MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Paintcutter, it's really thoughtful of you to offer to ask questions for people, and to bring back this info.

Regarding the debate about letters vs. statement: I think this may be dependent on school and field. I've definitely heard admissions essays derided as unimportant by faculty, but not in studio art. I can imagine that the statement is really seen more as an artist's statement than an admissions essay, which would give it more importance. I would not neglect getting good references, however.

Honestly, in studio admissions you images are what will make or break you.

Thanks Losemygrip! It'll be interesting to hear which programs differ in terms of how they approach the application process. I suspect that USC is very different from larger programs. They only admit 8 students a year and last year their applicant pool was around 400. They mentioned yesterday that they expect around 500 this year.

Yesterday, Jud Fine mentioned that the Core Faculty (Lockhart, Fine, White, Stark, Sietsema and Steiner) will evaluate the first round and will primarily focus on only images. For those who are video based, Fine emphasized to make the video segments no longer than 3 minutes. Anything above 5 minutes will most likely not be viewed. The second round is then judged by their statement and images. Their objective is to pool the very best and also consider the dynamic of the group and how "well-rounded" and diverse they will be. Those who are object-based and work primarily with one specific medium should still apply since they try to make sure that every medium is represented and the group is as diverse as it can be. The curriculum will also be tailored as needed around the specific interest and needs of the group. All of the lecturers that come each week do studio visits and are also selected democratically by students and professors. Also, the student to faculty ratio is 3:1 making USC one of the few programs that are highly individualized and intimate. The Director of the school is also selected by the faculty and students and is rotated among the Core faculty.

As stated on the website, the tuition is supplemented by the Teaching Assistantship which will provide dental and medical in addition to a stipend of around $1000 for living expenses. This past year, everyone in the program (1st and 2nd) received the assistantship but it varies of course on approved funding. Generally, the program is so small that they try to meet the needs of every student.

The studios look like they're around 500 sq ft. and have normal doors. People who work large might have an issue although they allow students for one week in the fall to convert the gallery space into a studio or their own gallery/solo show. The studios also look like they might be an issue for those who like to work with toxic chemicals like resin or enamels since their doesn't seem like their is substantial air circulation. I could be wrong but from what I gather, it seems like you could work something out if you can.

USC's program is very very intimate and highly individualized. There is a common kitchen area where faculty and students hang out and cook together. This program is for people who are highly developed as practitioners of art but also communicators of art as one can tell by the intimate setting and how they engage with each other. I was extremely surprised with how organic their approach is to their curriculum and now it makes sense why they are very concerned with developing a strong group that will be able to communicate well with each other in addition to having a solid practice in art.

Anyway, the most important news regarding the application process was the following:

1) The application is based upon creating a solid group that represents all mediums and cultivating a set group of people who can articulate their work, thoughts, and ideas critically and be able to contextualize them historically and socially within an academic setting.

2) Those that want to teach will not be considered (apparently this is Fine's pet peeve about artist statements) and Fine emphasized that they want the artist statement to be about how one is able to articulate and think about one's work. A question that they will have when evaluating statements is: Can this person be able to convey their thoughts clearly and engage in critical dialogue about their own work and their peers?

Thanks Paintcutter! Your post is really helpful. After reading your post I am wondering how much chance does an International student hold with no prior degree in Art. I am adding some more work to my Portfolio, but do you have any inputs on what kind of Portfolio work one should be submitting to increase our chances of acceptance in these Univ.

Thank you paintcutter! This is really helpful of you. I'm applying to a lot of those same california schools too. I don't know much about UCR, and Calarts I had assumed would mean no financial aid.

I know I've definitely wondered about my work being too object-based for some programs even though it's interdisciplinary work, so I'm glad they touched on that.

Edited by caus

Hi Paintcutter! this info is really useful! I'm not applying to USC but I will be applying to Cal Arts for photography. Hav you found any new information regarding their program? I'm an international student from the UK. I was interested in their teaching assistantships and was wondering if its also best not to mention teaching in the statement of purpose for CalArts. Hope you can help!

@Arpita Gupta - that's a tough question since USC's program isn't based upon medium. I think that the best way to go is to do some research on some successful alumni such as Amanda Ross-ho and Mindy Shapero. I wish I could help you more...but having strong and solid work doesn't necessarily guarantee one's admission to USC. The factors seem like a combination of solid work, solid direction and communication in one's work, the ability to interpret work across disciplines, and if they see that your presence completes a selection of a well-rounded group. The last point is really just luck it seems. I also think that you can probably argue that you background outside of art provides a fresh perspective but it seems absolutely necessary to bring with you a knowledge of the arts and how to talk and contextualize works of art.

I'm heading to Calarts and UCLA next week so I'll know more about those as well.

Edited by paintcutter

Its from talking to faculty at 3-4 schools as well as multiple grad students who have been part of the whole process. Almost all letters of rec are written by competent people who talk about the strengths of the students they are writing about. Sending in these letters is almost a formality, they just don't want to see mediocre or terrible recommendations. Some schools don't even want letters, but just a list of 3 people to call if they get a weird vibe from you. The only time letters of rec could make a big difference is if they are from friends of the faculty or from someone with a lot of clout in the artworld. Its much more important for them to hear you describe your own work.

thank you, that makes a lot of sense.

Stressing out already. I am applying to midwest schools (probably because I am a midwesterner): Washington University in St. Louis, U of Chicago, SAIC and U of Illinois Chicago. My practice is primarily graphic design with emphasis on typography and illustration. I strive to expand my practice into exhibition, installation and environmental graphic design. Due to this, I am applying for Visual Communication Design/Graphic Design programs as well as Interior Architecture. Any insight on translating my majority commercial marketing designs into an admission portfolio would be great!

Hola people. I intend on applying for the fall 2012 semester and beginning to scramble to get things in order. I guess common practice is to make a list of schools, then convince people to write letters for me. I guess I have a working list going on and it includes the following schools: VCU, GSU, FSU, and LSU. I am a figurative painter and feel like these schools would suit me well. I know everybody loves doting over Yale for painting but I don't want to live in New Haven. Here is a link to my blog along with my statement. Please let me know what you ladies and gents think, especially regarding the statement. Nothing is too sacred, everything is in draft mode.

Thanks!

http://waynemarcelli.blogspot.com/

edit: a primo financial aid program will be the final selling point to my choosing a program. Pay me to go to school? Sounds good.

Edited by wm000

Mid-range schools?

Cal State Long Beach

San Diego State

Montclair State

U Mass Dartmouth

U Miami

Iowa State

U.T. San Antonio

to name only a few.

hey losemygrip (or anyone else for that matter)

Do you happen to know of any mid-range schools in the NYC area/surrounding areas? Or even in LA... being in a bigger city is a big selling point for me! Thanks all...

Montclair State in the NYC area and CSU Long Beach or Fullerton in the L.A. area were already on my list. You're going to have to get out of the CUNY schools to gain the admissions acceptance of a mid-range, regardless of the quality of the program. Maybe SUNY Stony Brook?

Hello all,

I have been following this website/forum for quite some time and decided to finally post. I am starting to apply to some programs and thought it wouldn't hurt to enter into a dialogue. I am currently located in LA, but am applying to midwest/east coast schools. I am still considering UCLA. I recently finished a book by Sarah Thornton, Seven Days in the Art World. It highlighted a critique at Cal Arts and I decided their program was probably too conceptual for me, though I am in no way opposed to conceptual work. I would be interested to know more about Henry Radford Hope (IU)'s program and Herron's Programs. I know Herron is relatively new with a MFA program, but that could provide a lot of freedom to guide the program. Thus far I am applying to RISD (Print), SAIC (print and draw/painting), MICA (Hoffberger), Columbia University (Print), IU Hope School of Art, Herron (Print), and Rutgers (Visual Art).

Here is my website www.adamporterart.com

Let me know if there are any other schools I should consider or if there are any on my list I should strike.

Thanks ya'll.

I will now be checking this forum 20 times a day.

hey losemygrip (or anyone else for that matter)

Do you happen to know of any mid-range schools in the NYC area/surrounding areas? Or even in LA... being in a bigger city is a big selling point for me! Thanks all...

Purchase College

Brooklyn College

Rutgers University (Great for painting)

SVA

Hello all... I used this forum last year during my application to grad schools. I found it super useful. I am currently attending The New York Academy of Art. (NYAA). It's a figurative art program in painting, drawing, sculpture and printmaking. They specialize in anatomy. For those who are interested, I'm blogging about my experience there so others can know what it's like.

Please feel free to follow me at www.takingchancesinkansas.blogspot.com

I also highly recommend visiting the school if you get a chance. The work here is outstanding. Our open houses start on Nov 19, and continue every Saturday. Feel free to ask me any questions.

-Amanda

Hi everyone!

I just read what paintcutter wrote about USC. It's very interesting that the program is so individualized and I was wondering if anyone knows a similar program in NYC or anywhere else...

Thanks! :)