Are humanities grad students pathetic?

JosephClarkGrew

I just feel like humanities students are the most pathetic forms of people. Humanities are easy and pointless and that's why the field is so flooded. Sciences (such as physics) are what really impacts the world and changes things and helps people. What do humanities really do?

The students are pathetic too. They are miserable because they tried to do what they loved but society hated it. Society hates them because they are just writers and 99.9% of writers are pathetic too. Even the Simpsons hates grad students. Those poor grad students, they can't even watch the simpsons to escape their woe!

Idk, I loved humanities and thought they were great but now I realized that I was wrong to enjoy them and that writing, and humanities are bad, their practitioners are pathetic and that sciences are the only way, even if you don't enjoy them, because they are the only way to actually do things.

Maybe I'm just cynical.

I just feel like humanities students are the most pathetic forms of people. Humanities are easy and pointless and that's why the field is so flooded. Sciences (such as physics) are what really impacts the world and changes things and helps people. What do humanities really do?

The students are pathetic too. They are miserable because they tried to do what they loved but society hated it. Society hates them because they are just writers and 99.9% of writers are pathetic too. Even the Simpsons hates grad students. Those poor grad students, they can't even watch the simpsons to escape their woe!

Idk, I loved humanities and thought they were great but now I realized that I was wrong to enjoy them and that writing, and humanities are bad, their practitioners are pathetic and that sciences are the only way, even if you don't enjoy them, because they are the only way to actually do things.

Maybe I'm just cynical.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

Before you guys get the rope, take a moment and think, "Is this sarcasm? Is this a humanities grad student who is just venting their frustration about their perception of the public's view of the value of the sciences vs. humanities?"

Might I suggest you do the same for my response?

IDK, there's just something about:

I loved humanities and thought they were great but now I realized that I was wrong to enjoy them and that writing, and humanities are bad, their practitioners are pathetic and that sciences are the only way, even if you don't enjoy them, because they are the only way to actually do things.

that doesn't really hit my sarcasm radar. Then again, this is the internetz.

Edited by dimanche0829

It's one thing to say something like "the humanities provide less real world applications than hard sciences like physics" but it's another thing to just berate the humanities grad students for how pathetic they are.

obvious troll topic but still lame.

Might I suggest you do the same for my response?

IDK, there's just something about:

that doesn't really hit my sarcasm radar. Then again, this is the internetz.

Sets my alarms off pretty quickly. Saying "wrong to enjoy them," "humanities are bad," and "even if you don't enjoy them," were oversimplifications and sardonic, I thought. And that's just from the little part you quoted.

Unless you're being sarcastic, in which case...I give up. That would take too much energy.

I'll bite, if the OP is expressing their actual opinion:

You don't appear to be worthy of judging the humanities and its students on any level given your writing abilities, or lack thereof. Scholars in the humanities fields are, by and large, incredibly effective and sophisticated communicators. If you really "loved" the humanities at one point, those teachings would be reflected in your writing.

This is totally the weirdest trolling post I've ever seen... I mean, it's not even funny! It would be like going onto a pet adoption site and being like "Kittens are stupid! I sure do hate kittens! I mean who do they think they are with those cute little faces! I used to love kittens, but now I realize that they're pointless and dumb!"

If you want to start a flame war, you have to at least say something controversial. This is just... weird.

O_o

• 2 months later...

Society hates them because they are just writers and 99.9% of writers are pathetic too. Even the Simpsons hates grad students.

This is my favorite part, right here. Before you pathetic humanties types try and attack this genius an point out that deconstruction stuff and your stupid mimesis and stuff, I just want to say that everyone knows that the Simpsons are real and there are no writers of the Simpsons. The Simpsons live in Springfield, where everyone knows, that the Simpsons hates liberal arts and likes to just eat nuclear donuts which is really the highest form of art you don't even half to study for. You are so lame to stay up all night working on that application because you should just eat a nuclear donut and then you could climb walls like Spiderman, who is also real.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Well, as a former Med student turned Humanities student, I would have to disagree with "Joseph". I found science to be fascinating, yet limited creativity to the point where I (personally) couldn't take it.

I feel liberated and free in my new field of study, able to explore and interpret the world to no end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

First, In order for sciences to have a productive existence, a community has to have certain values, goals, social organization, philosophical outlooks (the scientific method itself is a matter of epistemology), an understanding of the histories of these things, etc. Secondly, sciences are tools that will only do good when wielded by good, intelligent, life-loving human beings. Do you know who is involved in debating and understanding these matters that allow science to thrive and thrive in healthy way? You’re welcome.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is to all the humanists out there gnashing their teeth.

What I usually say to the condescending science types who think we do nothing of value: "at least if I endeavor to prove something with my research, and it fails, I've created new knowledge and can continue my task. If you fail a research project or mess it up somehow, you've wasted a few million of your university's research budget for chemistry/physics/bio/engineering. The worst I did was possibly waste a few years of my own life, and I still enjoyed that time anyway."

Then I usually stick my tongue out because this stuff brings out my inner troll.