MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

I honestly can't figure out the mysterious ways in which these schools work. i don't know if UCI painters were notified of acceptance, but womp_womp says that all finalists working in any media were interviewed there.

Tyler painters, I believe, were notified of their finalist status, though they don't interview (though photography finalists do). Confusing.

UCI painters were notified? I spoke with a current student and they said no decisions had been made yet....

Blah, I am trying not to lose the faith after 4 rejections and only 1 interview so far. Not sure why my expectations are/were so high. Anyone else feeling the same? Blah. I'm already starting to think about preparing for next round. haha. Give me my funding damnit! :P

Anyone have any news for U. Oregon ?

here's a general question: why do these programs make us wait on them if they know they're going to reject us? i mean, if all finalists are notified and interviewed, it would seem that at that point in time, these programs pretty much know who they're not admitting. so why not notify those people? it just seems it always takes longer to receive a rejection letter (or a "deny" letter, thanks ASU) than it does to receive acceptance or an interview.

why make people so anxious waiting for a response if you already know they're not finalists for your program??

So, when visiting artists and my profs told me most BFA grads wait a while before getting into an MFA program due to maturation of the artwork, I'm going to seriously consider that fine print and the pain in the rear-ness of the application process could have also played a part.

haha...amen..i never really listened to them either...

I got an interview request a few days ago, and R.Mutt called and they said that they were sending out interview requests over the next few weeks.

mlo- forgive me for asking, as i am curious, but do you know what kind of interview vcu is conducting? i remember reading on either the 2011 , or 2010 freak out forum that they do phone interviews, but i think that was a different department...

Not sure this may make you feel better, but you are not alone kazoo!

After missing the boats of UCI and MICA, I’m just hoping for USC now..

totally makes me feel better; that's the great thing about this forum, increased awareness that others are going through the same thing.

and congrat caus for UMD!

Edited by kazoo

mlo- forgive me for asking, as i am curious, but do you know what kind of interview vcu is conducting? i remember reading on either the 2011 , or 2010 freak out forum that they do phone interviews, but i think that was a different department...

Yeah, and has your status changed online from - "complete ready for review?"

here's a general question: why do these programs make us wait on them if they know they're going to reject us? i mean, if all finalists are notified and interviewed, it would seem that at that point in time, these programs pretty much know who they're not admitting. so why not notify those people? it just seems it always takes longer to receive a rejection letter (or a "deny" letter, thanks ASU) than it does to receive acceptance or an interview.

why make people so anxious waiting for a response if you already know they're not finalists for your program??

ebihal, I think they interview and offer positions before sending out rejections in case they have a certain number of spots and those accepted/interviewed end up not choosing to go there. So, it's actually a good thing (or so I'm telling myself?). I've had one interview and one rejection and no word from the rest....just wish I knew when I'd hear something back!!!

Yeah that's totally part of the logic, and some schools do notify most people that they've been rejected but keep a small buffer of maybes it seems? Last year I didn't hear from my two top choices till after April 15th, which while totally annoying, I couldn't do much about as I hadn't been accepted anywhere else. One thing also to remember about this particular admissions process is that we are applying right before/after the start of a new semester/quarter. Professors and those in admissions and financial aid are dealing with their regular jobs, sometimes accepting undergrads, and us, and the smaller the program, the less people to do everything.

Not that that makes any of this shit easier, unfortunately.

ebihal, I think they interview and offer positions before sending out rejections in case they have a certain number of spots and those accepted/interviewed end up not choosing to go there. So, it's actually a good thing (or so I'm telling myself?). I've had one interview and one rejection and no word from the rest....just wish I knew when I'd hear something back!!!

It is too early to hear from RISD from last years threads. Perhaps not for another 2 weeks or so. Many people don't list all the schools that they applied to (or even any of them). Yes, I applied there. Also, most people who apply, aren't on here. I'm sure that they get many applications.
Ah, ok. I assumed so and they do state it on their site, but, that is the only public indication. Thanks.

Columbia College sends out notifications today via snail mail, at least for the photography program. Just the idea that my name is on an envelope in their office is making me anxious! I wish someone there could open it and read it to me over the phone.

To those accepted to UMD, what is your area of focus and do you know who you'll be working with? I went there for undergrad, so I'm just curious :) I love almost all the faculty and the current grads are friggin' awesome, too.

ALSO! Got an email yesterday from IU Hope SOFA w/ full tuition waiver, teaching assistantship, stipend + health ins. I'm so happy! This was kind of out of the blue, no interview, nothing!

I think it's encouraging to know that no news is not always bad news :) Hang in there, guys!

Yeah that's totally part of the logic, and some schools do notify most people that they've been rejected but keep a small buffer of maybes it seems? Last year I didn't hear from my two top choices till after April 15th, which while totally annoying, I couldn't do much about as I hadn't been accepted anywhere else. One thing also to remember about this particular admissions process is that we are applying right before/after the start of a new semester/quarter. Professors and those in admissions and financial aid are dealing with their regular jobs, sometimes accepting undergrads, and us, and the smaller the program, the less people to do everything.

Not that that makes any of this shit easier, unfortunately.

I you don't mind being asked... What schools didn't reply to you until after April 15? That sounds harsh!

To those accepted to UMD, what is your area of focus and do you know who you'll be working with? I went there for undergrad, so I'm just curious :) I love almost all the faculty and the current grads are friggin' awesome, too.

ALSO! Got an email yesterday from IU Hope SOFA w/ full tuition waiver, teaching assistantship, stipend + health ins. I'm so happy! This was kind of out of the blue, no interview, nothing!

I think it's encouraging to know that no news is not always bad news :) Hang in there, guys!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I haven't heard anything from Indiana...hopefully I'll hear soon - my hopes are low based on their high ranking, but fingers crossed anyway. Now I'm super nervous that I know that people are getting mail. I'm for painting though, not sure how the departments differ.

I think its just that the office workers have too much on their plate scheduling with those they interview/accept to send out all the rejection letters immediately.

They will let you know if your waitlisted.

Does anyone know if it is safe to say that not hearing from UCSD by now is a bad sign? I know some people have already been accepted so I'm starting to assume it's a no go.

Tyson2, I've been wondering the same thing. Though, earlier this week, I had heard that someone got rejected from a school that I received an acceptance phone call from a few days later. So who knows. I'm beginning to think that if we haven't been outright rejected yet, we might be wait-listed.

Tyson2, I've been wondering the same thing. Though, earlier this week, I had heard that someone got rejected from a school that I received an acceptance phone call from a few days later. So who knows. I'm beginning to think that if we haven't been outright rejected yet, we might be wait-listed.

Oh okay, so I guess it might be too early to say for sure. Hopefully we will hear something soon, I really like the program there so it's pretty high on my list! Here's to hoping we still have a shot!

Hi! I'm wondering if anyone applied to University of New Mexico? If so, has anyone heard anything yet?

Also, any news from Carnegie Mellon yet? I know some rejection letters have started going out, but what about interviews or positive news?

I received a rejection letter today for U of New Mexico for MFA painting