Waiting it out 2012... 'I've just submitted my application' thread

fenderpete

I had a heck of a time with my recs, so I feel your pain. I was sitting there harassing my referees nearly daily (after the deadline) trying to be polite and gracious, but also freaking out. One guy even missed the extension I got for him, which didn't help stress levels. Luckily, as others are saying, the schools are pretty nice about issues with recommendations. Good luck getting it all sorted out!

Oh, and I have always used "If" to get my mind straight :) I looked up "Invictus" and also really liked that one; kind of makes me feel prepared for warfare after reading it, ha.

I finally got a hold of my referee & they were really apologetic about this mix up. I even felt bad for them b/c you gotta imagine these professors have so may LORS to write this time of year

Oh and invictus will def help you in those dark & gloomy hours like pledging a fraternity :-)

I'm feeling super-anxious. I had a really great conversation with one of the PIs at the interview weekend I went to, and he's been keeping me updated on my application status and saying really positive things about how it's going, etc. My mum's seen most of the emails he's sent me and keeps saying "I'll be so surprised if you don't get in" etc etc.

And I know I should just sit back and relax and wait for the results -- there's nothing I can do now, after all -- but the good feedback is only making me more stressed because it *is* getting my hopes up (even though I know it shouldn't because there's still a [probably pretty big] chance I won't get accepted, and the rejection will hurt so much more then).

This process is making me beyond crazy. >.<

I normally don't have my phone notify me when I get email. But this month I must know immediately. So I just set up an email filter to sort and label anything from schools and now my phone will only notify me about any new email labeled "school". Hopefully this will help me not check my email constantly... hah. as if. But at least if I'm actually busy and forgetting to check every two minutes, I'll be notified. Now I feel prepared.

I don't know why, when I know my decisions won't be until March, I hold out hope I *might* hear back from someone now anyhow. Yesterday, I received an email from American because my application apparently got sent to the wrong department, and they noticed it while reading my SOP. After I confirmed which program I was applying for, it got sent to them... and now my brain is racing. All I can think is that If they're reading through SOPs right now, maybe I'll hear soon... especially since someone got into the MPA program last week. AND I get all weird nervous knowing that someone might actually be reading what I wrote at this very moment and deciding about me in their mind.

Then, I have my application with Tennessee, which I just now finally got confirmation that my application is complete (after I emailed the department head). As of this morning, the overall grad admissions hasn't even released my file to the department for consideration yet....

I want to hibernate until March!

Edited by bgreenster

As far as my course of study is concermed you don't usually find out till @ the earliest, mid Feb & that's if the school really is excited about you. It seems this year, however, some of the top schools are announcing earlier than usual so who knows right? I have told myself 15 Mar 12, so my hope meter is heavily shackled down to keep it from rising. But come 10 Mar 12, it'll probably be Prometheus Unbound

Are there any programs that change the acceptance status on their website without sending e-mails? I'm trying to figure out whether I should obsessively refresh my e-mail and the status pages or just stick to obsessively refreshing my e-mail.

Hi everyone. Here is my first message :) I got a letter from USC saying that they received my application. Does that mean my application is being reviewed and I could hear back soon about admission status ?

You will probably receive another email saying something like this "We forwarded your file to the department for review. An admission decision will be communicated to you directly by the academic program." after your application has fulfilled all their requirements. Good luck!!!

You will probably receive another email saying something like this "We forwarded your file to the department for review. An admission decision will be communicated to you directly by the academic program." after your application has fulfilled all their requirements. Good luck!!!

Thanks a lot for your interest domnulsl =)

May i ask another question?

''We are in the process of evaluating your application and are missing your areas of interest from your application. Please email your primary area of interest to XX by Thursday, February 2nd'' means that ''we saw your application, maybe! kinda liked it and we need to fill in the blanks''. Or does it mean that ''we are putting your documents together and we need this information''

The word 'evaluating' confused me.

Thanks again!

Edited by alptekinyilmazer

''We are in the process of evaluating your application and are missing your areas of interest from your application. Please email your primary area of interest to XX by Thursday, February 2nd'' means that ''we saw your application, maybe! kinda liked it and we need to fill in the blanks''. Or does it mean that ''we are putting your documents together and we need this information''

I think 'evaluating' is neutral - to me, the email's just saying that they need your areas of interest in order to properly continue judging your application. Just my opinion though! :)

Thanks a lot for your interest domnulsl =)

May i ask another question?

Thanks again!

Agree with coonske, "evaluating" means that they are checking your application to see if you have provided all the required information before the school send it to the admission committee.

I guess it's reasonable to assume that decisions aren't made at 10pm. So, what time are they made? Anyone have a good time frame for which decisions are sent out? 12-5pm? Just another thing to obsess about...

I guess it's reasonable to assume that decisions aren't made at 10pm. So, what time are they made? Anyone have a good time frame for which decisions are sent out? 12-5pm? Just another thing to obsess about...

They are made the second you stop thinking about them, at the moment you least expect them. *sagacious nod*

I got my first acceptance yesterday at 7:18 PM via email, so theres hope that it can be after 5 PM. Not sure about 10 PM though! Good luck everyone!

That's such a reasonable and rational thought. Unfortunately reason and rationality don't seem to apply to this process. Not to make the rest of you snuggle with your smartphones from now on, but I got an offer last night that was sent after 10 pm in school's timezone.

That's such a reasonable and rational thought. Unfortunately reason and rationality don't seem to apply to this process. Not to make the rest of you snuggle with your smartphones from now on, but I got an offer last night that was sent after 10 pm in school's timezone.

Too late! I already snuggle with my smartphone.