Fall 2012 Applications

- Eileen -

I had a phone interview with NYU on February 14th and they said they would get back to me by the 28th. But I still haven't heard anything. They said they were pretty overwhelmed with a huge number of applications so it would take them a really long time to get back to people.

Just got into Boston University ^.^

9,000 scholarship plus 20,500 in loans. Basically covers the complete cost. I LOVE Boston, and B.U so, so much but I don't know if it's worth choosing over Michigan, though it would be slightly less expensive.

Commence even greater confusion...

I had a phone interview with NYU on February 14th and they said they would get back to me by the 28th. But I still haven't heard anything. They said they were pretty overwhelmed with a huge number of applications so it would take them a really long time to get back to people.

Does anyone know if interviews are typical of NYU? I hadn't heard anything about interviews being part of the application process. Rivka, did they contact you directly about an interview? My application has been complete as of 2/2, (though all materials were submitted by 1/20) and I have not heard anything from them either, so I too am a little anxious...

Rjrose, I still haven't heard from Columbia, however I submitted on the deadline so I guess no surprise. Still, it sounds like a lot of people who end up hearing a bit later end up getting really good scholarships, so perhaps the wait is just because fin aid is thinking of giving you good money!

I hope that's the case because I would only attend Columbia if they give me tons of money since cost of living in New York is no joke! Thanks for seeing the glass half full :)

9,000 scholarship plus 20,500 in loans. Basically covers the complete cost. I LOVE Boston, and B.U so, so much but I don't know if it's worth choosing over Michigan, though it would be slightly less expensive.

Congrats!!!! The beauty and pain of having options, lol. :)

Is your application listed as complete?

Yes. I submitted on 12/31, and they said it was officially complete on 1/19 because THEY finally found my official transcript that I sent to them back in October.

For those who have heard from Columbia, when do you have to inform them of a decision?

I don't want to sound like a pain, but I STILL have not heard from Columbia and I'm beginning to worry. I don't want to contact admissions because I don't want to come across as overbearing, and I understand that they have rolling admissions, but I turned in my application way back in December, and it seems like almost everyone has heard a response.

Any advice?

I submitted on January 15, and was notified of my acceptance via email on February 17 at around 5:30 PM EST. They gave me until March 17 to make a decision. Their financial aid package was less than stellar. As much as I would love to go to Columbia and live in NYC, I frankly cannot afford to shell out that much money for a degree that will not yield a huge salary increase =\

Edited by cdweaz

Congrats! I am still waiting on my BU decision... do you mind sharing when you submitted your application and also when you received email confirmation that your application was complete from the BU School of Social Work?

My app was complete around 1/15 but I didn't receive the final confirmation until 2/16. In the email they said I could expect to hear back in 6-8 weeks and I'm really hoping it's closer to 6 so I can have some wiggle room before Columbia needs my deposit on 3/8. Did you have to wait the full 6-8 weeks?

I still have not heard from NYU and I am getting very anxious. There were some issues with my application and it was not completed until recently, so I assume I am at the back the the queue. Has anyone gotten a yes or no?

I got an email from NYU informing me that I was admitted with a scholarship on 2/15, and my application was complete on 11/7. In the email it says that their system is REALLY backed up and that he was only emailing me because their online system is delayed.

Also- for those people who are worried about the costs of living in NYC- while it's true that it is expensive to live in Manhattan, and most city schools are relatively expensive, the living costs don't have to be astronomical. There is a LOT of low-rent housing outside of Manhattan (and even some areas within Manhattan, such as Washington Heights) that are just a short subway ride away from the city. If you're considering school in New York, don't be averse to searching for apartments or housing in Brooklyn or Queens! Many areas in Queens have great low-rent apartments and are typically about 40 minutes away from the city by subway. Just an idea for those worried about NYC :-)

Congrats! I am still waiting on my BU decision... do you mind sharing when you submitted your application and also when you received email confirmation that your application was complete from the BU School of Social Work?

My app was complete around 1/15 but I didn't receive the final confirmation until 2/16. In the email they said I could expect to hear back in 6-8 weeks and I'm really hoping it's closer to 6 so I can have some wiggle room before Columbia needs my deposit on 3/8. Did you have to wait the full 6-8 weeks?

Thanks! I submitted on 1/15 as well, and my app was listed as complete on 2/07. Maybe that means you'll hear by next week! Best of luck :)

I eas complete around the same time, and I'm still waiting, if that does anything for you....

Congrats! Two awesome options!

Congrats! When did you apply and what were your stats, if you don't mind me asking? UGA is the #1 school I'm waiting to hear back from but I got my app in late (late January).

Have you heard anything from UGA yet? They said 4-6 weeks from the time your application is in, I've had mine in for 6 weeks and haven't heard back. I called them today and they just said to expect to wait another two weeks. Ugh.

Have you heard anything from UGA yet? They said 4-6 weeks from the time your application is in, I've had mine in for 6 weeks and haven't heard back. I called them today and they just said to expect to wait another two weeks. Ugh.

Still nothing. I've got six more days until my 6 week "deadline" is reached. This sucks.

Did anyone apply to Smith? I just got my acceptance letter, but no financial aid offer yet. For anyone that's been accepted, have you received financial info yet?

Hi, I will be attending Smith next year. I was notified that I received a $5,000 merit scholarship with my acceptance but I have not received any additional financial aid. I just finished my FAFSA and Smith's financial aid application last week so hopefully I will find out if I get any need based aid soon. I saw your post on the Smith thread, sorry you are having such a hard time making a decision between U. Denver and Smith! Smith was the only school I applied to, I was really drawn to the clinical focus, extended field placements and emphasis on veteran's mental health needs.

Congrats!!! That is not an easy school to get into!

Thank you!! I was really shocked - I honestly was not expecting to get in, so it was an awesome surprise. :)

Hi, I will be attending Smith next year. I was notified that I received a $5,000 merit scholarship with my acceptance but I have not received any additional financial aid. I just finished my FAFSA and Smith's financial aid application last week so hopefully I will find out if I get any need based aid soon. I saw your post on the Smith thread, sorry you are having such a hard time making a decision between U. Denver and Smith! Smith was the only school I applied to, I was really drawn to the clinical focus, extended field placements and emphasis on veteran's mental health needs.

I think I am now leaning heavily towards Smith - what appealed to me about U.Denver was the fact that they offer an animal assisted therapy certificate available for MSW students. However, they apparently also have a similar certificate which anyone can take/earn, so I think it will be better to go to Smith, and then earn the certificate at Denver. I'm really drawn to the extended field placements and clinical focus at Smith too. I like the block scheduling too, I feel like the separation of "academic" work and field placements will enhance learning and focus in each.

So the smith Financial Aid forms - they're separate from the FAFSA? I got an email telling me to fill out those forms, but when I've clicked on the link it just directs me to "fill out the FAFSA if I haven't done so already"

Thank you!! I was really shocked - I honestly was not expecting to get in, so it was an awesome surprise. :)

I think I am now leaning heavily towards Smith - what appealed to me about U.Denver was the fact that they offer an animal assisted therapy certificate available for MSW students. However, they apparently also have a similar certificate which anyone can take/earn, so I think it will be better to go to Smith, and then earn the certificate at Denver. I'm really drawn to the extended field placements and clinical focus at Smith too. I like the block scheduling too, I feel like the separation of "academic" work and field placements will enhance learning and focus in each.

So the smith Financial Aid forms - they're separate from the FAFSA? I got an email telling me to fill out those forms, but when I've clicked on the link it just directs me to "fill out the FAFSA if I haven't done so already"

Congratulations on Smith! I'm still waiting to hear back from them (I had an interview on Thursday and they told me I'd hear really soon so I just have to wait and see). They have another financial aid form that you have to fill out in addition to the FAFSA. This is the link: https://www.smith.edu/ssw/geaa/finaid_app.php Hope that helps!

Congratulations on Smith! I'm still waiting to hear back from them (I had an interview on Thursday and they told me I'd hear really soon so I just have to wait and see). They have another financial aid form that you have to fill out in addition to the FAFSA. This is the link: https://www.smith.ed.../finaid_app.php Hope that helps!

Awesome, thank you so much!! And I'm crossing my fingers for you, for an acceptance! :)

Congrats on the Smith acceptances! The clinical supervisor at my job got her MSW from Smith. In addition to running a private practice (therapy), she also provides one-on-one and group hours to the MSWs who are in the process of attaining hours towards their LCSW license. Seems to be doing pretty well for herself!

Anyone else NOT hear from BU yet? I am starting to get impatient....

I am very frustrated and disappointed with BU. My application status was listed as complete, but then another checklist link indicated that I had a recommendation letter missing although it was listed as submitted elsewhere on the application and my recommender never expressed having any problems.

I just noticed the discrepancy (their online system wasn't terribly user-friendly, IMO), and emailed admissions who said there was some glitch and needed the letter to be resubmitted. I realize they have a hojillion applicants, but what else am I paying an application fee for? I submitted over a month ago, and I have a tremendous amount of doubt that I would have been notified of the missing document. Now I have to wait until April for a decision? And longer for a financial aid decision?

I am very frustrated and disappointed with BU. My application status was listed as complete, but then another checklist link indicated that I had a recommendation letter missing although it was listed as submitted elsewhere on the application and my recommender never expressed having any problems.

I just noticed the discrepancy (their online system wasn't terribly user-friendly, IMO), and emailed admissions who said there was some glitch and needed the letter to be resubmitted. I realize they have a hojillion applicants, but what else am I paying an application fee for? I submitted over a month ago, and I have a tremendous amount of doubt that I would have been notified of the missing document. Now I have to wait until April for a decision? And longer for a financial aid decision?

I had the same thing happen to me. I found admissions easy to work with, though. I would like to know, though.