 

2. I recommend you don't even think about part-time. What I have seen with some people who do the just "just in case option" is that do the math of opportunity costs and get cold feet with full time. Just like with a marriage, you shouldn't tempt yourself with going to grad school half-assed given your limited career experience. Given your relatively young age, I recommend you either don't go to grad school or go to a good grad school. 

Also, not to be mean about it, but the average part-time student in MPP is less competitive than the average full-time MPP student at McCourt. Given someone of your calibre, I am assuming that you are a go-getter type person. Yes, I have known one or two part-time rock stars, but they stood out because they were the extreme exception. They would also be the first to admit about how annoyed they are with the program + their peers + opportunities. Also, I think you would be the best backgrounded part-timer at McCourt I have ever met / heard of. You never want to be the most capable person anywhere - that means you have limited real learning opportunities. You also have to appreciate that within the Georgetown community at large, McCourt isn't exactly highly regarded. Its actually the black sheep school. So to the wider world, Georgetown is Georgetown, awesome. However to Georgetown alums, it helps, but it is McCourt and not a more well-regarded program like MSFS, Law, MBA, Nursing, Med, or even CCT. 

3. Chicago Harris and Michigan Ford - I would say are some of the more quant heavy school period. Harris is academically inclined, but is academically inclined in the sense of being quant heavy. Michigan Ford is so too. If you don't want to do too intense quant then don't touch these places.

I recommend you look at Carnegie Melon Heinz because granted they are quant high top (but I believe less than Harris and Ford) because:

a. They have the DC campus option - whereby you do 1 year in Pittsburgh and your 2nd Year in DC. https://www.heinz.cmu.edu/programs/public-policy-management-master/washington-dc

I think this would be a good back for you if you don't get into HKS and etc.

Plus - your first year of school is so crazy focused on academics anyway, might as well do somewhere with a lower cost of living + get back in touch with non-DC America.

b. I have been impressed by every single person I have ever met from Heinz (Policy Conferences / Competitions). Every single one of them that I have met are really up to speed on the latest and greatest in policy innovation and experimentation in the space that they have chosen to focus on. 

4. Goldman is very West Coast Policy. In over simplistic terms - California and the Pacific Northwest to a lesser extent have noticeably different policy dynamics vs. the rest of the country, especially the East Coast. Of course some of their people go to DC, but it is very much a regional school.

5. LBJ is a great program and there are lots of niche policy areas that you can play in. HOWEVER, if you want to get back to DC, you don't really get an advantage with LBJ. 

6. SPIA... you do realize that SPIA (formerly known as Woodrow Wilson) is probably the most quant intense program out there??? Also, I do believe it has the lowest acceptance rate of the MPP programs. I personally don't like SPIA because SPIA is the only professional school in all of Princeton. What does that mean --> Limited collaboration opportunities. I know so many SPIA kids who had to network their way into U. Penn to collaborate on stuff (i.e. education). 

To make your life easier, I recommend.

Reach (it is a reach for everyone)

1. HKS - MPP

2. Oxford - MPP (in case you want to resort to a lower cost option)... use this instead of part time.

Target

3. Duke Terry Sanford

For Scholarship Money/Safety

4. Carnegie Melon Heinz

5. LBJ

Also consider law schools to dual degree with (note on top of the GRE or LSAT, Law Schools require you to go through ICAS now (so more fees for applications) https://www.lsac.org/applying-law-school/jd-application-process/credential-assembly-service-cas

1. Harvard Law School (I think they take the GREs now).

2. Duke Law School (I think they also take the GREs)

3. Georgetown Law School (I think they also take GREs).

I can't speak to Duke, but I do believe that Harvard Law School and Georgetown Law School lets you switch hit dual degree with schools they have partnerships with (so for example, Harvard Kennedy School MPP 1 year and 2 years at Georgetown Law). 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

Hi all, I’m new to this forum, and please let me know if this post is not in line with the rules or I’m posting under a wrong topic. Would be happy to chat with anyone!

Long story short. I’m majoring in journalism as an undergrad now, but aiming to study MPP in the States. I have two NGO internship experiences. However, the biggest problem is that my quant background is very very weak. Have only taken Principle of Economics and Statistics for Economics during undergrad. Both aren’t very typical economics/math courses. Other relevant econ/math courses (eg. micro/macro/stat) will have time clashes with my core major courses next year (my senior year). Now, my friends are suggesting me to apply as a visiting student at some prestigious US universities for spring semester & take these quant courses. 

My concerns are:

1. It will cost around 30,000USD to take three/four quant courses online. I’m lucky that my family is very supportive of my master’s education, but blowing that extra 30k will probably be another financial burden. I don’t think if it’s worth it.
2. I will be a full-time intern (Mon-Fri, 9-6) and a full-time student at the same time. Maybe I can resign, but is it worth it?
3. How important is quant background in admission? I scored 167 in GRE, but all my friends got 170, and they keep telling me 167 isn’t enough / I haven’t taken enough quant courses.
4. Are there any other ways for me to make up my lack of quant background? I see that North Arizona University also opens winter/spring courses, but my friends say they are not “prestigious/good” enough to prove my quant ability.
5. Most importantly, what schools should I target during my application?

Here’s some of my basic info:

Applying to (considering):  Columbia SIPA MPA, Chicago Harris MPP, Georgetown McCourt MPP, Berkeley Goldman MPP, Michigan Ford MPP; Johns Hopkins SAIS; Cornell MPA; UPenn MPA

Undergraduate Institution: a local Asian university

Current status: taking a gap year as a full-year intern at a UN agency, rising senior 

GPA: 3.85/4.0 Journalism

GRE: 161V 167Q 4.5AW

Quant Background: Principle of Economics and Statistics for Economics

Relevant Work Experience: the UN internship now, intern at a local NGO before, intern at a big US newspaper (probably not that relevant)

International experience:  An exchange year in Europe. An internship in Australia. 

1 hour ago, le_printemps_arrive said:

Hi all, I’m new to this forum, and please let me know if this post is not in line with the rules or I’m posting under a wrong topic. Would be happy to chat with anyone!

Long story short. I’m majoring in journalism as an undergrad now, but aiming to study MPP in the States. I have two NGO internship experiences. However, the biggest problem is that my quant background is very very weak. Have only taken Principle of Economics and Statistics for Economics during undergrad. Both aren’t very typical economics/math courses. Other relevant econ/math courses (eg. micro/macro/stat) will have time clashes with my core major courses next year (my senior year). Now, my friends are suggesting me to apply as a visiting student at some prestigious US universities for spring semester & take these quant courses. 

My concerns are:

1. It will cost around 30,000USD to take three/four quant courses online. I’m lucky that my family is very supportive of my master’s education, but blowing that extra 30k will probably be another financial burden. I don’t think if it’s worth it.
2. I will be a full-time intern (Mon-Fri, 9-6) and a full-time student at the same time. Maybe I can resign, but is it worth it?
3. How important is quant background in admission? I scored 167 in GRE, but all my friends got 170, and they keep telling me 167 isn’t enough / I haven’t taken enough quant courses.
4. Are there any other ways for me to make up my lack of quant background? I see that North Arizona University also opens winter/spring courses, but my friends say they are not “prestigious/good” enough to prove my quant ability.
5. Most importantly, what schools should I target during my application?

Here’s some of my basic info:

Applying to (considering):  Columbia SIPA MPA, Chicago Harris MPP, Georgetown McCourt MPP, Berkeley Goldman MPP, Michigan Ford MPP; Johns Hopkins SAIS; Cornell MPA; UPenn MPA

Undergraduate Institution: a local Asian university

Current status: taking a gap year as a full-year intern at a UN agency, rising senior 

GPA: 3.85/4.0 Journalism

GRE: 161V 167Q 4.5AW

Quant Background: Principle of Economics and Statistics for Economics

Relevant Work Experience: the UN internship now, intern at a local NGO before, intern at a big US newspaper (probably not that relevant)

International experience:  An exchange year in Europe. An internship in Australia. 

Recommendation --> don't go to grad school. Get a job... build your career and go to grad school once you have at least 2 years experience and can apply in a less competitive application cycle.

Here is the deal:

1. The only two schools I think you might have a moderate chance of getting into are Cornell MPA and UPenn MPA. Although the Universities have a great reputation, I recommend all people to avoid their MPA programs (even if they get scholarships) because the programming, resources, and structure simply isn't there. Basically, there are much better things you can do with your life and career in most cases the go to those schools - especially in your situation. Keep in mind that this year is going to be more competitive than previous years with a massive surge of Americans applying to grad school during a bad economy. If Joe Biden wins the election, you'll probably have an uptick of international student applications too.

2. Being a full time student + full time job/internship (whatever you want to call it) is INSANE and a terrible idea. First, I doubt you can pull it off in this economic environment where it is next to impossible for an international student to get an off campus job. With University budgets being slashed, its probably harder to get an on campus job as well. Second, its drastically diminishes the quality of your graduate school experience. I know two people who did it (Americans) and hated their lives.

3. Your true weakness isn't your lack of quant or 3 points lower GRE score. It is your lack of professional work experience. Schools are willing to take more risk on someone with a lower quant background if they have quality professional work experience. If you want to go to a good MPP program straight from undergrad with full time work experience, you need to be a crazy rock star. The people I know who did it had at least 3.7 GPA, publication credentials under their belt, top notch quant (like math Econ or engineering classes), higher brand University, and prestigious internships + 90 percentile GREs. You got some of those, but missing some. 

Additionally, your degree isn't seen as academically difficult. If you had professional experience that went with it (I knew someone who worked at a major US newspaper with a journalism degree), you degree can work to your favor and make you diverse. However, journalism as a degree without quant classes makes a admissions committee question your ability to graduate. Policy schools are very sensitive to international students struggling to graduate because it looks bad on the school and they have recent scar tissue of admitting large number of Chinese students and many of them struggled to graduate due to a combination of language issues, struggling culturally with class participation, and academic backgrounds that were less relevant for the MPP class material. 

4. You need to make new friends. You don't need to go to a prestigious school to take quant classes to prove your quant capabilities. All you need to do is to take classes online from a respected accredited US institution. I did it through Colorado State and Michigan State (one tick up above Northern Arizona). I'm sure there are many other ways to do it. Please understand what really matters is how difficult your classes are and the grades you get. A school would look more favorably with you getting an A in advanced calculus based econometrics or mechanical engineering than a B+ from Cornell doing Calculus Level 2. 

Also, keep in mind, different policy schools may be looking for different things. Schools that have a robust summer school (like U. Chicago Harris) probably are looking for general quant competency (which you can get with professional experience). Schools like Princeton SPIA or HKS are looking for proof of econometrics and calculus. Schools like McCourt are simply looking for some math based Econ with some basic calculus art a minimum (obviously if you have econometrics, that only helps you). EVERY SCHOOL is different. HOWEVER even if you take these classes and get As, you might not be able to get accepted due to your lack of work experience. 

5. I'm curious what you mean by local Asian University. The deal is that policy grad programs as recently as 3 years ago was flooded with Chinese international students, and then a lot of schools realized they are over-reliant on Chinese international students and it wasn't good for their diversity. How Chinese international students are viewed these days in terms of diversity probably varies by school. HOWEVER, I have talked to non-Chinese international students who are very sought after in bringing in diversity. This might be one of your key advantages if you are non-Chinese. HOWEVER... it doesn't not overcome the doubts any admissions person would have about your ability to graduate given your lack of quant classes. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

Hey everyone,

Thanks for read! Quite value your feedback. Cheers!

Undergraduate institution: Top three American university
Undergraduate GPA: 3.85
GRE Quantitative Score: 166
GRE Verbal Score: 170

Quant Background: Minimal, though I'm hoping my decent GRE quant score shows that I'm competent enough. (Thoughts?)

Schools applying to:  HKS MPP, Oxford MPP, Princeton/SPIA MPA, Columbia/SIPA MPP, Stanford/Ford Dorsey MA in International Policy
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 6
Years of Work Experience: 6
Describe Relevant Work Experience: A unique position in a government office.
Strength of LORs: I believe strong. Though not sure if it would be considered problematic if all three of my LORs come from the same job.