Fall 2012 Applications

- Eileen -

They were perfectly cordial, but I found the lack of communication on their end bothersome. It felt like my application could have easily just disappeared into a black hole along with my application fee, and I find that unsettling.

Oh, well!

I STILL haven't heard anything from Columbia. I submitted 12/31 and it was officially complete as of 1/19. Are there any folks out there who are still waiting to hear back from Columbia? I feel like I'm the only person who hasn't heard anything. :(

I applied to all of my schools for MSW at the same time (first week in January). i have heard back on acceptances from UPENN & NYU, but I am still waiting to hear from USC and Columbia.

NYU offered me a 10k scholarship each year, but I didn't receive any scholarship money from UPENN.

Has anyone contacted their schools about financial help and have gotten results? My parents are helping me with tuiton, so I only have to pay half, and I have no undergrad loans (I am graduating in May). NYU I would live at home but UPENN I would live in Philly so it would be more expensive. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or resources about funding graduate school?

Nyu finally got back to me today in case anyone else was waiting on them. Theyll email you to log in and checkyour application. They also include financial info. I got a 10500 scholarship.

I also heard from NYU today - did you have financial information in the acceptance letter or was that under separate cover? I haven't seen any information about scholarship/financials.

I also heard from NYU today - did you have financial information in the acceptance letter or was that under separate cover? I haven't seen any information about scholarship/financials.

It was stated in my decisions letter towards the bottom. So once you log in to your application, scroll to to the bottom, view decision, and scroll to the bottom.

I dont know if it makes a difference that im from california and not ny

missdanielle - it doesn't make a difference, I'm from NJ and I received the same scholarship in the letter from NYU! If you received a scholarship it is in the decision letter not a different one. Congrats!

They give you a month and you've been accepted to give in you deposit. Everything (registration for classes ect...) is due on April first

Huh?

Do you mean once you've been accepted they give you a month to pay the deposit? All other costs are due April!? That's not a lot of time.

Huh?

Do you mean once you've been accepted they give you a month to pay the deposit? All other costs are due April!? That's not a lot of time.

I had a month to pay the deposit, but the other costs aren't due in April. Once your deposit is processed, all the other forms and stuff you need to fill out to attend school (the fieldwork placement form, the registration form, your Columbia ID form, health forms, etc.) are all due April 1.

I am officially accepting Boston University! I am still waiting on a decision from UMichigan, but there is nothing that could sway me now. Boston is the more affordable option and the better option for what I want to do. I am so excited! Now on to apartment hunting...

That means I am also turning down Columbia, so hopefully a spot will open up for someone out there who hasn't received an acceptance yet!!

Not a peep. I'm really banking on either UNC or UT-Austin, and they both seem to be super slow with the apps this year. Has anyone else applied to UK Schools? They're actually making decisions now!

Hi All!

I just got my financial aid from Columbia, and everything would be covered (including living expenses) with my financial aid package, which includes a grad plus loan and a stafford loan. They only gave me a $7,000/yr scholarship. The only reason I would go to Columbia would be for the name, which I don't think is a good enough decision factor. I hear the program is excellent, but really big with somewhat large class sizes. While Columbia it is internationally recognized as being an amazing university, within NYC Hunter is looked at on the same level of prestige for social work, if not higher.

I also got into Yeshiva University with a scholarship that would cover the cost of tuition in combination with the Stafford Loan. I get the feeling Yeshiva offers an amazing education with small class sizes, but I'm afraid people would think I'm really religious with a degree from there, besides it being a secular program. What do people think?

I was interviewed for Hunter's program by a woman who got her MSW from Columbia because she was rejected from Hunter. The tuition at Hunter is extremely affordable, and I would rather go to a school that makes itself accessible for people of all financial backgrounds. I really hope I get in! I should find out within 2-4 weeks.

I just thought I'd give my own personal insight to see what others think. I want to open a private practice one day, and am not too sure how the school name would factor into my ability to get a nice client base or position at an organization. I like to think that good people get good jobs, not good schools. And I think Hunter offers competitive field placements.

I hope everyone is managing well with the whole waiting game!!

Hi NYCmswApplicant,

Can you please tell me about interview process at Yeshiva? I have an interview in few weeks and I am nervous about it.Thanks.

I just received the acceptance packet from USC today! Pretty sure I'll still be heading to Berkeley, but willing to wait out for financial aid as long as I can (the letter instructed I have until April 4 to reply, so I'm not holding my breath). I also applied to the Dean's Leadership Scholarship, but there was no word on that.

Best of luck on everyone still waiting!

Just read this interesting article in the NYTimes and thought I should share:

The master’s in social work has become “absolutely essential” to advance in the profession, says Jacqueline B. Mondros, dean of Hunter College’s School of Social Work, of the City University of New York. Ninety percent of the members of the National Association of Social Workers, the field’s largest professional organization, have an M.S.W. But the return on investment won’t tempt. For social workers with the advanced degree, the median salary in 2009 was $55,000, according to the group’s research. Social workers with a B.A. earned $15,000 less, while Ph.D.’s added $17,000 to their median pay.

And the investment? Students seeking an M.S.W. borrow an average $35,500; a degree can cost about $20,000 at Hunter or $80,000 at Columbia. By comparison, their M.B.A. counterparts borrow on average $32,000, and more M.S.W. candidates borrow (three-quarters of them; half of M.B.A. students borrow).

The rule of thumb for borrowing, says Mark Kantrowitz, publisher of finaid.org, is that debt should never exceed starting salary. Ideally, he adds, it should be half that.

“I’d be the last person to say not to pursue a dream,” Mr. Kantrowitz says. “But do it with your eyes open.”

Taken from: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/education/edlife/edl-24roi-t.html?pagewanted=all

That is really interesting, i am definitely going to be attending a Cal State to avoid loans.

Just read this interesting article in the NYTimes and thought I should share:

The master’s in social work has become “absolutely essential” to advance in the profession, says Jacqueline B. Mondros, dean of Hunter College’s School of Social Work, of the City University of New York. Ninety percent of the members of the National Association of Social Workers, the field’s largest professional organization, have an M.S.W. But the return on investment won’t tempt. For social workers with the advanced degree, the median salary in 2009 was $55,000, according to the group’s research. Social workers with a B.A. earned $15,000 less, while Ph.D.’s added $17,000 to their median pay.

And the investment? Students seeking an M.S.W. borrow an average $35,500; a degree can cost about $20,000 at Hunter or $80,000 at Columbia. By comparison, their M.B.A. counterparts borrow on average $32,000, and more M.S.W. candidates borrow (three-quarters of them; half of M.B.A. students borrow).

The rule of thumb for borrowing, says Mark Kantrowitz, publisher of finaid.org, is that debt should never exceed starting salary. Ideally, he adds, it should be half that.

“I’d be the last person to say not to pursue a dream,” Mr. Kantrowitz says. “But do it with your eyes open.”

Taken from: http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

Argh, it is so weird that I still haven't heard from two schools, especially Baltimore...

Has anyone else applied to either UMD-Baltimore or Columbia University and not received a decision??

Most schools have to send out decisions by April 1st, right?