MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Has anyone heard from SAIC Film/Video/New Media/Animation department? I know that they do not conduct interviews, so has anyone been accpeted yet or know when they send out the letters? Thanks!

hey,

I also applied to SAIC's Film, Video, New Media, Animation dept and have not heard back yet. I remember reading that they mail out decisions 6-8 weeks after the application deadline which was Jan 10th I believe and that was 6 weeks ago - so we should be hearing from them any day now!

hey,

I also applied to SAIC's Film, Video, New Media, Animation dept and have not heard back yet. I remember reading that they mail out decisions 6-8 weeks after the application deadline which was Jan 10th I believe and that was 6 weeks ago - so we should be hearing from them any day now!

I figured it was right around the 6 week point, I'm just getting impatient not hearing a peep from them! Let me know if you hear anything!!

That's great Rusty1!!! Congrats! I'm still waiting on the Film/Video/New Media department, and since they do not conduct interviews, I have no clue when the letters will go out! Has anyone else applied to that department?

Thank you! Good luck with everything and I hope the waiting goes quickly.

I figured it was right around the 6 week point, I'm just getting impatient not hearing a peep from them! Let me know if you hear anything!!

I know what you mean! I'm compulsively checking my mailbox at this point... I'll definitely let you know if I hear from them! and likewise, if you hear anything, let me know!

Hey everyone! I have a question for those who are interviewing for CalArts - are you all flying out there, or doing Skype interviews? I have heard that they view in-person interviews with high regard, but I'm just not sure I can afford to get out there. I was just curious as to what others were doing, and if they had heard anything regarding the interview process.

If you want to chat via message, that's totally cool too. Thank you all! Hope everyone is hanging in there! Personally, I'm trying to find ways to not climb the walls . . .

"Time goes by . . . so slowly . . . "

What's the word on SAIC sculpture? If I haven't heard anything should I assume it's rejection?

I was doing so well at keeping this off my mind until Bard's rejection email today, but now my heart is in my throat!

Rejected: Bard

Waiting: SAIC, Columbia, UCLA

Hey everyone! I have a question for those who are interviewing for CalArts - are you all flying out there, or doing Skype interviews? I have heard that they view in-person interviews with high regard, but I'm just not sure I can afford to get out there. I was just curious as to what others were doing, and if they had heard anything regarding the interview process.

If you want to chat via message, that's totally cool too. Thank you all! Hope everyone is hanging in there! Personally, I'm trying to find ways to not climb the walls . . .

I will be doing a Skype interview as I am based in a different continent. However, they have yet to give me my off-campus interview schedule. I haven't heard from them since they sent me an email saying I can do phone or skype.

What have you decided on?

I will be doing a Skype interview as I am based in a different continent. However, they have yet to give me my off-campus interview schedule. I haven't heard from them since they sent me an email saying I can do phone or skype.

What have you decided on?

Thanks for your response, mica_c! As of right now I am leaning towards doing a Skype interview as well, as I am on the East Coast. Between a plane ticket, hotel and renting a car, I'm just not sure I can do it after the expenses of just applying. I contacted them as well to see what my options are, but I also have yet to hear back. I'll keep you posted if there are any developments!

Thanks for your response, mica_c! As of right now I am leaning towards doing a Skype interview as well, as I am on the East Coast. Between a plane ticket, hotel and renting a car, I'm just not sure I can do it after the expenses of just applying. I contacted them as well to see what my options are, but I also have yet to hear back. I'll keep you posted if there are any developments!

Hi! I also requested a Skype interview, since I'm located on the other side of the planet. They haven't gotten back to me yet...

Thanks! I'll let you know too. I was starting to think they'd changed their mind about me. :rolleyes:

Edited by mica_c

Finally got some mail.

SAIC did not approved me for admission to the MFA Painting and Drawing Program, but offered me admission into their BFA program as a Prior Degree Student.

Not sure what this means with regard to how many years they are talking about. It sounds a lot like a tune up year for my portfolio. They act like I will be free to explore the classes necessary for polishing my existing work for graduate admission. I'll be giving them a call the see what this is all about. Merit scholarships are available for consideration as well if I tell them I am interested by March 15th.

This is exciting.

Finally got some mail.

SAIC did not approved me for admission to the MFA Painting and Drawing Program, but offered me admission into their BFA program as a Prior Degree Student.

Not sure what this means with regard to how many years they are talking about. It sounds a lot like a tune up year for my portfolio. They act like I will be free to explore the classes necessary for polishing my existing work for graduate admission. I'll be giving them a call the see what this is all about. Merit scholarships are available for consideration as well if I tell them I am interested by March 15th.

This is exciting.

Probably, a post-bac. DO IT, take advantage of those SICK facilities!

Still no word on Bard *painting* interviews? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? I know some rejections went out yesterday but haven't heard anyone getting the affirmative about an interview.

I got a no yesterday from bard...

Finally got some mail.

This is exciting.

Interesting! Is this similar to postbacc programs? Congratulations in any case!

Edit: I did a postbacc year and learned so much.

Edited by kazoo

Yep, I'm flying to interview at CalArts for their 3 year graphic design program. (I live in SF though, so it's not such a trek). If you can gather funds to make it, I think it will be worth it (and even if you get in, it might help you get more funding in the long run)

Rachel

CalArts (interview)

RISD (interview)

VCU

CCA undergrad

Konstfack

Design Academy Basel

UA London Central St Martins

Royal College of Art

Finally got some mail.

This is exciting.

TheZane,

I'd be a little wary of this. My visit to SAIC showed me that they are more about marketing opportunites and making cash than developing you as an artist. This program is similar to Post Bacc, but the credits may be hard to transfer, and make sure that they offer you scholarship opportunites for it. I would hold out for an MFA program if that's what you're looking for. That being said, SAIC does have some amazing facilities and not a lot of structure, so you could potentially have some great opportunities!

Good luck with whatever you choose!!!

Just got an interview from NYU via email!

Tyson2, that's awesome! Congratulations! You applied to photo, yeah? Now starts the wait for those of us who applied to different programs . . .

Yep, I'm flying to interview at CalArts for their 3 year graphic design program. (I live in SF though, so it's not such a trek). If you can gather funds to make it, I think it will be worth it (and even if you get in, it might help you get more funding in the long run)

Rachel

Rachel, thanks for the info - if I can muster up the funds, I will try. I agree with you that it looks better in the long run. Plus, I could use a couple days in LA, getting away from East Coast winter . . .

cxxxxxx and mica_c, I'll let you know if I hear anything else from CalArts. I am sure they are inundated with requests for this and that. I emailed them last week, but if I don't hear anything back I'm going to try again tomorrow. I'll keep you posted!

FYI, I was checking the online status of some of my apps today, and my Tyler says "Application Status: Decision Made" and "Decision: Applicant Denied." It didn't say this about two weeks ago. I was expecting it since I wasn't notified when others on this board were.

For those who have made it, go forth and conquer! B)