PhD applications for 2012-2013 chit chat...

TheHymenAnnihilator

Great question! I am in a similar boat as I am trying to figure out which offer to accept. Most "top" PhD programs offer at least full tuition and a stipend, but the variable is how much that stipend will be. With friends and my own experience, the lowest I've seen is $5K and the average is $15k+. I would also say that the average varies from region to region, largely depending on the cost of living; for instance, SMU offers $16k on average to its incoming students which is manageable in the Dallas/Fort Worth area but this would not be the case in Boston or NYC.

We as humanities students should not have to incur burdensome debt in order to earn a doctorate. The top programs know this fact to be true and thoroughly subsidize their students education.

A few that I know:

Baylor: $16K-$22K

Notre Dame: $17.5K

Duke: $20.5K

Yale: $26K

Some of these may have a higher range with additional department and school scholarships.

A few that I know:

Baylor: $16K-$22K

Notre Dame: $17.5K

Duke: $20.5K

Yale: $26K

Some of these may have a higher range with additional department and school scholarships.

I was accepted into the ThD program at Harvard Divinity.

They are giving me 24.5k for Stipend, and 5k for Summer Stipend = 29.5k for the first two years.

Teaching begins third year on which will be comparable to the 24.5k Stipend. The Summer stipend continues throughout.

At Emory, the basic stipend is $18k (they also provide a tuition waiver and health insurance). I say basic because it's possible to receive other scholarships through a competitive process from the university (Woodruff, Diversity, and Arts and Sciences) that range from $4-5k extra per year, which is really a great deal considering Atlanta has a low cost of living compared to other major metropolitan areas.

One thing that also bears mentioning is that Emory guarantees 5 years of funding and does not make years 3 and 4 contingent on teaching. Teaching is still required as a part of the graduate program curriculum, but unlike most other schools, you still get paid if you don't teach. For me, that's huge; I don't want to worry about teaching and getting paid while I'm studying for comprehensive exams or working on my dissertation. What that also means is that if you complete your teaching requirements earlier in your program, you won't have to stick around in the area while you write your dissertation in order to receive funding. I think this is something to keep in mind as one weighs his/her options.

Latte, when were you notified by Yale?

If you're talking to me, I wasn't. I know that a) they interviewed all their potential admits this year, and b ) they have no waitlist. I've just assumed rejection based on this. I would be doing the same for Notre Dame, however I know they do have a waitlist, and I don't know that they would not call someone for an interview if they are waitlisted. Though I'm pretty sure not being invited for the interview is the same as rejection at ND.

Edited by 11Q13

If you're talking to me, I wasn't. I know that a) they interview all their potential admits this year, and b ) they have no waitlist. I've just assumed rejection based on this. I would be doing the same for Notre Dame, however I know they do have a waitlist, and I don't know that they would not call someone for an interview if they are waitlisted. Though I'm pretty sure not being invited for the interview is the same as rejection at ND.

Don't write yourself off yet, good sir!

If you're talking to me, I wasn't. I know that a) they interviewed all their potential admits this year, and b ) they have no waitlist. I've just assumed rejection based on this. I would be doing the same for Notre Dame, however I know they do have a waitlist, and I don't know that they would not call someone for an interview if they are waitlisted. Though I'm pretty sure not being invited for the interview is the same as rejection at ND.

Depending upon your area, you can still have hope. There have been years where they have gone 14 slots down the list for CJA. They fly out more people in each area than they are going to accept (so, for 3-5 slots in CJA, they'll fly out 8-10 people). However, some of those people are going to go elsewhere. So there is a possibility that you can get accepted into the program even if you were not interviewed. As was said above, don't write yourself off yet.

Who else thinks that Princeton is going to release tomorrow? Dun dun dun, I've had my cell phone next to me this entire day just in case I get a phone.

What area did you apply to at Princeton? Did you end up getting interviewed there? The talk on this forum sounded like people thought some areas interviewed and some did not.

What area did you apply to at Princeton? Did you end up getting interviewed there? The talk on this forum sounded like people thought some areas interviewed and some did not.

Hi Hanover, I applied to the Ancient Religions of the Mediterranean program. My POI is Himmelfarb, but I am sad that Peter Schafer is retiring next year. I did not receive an interview, so my chances of getting in are not as good as others. My girlfriend got an interview as long ago as January, though. They said that an interview did not guarantee admittance, but it was definitely a good sign! Hope this helps :)

Edited by Final_countdown321

Has anyone heard about Notre Dame's 2012 acceptance decisions for PhD theology? I also wonder whether people have started receiving offers for select fellowships (Dean's, Presidential, Gaia, etc), inside or outside of Theology? Thoughts on ETA for those kinds of decisions? Not too much in results survey that specifically discusses select fellowship decisions. Thanks & best of luck to all.

Has anyone heard about Notre Dame's 2012 acceptance decisions for PhD theology? I also wonder whether people have started receiving offers for select fellowships (Dean's, Presidential, Gaia, etc), inside or outside of Theology? Thoughts on ETA for those kinds of decisions? Not too much in results survey that specifically discusses select fellowship decisions. Thanks & best of luck to all.

The Theology interview weekend is this weekend (beginning tomorrow). Decisions will go out on Monday.

Who else thinks that Princeton is going to release tomorrow? Dun dun dun, I've had my cell phone next to me this entire day just in case I get a phone.

Nostradamus was right. Rejected via email this morning.

That about does it for me...I haven't even made it onto a wait list, pretty depressing. Anyone getting multiple admits and wait lists at the ivies care to share their stats (either here or pm)?

I may be in the same boat here. I've got one reject from UT - Austin (after an awesome 1.5 hour conversation with Hackett at SBL) and haven't heard a word from UCLA, Emory, Yale, Harvard, or PTS. Don't know if my stats will help, but my undergrad GPA in ANES was 3.73 (3.93 for major). My MSt in Jewish studies from Oxford was a 2:1, or roughly 3.75-ish, and my MA in biblical studies from Trinity Western will be a 4.10. My GRE was V: 167, Q: 160, AW: 4.5. I know all three of my letters were outstanding.

I don't know if my family and I can afford to go through all this again, emotionally or financially.

I may be in the same boat here. I've got one reject from UT - Austin (after an awesome 1.5 hour conversation with Hackett at SBL) and haven't heard a word from UCLA, Emory, Yale, Harvard, or PTS. Don't know if my stats will help, but my undergrad GPA in ANES was 3.73 (3.93 for major). My MSt in Jewish studies from Oxford was a 2:1, or roughly 3.75-ish, and my MA in biblical studies from Trinity Western will be a 4.10. My GRE was V: 167, Q: 160, AW: 4.5. I know all three of my letters were outstanding.

I don't know if my family and I can afford to go through all this again, emotionally or financially.

I feel your pain. I haven't heard good news yet... still waiting to hear from two schools, including Emory. I have been told that the longer they take to tell you no the better, though. (I mean, obviously worse than being one of the first accepted, but better than being the first rejected.) I'd say you've made it through a couple of levels... at least, that's my opinion.