PhD applications for 2012-2013 chit chat...

TheHymenAnnihilator

You can start here:

http://graduate-scho...______________U

This info isn't the most up to date, but it should give you a rough a idea of where they stood before the recession. You should also ask current students and faculty. If they aren't open and honest about it, that may be a sign of trouble down the road.

*Edit: I should also say, judging by some of the results, that even when this info was up to date it doesn't mean it was completely accurate. It looks like some schools manipulated the data, so take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by Lux Lex Pax

You can start here:

http://graduate-scho...______________U

This info isn't the most up to date, but it should give you a rough a idea of where they stood before the recession. You should also ask current students and faculty. If they aren't open and honest about it, that may be a sign of trouble down the road.

*Edit: I should also say, judging by some of the results, that even when this info was up to date it doesn't mean it was completely accurate. It looks like some schools manipulated the data, so take it with a grain of salt.

Great points, Lux. It is important to remember that the end goal is actually getting a job! Since these programs are so long, and in some cases seemingly unattainable, I often forget these stats do make a difference.

cheers.

Edited by jdmhotness

Thanks for the source. I have spoken to both faculty and students but I understand that none of us are as objective as we think.

Congrats! I received my letter of acceptance to the same program today. From a theology perspective, the GTU has pretty good resources, though questionable financial aid. I heard from a professor in religious studies that it's not the strongest for a religious studies perspective. Still, Berkeley's resources are pretty grand, as is the variety of coursework within the GTU, which all looks fascinating to me. Depending on how financial aid goes, I may be there next fall.

Are you Art & Religion also or in another area? The funding is a big issue. So, while i really like the program and want to get excited I am holding off until I hear about funding. The Presidential Scholarship would be great but it sounds like they only give that to one person in each area.

Congrats. What other programs did you apply to? While I'm certainly interested in the theological side my approach is from the opposite direction. I'm interested in how the artists apply their faith to their art and also the approach of artists who are not specifically religious but deal with religious themes. Do you happen to know how many people are in the Art & Religion program? I just realized that I never even asked that question.

meant4praise, congrats on your acceptance! How nice to know something so early! Do you care to mention your area of concentration within religious studies?

Religion in the Americas (American Religious History)

I got an invite to an information session in February and it looks like there are 9 of us that got accepted in the Religion department.

It is very well respected in biblical studies. Also, I have a few friends over there in the doctoral program in ethics and they seem to love it.

I wouldn't go so far as very well respected. I'd say it's respected... My perception is that it's kind of a second tear consortium after the usuals (Harvard, Yale, etc). That said, I can think of a name or two (at Berkeley at least) that are top of their field, and similarly, at least one scholar with a degree from there at the top of his.

I had a Skype interview with Yale today. I'm not sure how it went; it was pretty short, and I think I displayed neither brilliance nor stupidity. The final decision is supposed be made in late February.

So I'm guessing if I haven't been asked for an interview by now that's a bad sign :/

So I'm guessing if I haven't been asked for an interview by now that's a bad sign :/

If you're applying to the NT program, I do think that they've probably at least contacted all their interviewees.

I think that ND's committee is meeting this week, though I don't know when they'll actually contact people.

Good luck!

I wouldn't go so far as very well respected. I'd say it's respected... My perception is that it's kind of a second tear consortium after the usuals (Harvard, Yale, etc). That said, I can think of a name or two (at Berkeley at least) that are top of their field, and similarly, at least one scholar with a degree from there at the top of his.

Fair enough!

I know that CJA and HC at Notre Dame are meeting this week and should be informing people soon about the interview weekend (which I think is the 19th of February). Good luck to everyone who applied.

To LateAntique: Do you know when the folks in Systematics are meeting? Is it this week as well?

To LateAntique: Do you know when the folks in Systematics are meeting? Is it this week as well?

I imagine so, though I'm not sure. I think the interview weekend includes all subfields, so I suspect that the committee meetings take place at the same time as well.