Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

I'm totally with you on the almost-car-accident-causing part - I was so shocked that I had trouble formulating sentences for about the first 2 hours after I got the email.

Are you in too? What do you study? And where were you when you heard?

I have received 1 acceptance and 2 official rejections but all the other schools where people report that they received rejection letters seem to not want to reject me:) nothing in my profiles, no emails wahtsoever...wtf? What's going on especially at NU and ND?

I emailed the ND DGS yesterday, Christina Wolbrecht, asking about when notifications will be all out, and was told that they have started sending them out but that it is an "on-going process that will likely not be resolved for several weeks," but that they would notify me as soon as possible.

I emailed the ND DGS yesterday, Christina Wolbrecht, asking about when notifications will be all out, and was told that they have started sending them out but that it is an "on-going process that will likely not be resolved for several weeks," but that they would notify me as soon as possible.

thank you for checking this out and sharing it. I think they're entertaining themselves with our names in the unofficial waiting list department.

Does anyone have any idea as to what Georgetown's or GWU's processes are?

If I remember correctly from past years' results, it seems as though they start at the beginning of March with acceptances.

Edited by CairoKid

For the NU applicant, rejection is on the website. Not on GATS, but the at the applyyourself.

Claiming a Northwestern rejection here. You know what would have been cool, an email telling us to check the website rather than just sorta randomly finding it. Silliness.

Are you in too? What do you study? And where were you when you heard?

Yes, I'm in, too :) I do comparative political economy / IPE. A weird mixture of stuff that is mostly covered under that umbrella.

I was sitting on my bed when I heard, idly browsing grad cafe, and when I saw the email I steeled myself for what I assumed was a rejection, only to shriek in disbelief when I saw "Congratulations." I scared the crap out of my roommates. I then spent the next few hours driving around like a zombie. I still feel a bit like I've been partially lobotomized, or hit over the head with a 2x4. Hopefully that will wear off by September...

This whole process has been crazy - for various reasons (including the baseline shocking level of competition) I didn't think I would make it in this round, so saying I'm pleasantly surprised is something of an understatement!

Yeehaw! Berkeley rejection! Last name at the beginning of the alphabet, so maybe that's why. Not sweating the decision in the least; was already admitted to my top choice and perfect fit. I think fit (and the hand of God--haha, no, that's not a joke) really played a big role for me. In fact, the more I research my top choice, the more I realize how good the fit is. Anyway, my two cents is that I think fit is obviously important for some apps, maybe especially if you have interests outside/across sub-discipline boundaries or general interests outside of the mainstream. I feel like that would fit me, balderdash, saltlakecity2012, etc. Just a petit theory to throw out there.

But congratulations to all those in at Yale and Harvard, and to whomever ends up at Berkeley! I'm super pumped for you guys and already proud of what you'll do! The key for ALL of us is to bloom where we're planted, no matter where that is, and to do kick-butt research and hang out at conferences. That's what I'm signing up for...who's with me?

Anyone has any information on how Harvard wait list works? Do they accept people off when admitted students turn them down, or do they expect to admit fewer students than admitted, hence won't take people from wait list unless many accepted students run away (which is unlikely to happen)?

Anyone has any information on how Harvard wait list works? Do they accept people off when admitted students turn them down, or do they expect to admit fewer students than admitted, hence won't take people from wait list unless many accepted students run away (which is unlikely to happen)?

I think places like Harvard and Princeton admit close to the amount that they are budgeted for, unlike a place like Duke or Chicago which according to online stats accepts 46ish people a year and gets a class of 18. Based on the emails with the DGS of Princeton I have had it seems as if a few people have to leave for a person on the waitlist to be called up.

Edited by kolja00

Yeehaw! Berkeley rejection! Last name at the beginning of the alphabet, so maybe that's why. Not sweating the decision in the least; was already admitted to my top choice and perfect fit. I think fit (and the hand of God--haha, no, that's not a joke) really played a big role for me. In fact, the more I research my top choice, the more I realize how good the fit is. Anyway, my two cents is that I think fit is obviously important for some apps, maybe especially if you have interests outside/across sub-discipline boundaries or general interests outside of the mainstream. I feel like that would fit me, balderdash, saltlakecity2012, etc. Just a petit theory to throw out there.

But congratulations to all those in at Yale and Harvard, and to whomever ends up at Berkeley! I'm super pumped for you guys and already proud of what you'll do! The key for ALL of us is to bloom where we're planted, no matter where that is, and to do kick-butt research and hang out at conferences. That's what I'm signing up for...who's with me?

Congratulations on being in at your top choice - that is totally awesome, and you will totally rock that sh*t.

I definitely think you're right - I'm out at a few programs and in at others, and I would guess that it mostly comes down to fit. For example - in at Yale, out at Columbia (still waiting on that letter...). Although, I did kind of think I was a good match for Columbia. They clearly disagreed! My interests are very much a blend of IR, CP, and CPE/IPE, and my options are schools where I could put together a close-to-ideal dissertation committee for what I want to do. I think that's kind of the tradeoff with having a somewhat less mainstream area of interest - on the one hand, you stand out and are interesting. On the other hand, you have to demonstrate that you actually have serious ideas and the skills to conduct serious research - you're not just a weirdo.

In a similar vein, I think something that worked in my favor this admissions cycle is the fact that I had one particular element of my application that made me stand out (I don't mean that made me a higher-quality applicant - I just mean it probably got me a second look because it was unusual). I went to work in a very weird country full-time during what would have been my junior year of college, and then came back and graduated. I was able to tie my current research interests back to that experience, and establish a convincing narrative to demonstrate my commitment to research in my field of interest beginning with that point. My advisors and others who gave me feedback during the application process told me to emphasize that narrative. Just thought I'd pass that along for anyone who comes along for Fall 2013.

I think places like Harvard and Princeton admit close to the amount that they are budgeted for, unlike a place like Duke or Chicago which according to online stats accepts 46ish people a year and gets a class of 18. Based on the emails with the DGS of Princeton I have had it seems as if a few people have to leave for a person on the waitlist to be called up.

Thanks very much for your information. I wonder how many does Princeton admit, Harvard was 27, don't know if Princeton has a larger cohort

So I go to bed early one night, and I miss Yale and Harvard admits, with Princeton, Berkeley, Columbia, and Northwestern rejects. Sounds about right.

I haven't heard from Yale or Berkeley, but I got the official Princeton and Northwestern rejection (like others, I just discovered it online).

@wmplax: thanks, but I'm really not that upset about doing worse with P this year. It's just the way it works, and I don't think they owe me anything. It is kind of cruel, but so is the world, wot wot?

So I go to bed early one night, and I miss Yale and Harvard admits, with Princeton, Berkeley, Columbia, and Northwestern rejects. Sounds about right.

So are you set for Madison? If so, I think funding may not be so big a concern since I heard some people get external fellowships and grants.

So, while I still have GWU outstanding, my cycle is pretty much over. I will wait and see what happens with GW and with the UNC wait list, as I do really like their program, and want to make sure i consider all my options carefully, but even if I get in there, I suspect I'm going to be in New York next year, which I am THRILLED about. If I could go back and give one piece of advice to people applying next year (and I'll put this in the other thread too) it would be this. Listen to what people say about your SOP, read examples, all of that. Be informed BUT at the end of the day, follow your gut. For the most part, the people giving you advice don't know everything about your background. Even your advisers often don't know details or may have forgotten them. I got SO caught up in trying to express X or Y or whatever, that I went back and reread my SOP the other day and realized I didn't once mention 3 major aspects of my education/training that are super unusual and interesting (not to mention kind of central to my research). It's not that X and Y weren't important to say, but so were lots of other things that I didn't say. That being said, it all worked out for the best in the end, as I think that I am going to be EXTREMELY happy at NYU. If I had it to do over I again though, I would actually listen to my gut a bit more.

So are you set for Madison? If so, I think funding may not be so big a concern since I heard some people get external fellowships and grants.

I was lucky enough to get a University Fellowship, so funding will be more than adequate years 1 and 4. As for years 2, 3, and 5, I'll have to sort out some external monies. But on the whole, I believe I'll be headed to Madison with adequate finances.

When I got my acceptance back in January, I met with my boss/recommender, who does the work closest to what I want to do. He urged me to attend Madison irrespective of decisions from YPS. When I noted the funding differences, he agreed and told me to follow the money, but that "for serious qualitative Africanist work, even Princeton won't match the training and reputation of Madison." Anyway, the point is that while my little heart will regret the lack of opportunities to wear an orange bow-tie, truly the best option in the long run is the school to which I am headed. So I'm elated that it has worked out.

So, while I still have GWU outstanding, my cycle is pretty much over.

I had not posted so far, but I really enjoyed the opportunity to read your posts and lessen the anxiety of last days. It was also thrilling to watch the results unfolding, particularly the late great news that some of you thought were impossible. I hope that all of you still waiting will have reasons to celebrate soon. For those who will try again, I wish all the energy and enthusiasm. In the blink of an eye, it will be Feb of 2013. I am sure that many quiet observers like me are also grateful for your activity in this forum, and that they are wishing the best for all of you.

Megan, are you planning to visit NY and NC? I might do the same.

Megan, are you planning to visit NY and NC? I might do the same.

Yes to NY, but I unfortunately can't make the visitors weekend, so I am trying to plan to visit on my own about a week later.

Now that this cycle is mostly over I don't mind being a bit more specifically open about my personal history I guess. I actually did (am finishing the international portion of as we speak) my MA at UNC, so given the amount of travel that's going to happen in the next little while for me (Spain-NY-TN-AL-TN-NY-Spain-Bosnia), I will probably not go visit UNC (I'm even skipping my MA graduation, actually). I can however tell anybody who is interested anything they want to know about my experience there. I will say that every professor I interacted with at UNC was beyond amazing, and I absolutely LOVED being at UNC, and loved living in the Chapel Hill area, hence why it will be under serious consideration if I am accepted. So, feel free to PM with questions if anybody's interested in what I can tell you. The MA is really separate from the PhD so I can't tell you about the PhD process, but I can tell you a good bit about resources, life in the town, UNC in general, etc...

Edited by Megan

Out of interest, the person who reported this on the survey:

Sloppy rejection letter. Plus having talked to Princeton grad students, I know that my prospective supervisor was 'difficult' and doubted whether I would like to be in a 5 year relationship with him/her. No regrets and much happier going elsewhere.

Any chance this concerns a certain Europeanist? What with the stories I heard, I can't help but think it's him.