Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Gradcafe, I need your help. I've been asked to review a book for a respected journal. They sent me a hardcover copy, and I'm about halfway through it.

It's bad. It's horrifyingly bad. Errors of both grammar and syntax abound (misspelling the names of the authors whose work is cited, using the word "barbaric" four times in three sentences). One page contradicts the next. There are 8 "parts" and 25 "chapters" in a 250-page book, so nothing substantive really gets said. The authors misrepresent the literature badly, ie, completely misread Fukuyama's "end of history" argument (just a popular example, among many others more specific to my subfield). They rehash arguments that have been roundly dismissed, triumphantly stating a claim (previously and widely disproven) without evidence. They decry certain narratives and then fall into the same trap in the next chapter. From what I can tell, at least half of what I've read is entirely descriptive, with no analysis. And to top it off, where there is analysis, it's usually just... wrong.

So: what to do? Write a scathing review, as an obviously young scholar, and look like a petulant jerk trying to make a name? Damn with faint praise? Hedge on everything and express reservations?

Well it appears I was right to end my cycle, Michigan State has denied my application.

Congrats to all those who were admitted this weekend and I wish everyone the very best of weeks while they wait to hear back. I am sure you will all do great work.

Edit: Balderbash what I was always told when reviewing or editing is to praise, criticize, and then praise again. Unfortunately from your description, there is little praise in this book.

Edited by grantman

Gradcafe, I need your help. I've been asked to review a book for a respected journal. They sent me a hardcover copy, and I'm about halfway through it.

It's bad. It's horrifyingly bad. Errors of both grammar and syntax abound (misspelling the names of the authors whose work is cited, using the word "barbaric" four times in three sentences). One page contradicts the next. There are 8 "parts" and 25 "chapters" in a 250-page book, so nothing substantive really gets said. The authors misrepresent the literature badly, ie, completely misread Fukuyama's "end of history" argument (just a popular example, among many others more specific to my subfield). They rehash arguments that have been roundly dismissed, triumphantly stating a claim (previously and widely disproven) without evidence. They decry certain narratives and then fall into the same trap in the next chapter. From what I can tell, at least half of what I've read is entirely descriptive, with no analysis. And to top it off, where there is analysis, it's usually just... wrong.

So: what to do? Write a scathing review, as an obviously young scholar, and look like a petulant jerk trying to make a name? Damn with faint praise? Hedge on everything and express reservations?But

Criticize. But you should also emphasize pros and cons. Logically unpack why their argument doesn't make sense...no one can fault you for that.

Definitely find good with the bad. Summarize your grammar/syntax issues with something like "Obviously the language is loose and needs work, but let's focus on concepts." If an idea is interesting, even if it isn't well-founded, say it's interesting. If the attempt to make a contribution is novel, say so. And then raise concerns with execution.

I recently had to do something similar. I agree with what has been stated above - try to identify the most valuable contributions of the text, and only then mention your concerns. Try to keep your concerns as closely related to the content you consider worthwhile as possible so it doesn't seem you're simply bashing in a general way.

Edit: Also, dear Columbia, Berkeley, and Yale - please just reject me already if this is how it's going to be. I need to book plane tickets!

Edited by saltlakecity2012

Keep your head high,buddy! I have the same fate with you. Do believe that when one door shuts down, another door will open.

Well it appears I was right to end my cycle, Michigan State has denied my application.

Congrats to all those who were admitted this weekend and I wish everyone the very best of weeks while they wait to hear back. I am sure you will all do great work.

Edit: Balderbash what I was always told when reviewing or editing is to praise, criticize, and then praise again. Unfortunately from your description, there is little praise in this book.

Edit: Also, dear Columbia, Berkeley, and Yale - please just reject me already if this is how it's going to be. I need to book plane tickets!

I am so on board with this. If I'm not going to be accepted I would rather just know right now. I mean, I guess everybody feels this way though.

Princeton and Yale don't recognize President's day as a holiday. Harvard does.

What about Stanford? I am still waiting for my rejection (from GSB). Last year they sent it out one day after acceptances. First acceptance was posted on Friday... so I wonder if there is still hope.

Update for those of you who haven't heard from Columbia. DGS says if you haven't gotten an email yet, you're not accepted and they're already notified the wait list.

So you know, we can all be in the same boat.

Thanks. That's disappointing. One of my top choices, but I feel lucky to have a good offer. Appreciate you checking on this.

On that note, are we all pretty sure Yale is done as well? That would mean I'm only waiting on Princeton and GW.

I think the received wisdom is that Yale is done but with their torturous drip of acceptances, who knows? Also waiting on Princeton, then the cycle is over for me. I didn't apply to GW - so I have no information, I'm sure others do!

Best of luck!

Justin.

Yes and no: if it's next weekend, you've almost certainly been rejected/waitlisted. If it's April, then perhaps you're still in limbo.

Where is the line drawn? I would think at around a month in advance of the open house.

Anyone care to speculate as to where this leaves those of us still waiting for a decision from Northwestern (given their open house dates are March 1st-3rd)?

Anyone care to speculate as to where this leaves those of us still waiting for a decision from Northwestern (given their open house dates are March 1st-3rd)?

I've also yet to hear about NW. I honestly have no idea what's going on, but I would guess we're in an informal waitlist situation or they simply haven't gotten to the bottom of the rejections list.

I've also yet to hear about NW. I honestly have no idea what's going on, but I would guess we're in an informal waitlist situation or they simply haven't gotten to the bottom of the rejections list.

Same situation. Honestly their "check the website, we're not even going to bother contacting you" mentality is a little frustrating but they're definitely kind and sympathetic when you call - so maybe a grad school-wide policy?

I recieved a second email from MIT just now, informing me of their looming deadline for their one year Master of Finace program.

I think it's just a blast email from some GRE targeted marketing thing, so I'm not thinking anything of it; besides, I'm already in an M.A. program, so picking up a second in a different field, while kinda nifty, would probably only make for even higher debt.

...And finance is not a profession I should be going into, as my quantitative GRE scores are admitedly the weakest component in my application armory XD

MIT remains the only PhD program I have heard anything from as of yet though, so this blast email is only adding to my desire to hear from the others.

Just called the UPenn polisci dept to ask if all the acceptances have already been out and it was confirmed that I'm unofficially out. So, if you haven't heard from them, you're out. Not pleasant news but wanted to share.

I'm on the same boat with other NW people, still no movement in my page....This is such a painful waiting period.

Does anyone else feel weird now that that season seems to be winding down? There aren't many schools left to worry about, and we are now facing a different type of challenge. The wait is not so much of an issue anymore. Now, we are left with the burden of making a decision that will shape our future. That's not intimidating at all.

It feels like such a grown-up decision to be making. Choosing my undergraduate institution was easy, but I think that selecting a graduate institution will be exponentially more difficult.

Does anyone else feel this way, or am I alone?

ETA: Princeton has apparently started making calls. I'm now glued to my phone.

Edited by ohsnap