Fall 2012 Applications

- Eileen -

Just got my acceptance to UChicago with a $29,500 scholarship that is renewable for the second year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OmG! This feels AMAZING! I applied December 18th and received an email telling me that my app status had changed online. :-)

That is incredible!!! Congrats!!

Thanks arjayz - are you using Fastweb for scholarships? Do you know of any other websites?

No- my career interests are in a very specific field so I googled some federations that I know work in that field and found scholarships through their federations for people going into careers in the field. Just heard back from one of them that finalists are announced Tuesday! Fingers crossed!

On 2/8/2012 at 12:53 PM, Rivka said:

DearLouise, I'm not really sure if they still consider you for scholarships if you decline financial aid. Maybe send them an e-mail notifying them that you would like to be considered for scholarships? As for the username and password, I was wondering about that myself. I haven't gotten anything.

Arjayz, I imagine that Penn scholarships are based on a combination of academics and experience. I'm sure if someone had a huge amount of experience and low GPA or a really high GPA and little experience that they could get a scholarship. They give them out in varying amounts, I'm sure based on the total awesomeness of your combined GPA and experience. Speaking for myself, I was given a small to mid-size Dean's Merit Award and have a 3.78 GPA and 2.5 years of full-time inner city teaching experience and a 4-month social work internship.

I got 13.5/yr from Penn. I had a 3.7 gpa, 3 years of professional organizing experience and strong essays.

In comparison I got 19/yr from Chicago, 15/yr from WashU and I got into columbia but have not heard about scholarship.

I think I may be headed to uchicago.

Ellie, sorry I read your statement above wrong - I think you're talking about subsidized loans that folks are taking out now, like your husband who is in law school, and instead of the 6 months grace period it seems like they are already accruing interest this July.

Sorry, for some reason I was thinking your statement meant that any and almost all existing loans, past July will begin to accrue interest, despite the loans being frozen because the student went back to school, but this is not the case.

Thanks for the disclaimer. I know you're not a financial expert - this is a forum for goodness sake. :)

Edited by rjose

I got 13.5/yr from Penn. I had a 3.7 gpa, 3 years of professional organizing experience and strong essays.

In comparison I got 19/yr from Chicago, 15/yr from wash u and I got into columbia but have not heard about scholarship.

I think I may be headed to uchicago.

Wowza! Congrats on the funding!!!

I would be very, very cautious about thinking about loan forgiveness programs. Most of those are from federal funding which can change in the blink of an eye. You're better off paying off a loan quickly and saving on interest than paying it for a long time and getting the last little bit forgiven. I had $17,000 in loans for my undergrad, and worked my butt off to pay it off in 1 year, saving about $4,000 in interest by doing so. No, it wasn't easy. I didn't buy any clothes during that year, no vacations, basically no fun money for anything....I was paying over half our monthly income to the loan. But, it was nice 1 year out of undergrad to be completely debt free! (no credit card debt, paid cash for a used car)

This is very admirable. Paying off $17k in one year! Amazing! I had only about 8k in undergrad loans and I'm taking my sweet time paying them off, but this has totally motivated me to really consider spending less on clothes, my phone and eating out. Thanks so much for sharing!

Just got a call from UPenn that I was accepted! For those who were accepted- when did you find out about scholarships and financial aid? Another program I was accepted to needs an answer by next week and I don't want to send in a deposit without hearing about financial aid/scholarships from UPenn.

Just got a call from UPenn that I was accepted! For those who were accepted- when did you find out about scholarships and financial aid? Another program I was accepted to needs an answer by next week and I don't want to send in a deposit without hearing about financial aid/scholarships from UPenn.

Check your online profile because they updated mine with the acceptance letter and finacial aid package the same day. I got a letter in the mail from them 4 days after that.

Has anyone applied to CSU LA for the Forensic focus? I'm just curious because CSU LA is the only one of two schools that offers it so I assumed it would be competitive but haven't heard anybody mention they applied for it? Seems like most everyone is going for mental health or youth/families. Would appreciate any feedback on that program... Thanks!

Just got accepted to Simmons! They offered me a merit scholarship of $8,000 a year as long as I maintain a B average. Still waiting on Columbia, BU, and BC. BU just informed me that they misplaced one of my transcripts, so the wait will continue even longer!

Does anyone familiar with the Simmons program know anything about the training opportunity they have with the Harvard School of Public Health? I contacted the head of the program weeks ago, but he still hasn't gotten back to me. Time to try again!

Just got accepted to Simmons! They offered me a merit scholarship of $8,000 a year as long as I maintain a B average. Still waiting on Columbia, BU, and BC. BU just informed me that they misplaced one of my transcripts, so the wait will continue even longer!

Does anyone familiar with the Simmons program know anything about the training opportunity they have with the Harvard School of Public Health? I contacted the head of the program weeks ago, but he still hasn't gotten back to me. Time to try again!

Congrats! I'm in the same boat-BU told me Sunday that one of my LOR's is incomplete.

Congrats! I'm in the same boat-BU told me Sunday that one of my LOR's is incomplete.

Thank you! That's horrible! The same thing happened to me at a few schools. And my recommender went on vacation, etc. It was a complete mess. Good luck!

I just received a call from an admissions person at Washington University in St. Louis congratulating me on my acceptance!! (The website still says my app is under review). I have an interview next week so that I can be considered for scholarships.

I'm excited, but I've heard not-so-good things about WashU's social work program. Can anyone speak on this?

Thanks.

I'm excited, but I've heard not-so-good things about Wash U's social work program. Can anyone speak on this?

Congrats on getting in!

What not-so-good things have you heard? My co-worker applied. It's ranked #1. Her only thing was that it seemed pretty research focused when she's more interested in clinical.

Did they say it's standard to be interviewed for scholarships? (just asking b/c my co-worker is curious)

Congrats on getting in!

What not-so-good things have you heard? My co-worker applied. It's ranked #1. Her only thing was that it seemed pretty research focused when she's more interested in clinical.

Did they say it's standard to be interviewed for scholarships? (just asking b/c my co-worker is curious)

Thanks! I've heard that you have to find your own field placement and will be competing with students in two other social work programs in St. Louis. I've also heard that it isn't very rigorous (strange because they are ranked #1). These are just things I've come across on the internet so I do not know if they have any validity.

As for the scholarship interview, I was confused because I thought scholarship decisions were automatically made based on applications. I do not know if I am interviewing for specific scholarships, but she did mention that they needed more information about my interests and plans. *shrugs* I will let you know how that goes.

I have a friend who goes to WUSTL right now and she LOVES it - she says that it's a lot of work but worth it. Also, I know someone else who got interviewed for a scholarship but mine just came with my acceptance letter - maybe it depends on the scholarship?

Thanks for the info!

Just got an email that I got into NYU with a 15,000 a year scholarship! Probably not going there, but still good to get in! For those of you waiting on NYU, check your email!!

Congrats on NYU!! Is your admission decision also visible on the application website? When was your application complete?

Congrats on NYU!! Is your admission decision also visible on the application website? When was your application complete?

My application was complete on November 7, 2011. The decision is not available online; in the email it says: "I am writing to you because our official letter with additional details as well as our on line updates are delayed a bit" so I'm not anticipating the decision being on the website for a while.

Got accepted to Uchicago on 2/9 with $28,000 for the first year (renewable for the second year!). Also got accepted to Columbia on 2/8. Received my package in the mail today. Still waiting on NYU, WUSTL, UPenn. I am thrilled about both my acceptances, but am torn between which one I would pick. Always had my heart set on Columbia because of NYC and the name of columbia. But UChicago is offering a huge scholarship, and i've heard many good things about their program. However, finances are not the single most important factor for me, since I can afford both programs. I just need more clarity on which program is better, where I would get a better experience. Btw, I'm pursuing a clinical concentration. Any advice would be appreciated!

Got accepted to Uchicago on 2/9 with $28,000 for the first year (renewable for the second year!). Also got accepted to Columbia on 2/8. Received my package in the mail today. Still waiting on NYU, WUSTL, UPenn. I am thrilled about both my acceptances, but am torn between which one I would pick. Always had my heart set on Columbia because of NYC and the name of columbia. But UChicago is offering a huge scholarship, and i've heard many good things about their program. However, finances are not the single most important factor for me, since I can afford both programs. I just need more clarity on which program is better, where I would get a better experience. Btw, I'm pursuing a clinical concentration. Any advice would be appreciated!

I would really research both programs and would suggest even contacting a couple folks at both schools letting them know of your situation. Of course they're going to sell you on their school and program, but it's still worth listening.

I would also suggest visiting both schools. I know it's only two years, but you don't want it to be two miserable years. I love NYC and the lifestyle, but I've also never been to Chicago. My friend was debating between Stanford and Columbia for a PhD program and felt that Columbia was "cold" and the people just seemed "unapproachable" so decided on Stanford. So, by actually visiting the school, talking to faculty, and submerging yourself in the location/campus your decision may become a lot easier.

If you know of someone who graduated from the MSW from both Chicago and Columbia I would also suggested emailing or talking to both and asking them how their experience was – what did/didn’t they like about their program.

Hope this helps and ultimately this is a very exciting time in your life – you have choices between two really great schools so whatever decision you make, it will be a great one!

Edited by rjose

Just got accepted into UGA

Congrats! When did you apply and what were your stats, if you don't mind me asking? UGA is the #1 school I'm waiting to hear back from but I got my app in late (late January).