Fall 2012 Applications

- Eileen -

I am wondering if I should ask for more money from Columbia, I only got 9.5k, How could I ask politely?

My husband got HUGE scholarship increases for law school by asking for more money. He'd write and explain that he was honored to have been offered what they did, but he still couldn't afford to attend. He would say "X school is offering me Y amount more". Almost every single time he got more money. One school went from $10,000 to $30,000! Obviously law school is different than MSW, but it can never hurt to ask!

Hi everyone!

I got into Fordham a little while ago for advanced standing but I'm still waiting on Columbia, Hunter, and NYU. Has anyone heard from any of the other programs for advanced standing? Checking my email and application status has become a new addiction for me haha. Good luck to all!!

Hi everyone! I got into Fordham a little while ago for advanced standing but I'm still waiting on Columbia, Hunter, and NYU. Has anyone heard from any of the other programs for advanced standing? Checking my email and application status has become a new addiction for me haha. Good luck to all!!

I applied to Fordham, Hunter, and NYU - submitted my apps January 14th. That was the day my last recommender sent in their letter. Hunter invited me for an interview 3 weeks after I submitted my application and I received my acceptance letter exactly 1 week after the interview. Fordham sent me an acceptance the day after I heard from Hunter. It has been about 6 weeks since I submitted my NYU app and still no word. If it makes you feel any better, there was a problem with NYU reporting on the application that they received my transcript - only for me to find out a month later they never actually got it after all. This is probably upsetting the time line for decision-making.

Hope that helps!

Edited by arcoventry

2nd week of March is coming up, thank goodness. At least it isn't late March or early April. I'm waiting to hear from a state school here in California and I hear some decisions are sent out in July! Can you believe that!?

On a different note, I'm a bit upset with NYU because according to them, my application was incomplete because supposedly they did not have my transcript. However, I had my undergraduate school send them my transcript well in advance and forwarded NYU my confirmation number and asked them to basically look again.

A couple of hours later, I got an email back saying that they located my transcript and it's complete. What's weird is that the same thing happened with Columbia. What's up with the New York schools and transcripts? Because of this, I have a feeling my NYU and Columbia application is barely being looked at/considered, which in turn, delays their decision,which in turn makes me even more restless :(

rjose - This exact same thing happened to me. It was the morning of Feb 14, and I had to delay my day trip with the boy to hand-deliver an offical transcript!!! Thank goodness I live in Manhattan, and thank goodness I was OCD and ordered a billion extra copies from my undergrad school!

I am very upset, because now it says my application was not completed until 2/14. I had spent a month thinking I would be getting a decision any day...

[edit] I just realized you can multi-quote, sorry for the multiple postings x)

Edited by arcoventry

I applied to UNC Chapel Hill as well. I haven't heard anything yet. Someone from admissions emailed me two weeks ago about a missing reference. I am hoping we will hear back in the next few weeks!

Just called admissions. They said we would be notified mid-March. I am hoping sooner than later!

rjose - This exact same thing happened to me. It was the morning of Feb 14, and I had to delay my day trip with the boy to hand-deliver an offical transcript!!! Thank goodness I live in Manhattan, and thank goodness I was OCD and ordered a billion extra copies from my undergrad school!

I am very upset, because now it says my application was not completed until 2/14. I had spent a month thinking I would be getting a decision any day...

Ugh! Yeah, so frustrating. It seems like everyone has heard from Columbia except me. I sign into my account at least 2x a day! I submitted it back in December and have a feeling the transcript mishap has brought my application to the bottom of the list :(

I emailed Columbia simply asking for any updates on my application and they gave me the usual answer of "you should hear from them soon. We have rolling admissions." Ugh, ugh, ugh!

hi, i was crazy and applied to a lot of progroms, so far i have heard back and been accepted from: columbia, washu, usc, michigan, boston college, and university of chicago. i have pretty much ruled out boston college and washu. does anyone have any advice for which program is better for clinical work, particularly work with children (possibly schools)? it is hard to tell online what has a better rep for clinical v. policy. thanks!

That happened to me too! NYU said my application was incomplete because they didn't have my transcripts, even though I had verified with my undergrad that my transcripts were sent in November! ughhh so frustrating.

hi, i was crazy and applied to a lot of progroms, so far i have heard back and been accepted from: columbia, washu, usc, michigan, boston college, and university of chicago. i have pretty much ruled out boston college and washu. does anyone have any advice for which program is better for clinical work, particularly work with children (possibly schools)? it is hard to tell online what has a better rep for clinical v. policy. thanks!

Michigan has a very strong clinical focus. They offer a lot of clinically-focused electives each term. That's the main reason Michigan is one of my top choices.

-_-

That happened to me too! NYU said my application was incomplete because they didn't have my transcripts, even though I had verified with my undergrad that my transcripts were sent in November! ughhh so frustrating.

I submitted on 12/13. On 2/10 I found out that my app was still incomplete because they didn receive my TOEFL score. Gz I sent it on November. So my app was completed on 2/13.

shrug.

Has anyone heard from BU yet?

Things have seemed curiously quiet with BU! Due to financial and timing issues (I didn't want to have to relinquish my financial aid offer from them before I'd had the chance to play the field a bit..), I didn't submit until late, around 2/5.

I haven't bothered to call just yet. Anyone else hear a peep?

Just curious to hear why you have ruled out BC, I just got accepted there today- interested in hearing your thoughts! I'm debating between BC and Texas State (my boyfriend is in Austin) Thanks!

Things have seemed curiously quiet with BU! Due to financial and timing issues (I didn't want to have to relinquish my financial aid offer from them before I'd had the chance to play the field a bit..), I didn't submit until late, around 2/5.

I haven't bothered to call just yet. Anyone else hear a peep?

I e-mailed them two weeks ago, and haven't heard anything. Still "no decision has been reached" on their site.

Just curious to hear why you have ruled out BC, I just got accepted there today- interested in hearing your thoughts! I'm debating between BC and Texas State (my boyfriend is in Austin) Thanks!

i don't think there's anything "wrong" with bc by any means, i just don't think it is for me. i want to live on the west coast, so i would choose usc over chicago or columbia, rather than bc. all of the other schools are higher ranked/would carry more weight with reputation on the west coast. if you want to be in boston/generally it is a great choice. i wouldnt have applied there if i didnt think so.

or also considering michigan's masters international program

Are you considering the peace corps masters international program at michigan? I dont know anything about michigan or that school, but I am an RPCV (South africa 09-11) and would highly recommend doing the MI program if your interested in doing PC! I think it would be an amazing opportunity to combine the 2 if its something youre really interested in. Let me know if you have any pc related questions!

I do believe there is a Spanish requirement, if my memory serves you must have the equivalent of 2 years of college-level spanish. Not sure how flexible that is, but I do know the south/central america slots are competitive. Not necessarily competitive in a very selective application process way, but in a mere numbers way, since so many people do have spanish skills. If you are only looking to serve in those areas, I would maybe reconsider PC, just because you really don't have a ton of say in the matter! Usually when you apply, there are a certain number of open slots a recruiter is able to nominate for, which may or may not be in your field or geographic area of interest.. all about being flexible!! But since you are considering an MI program, it could work out differently. They work with you more to get you in a sector that fits with your MA (i think michigan they only place you in youth development), so that will take priority over geography i bet.

good luck and let me know if you end up doing that program! i think it would be an amaaaazing combo...

For those who have heard from Columbia, when do you have to inform them of a decision?

I don't want to sound like a pain, but I STILL have not heard from Columbia and I'm beginning to worry. I don't want to contact admissions because I don't want to come across as overbearing, and I understand that they have rolling admissions, but I turned in my application way back in December, and it seems like almost everyone has heard a response.

Any advice?

Rjrose, I still haven't heard from Columbia, however I submitted on the deadline so I guess no surprise. Still, it sounds like a lot of people who end up hearing a bit later end up getting really good scholarships, so perhaps the wait is just because fin aid is thinking of giving you good money!