Applying for Fall 2012

comp12

Nope, I am not a primary music technologist - I just occasionally write the fixed media piece or use Max MSP for some live processing. Oh well, maybe less people means less competition for you :)

I think I once did something in Max MSP. Like, connected one object to another something. Then I gave up and went back to my piano. (Then, after flagrantly disrespecting Mozart and Debussy, I went back to reading books)

Nope, not applying to media labs this round. Last year I was accepted to NYU Steinhardt's Music Technology program but couldn't afford it.

Well, this is my first post and I'm too nervous to waste any time with an introduction - is anyone else's application to Cornell (musicology) still listed as incomplete, even though all materials are listed as received? Should I be contacting someone about this? Help me!

Well, this is my first post and I'm too nervous to waste any time with an introduction - is anyone else's application to Cornell (musicology) still listed as incomplete, even though all materials are listed as received? Should I be contacting someone about this? Help me!

Hi! I just emailed to check on this, actually. Judging by other boards here I think it's a common thing.

And because I'm desperate for more musical camaraderie I hope you give us an introduction!!

Hi! I just emailed to check on this, actually. Judging by other boards here I think it's a common thing.

And because I'm desperate for more musical camaraderie I hope you give us an introduction!!

Ahh, ok. Did you email the department? I'm incredibly confused by those directory listings on the website.

And now that I can breathe again - hi everyone. I'm applying mostly for ethnomusicology programs but also to a few musicology departments that offer ethno as an area of focus. I'm interested in the ethnomusicology of Western music, so being able to take courses with a focus on theory and analysis in addition to ethnographic methods and surveys of world music is important to me. I'm not sure if that makes me an attractive candidate to either ethno or musicology departments, but I've got my fingers crossed. I'm still completing my undergrad and don't have a finished thesis to brag about, but I figured I'd at least get a round of applications in this year for the experience, even if I don't get in (and because I like throwing away hundreds of dollars).

I'd definitely email the department to ask if they could kindly check if all supporting materials have been received and on file. Several of my schools showed incomplete statuses, and I just mentioned it and asked if there's anything more I need to do. All these departments subsequently checked on it, wrote me back not to worry, and then updated the status.

Be sure to email an administrative person or assistant, not bug the faculty directly themselves about it, since faculty usually don't touch application materials until it's time to sit down together for the review.

Welcome to the party! I definitely know people in ethno/musicology who have been successful in gaining admit to top Phd departments straight from undergrad, so it's worth a shot.

Hi rebel rebel! It's always good to meet another prospective ethnomusicologist, so good luck on your apps? If you don't mind me asking, where else are you applying?

I would think Cornell would be a good choice for your rather interdisciplinary interests, as it's a musicology program with a large ethnomusicology influence, but I do know they're searching for a new ethnomusicologist as one is retiring, so it'll be interesting to see who winds up there (I need to check into this). Plus the PhD is completely customizable, in a sense, so you can make sure that all of your bases are covered. Good luck!

I emailed the graduate field assistant whose contact info I got from the music dept's website.

In other news, this chocolate is flavored burnt marshmallow (or maybe s'more but I'm not getting the graham) and it is delicious.

Hah, every time I get an email and it's just from a friend or family member, I'm just like "oh well." Every time I get an email and it's just from something like Facebook telling me what birthdays are this week, I'm just like "UGH, WHY?" Every time I get an email and it's just bacon from some retailer that I've already unsubscribed from I'm just like [REDACTED].

Congrats to SNES on his two positive hear-backs, and to Karajan for his acceptance into Stanford!

Though I must say that I'm rather nervous about Chicago now. Traditionally, ethnomusicologists have been contacted early February whereas others have been contacted late January. I suppose I still have time, but it may be bleak. We'll see.

At least now I can get my mind off of things temporarily with a transcription exercise British Columbia is sending tomorrow for it's ethno applicants. I'm not sure what to expect, but I'm assuming it'll be a Balinese gamelan transcription, which is arguably some of the most difficult music I've come across for transcription purposes. Fun fun.

Edited by eum-ag